Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That's when I do my impression of a lighthouse with my headlamp! I swear the smaller the critter, the more noise they make.

I should clarify my earlier post; I was referring only to the AT, not other more dangerous areas. Would I keep a Snickers with me in Grizzly territory? Heck no! But East Coast means Black Bears and they are not known for aggressive behavior; doesn't mean they aren't capable, just not as likely.
    Ahh how I miss the lighthouse days. Can't wait to do that in a swamp!
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    what's the pct method?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    what's the pct method?
    PCT Method
    Scroll down a little bit.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    if you do hang your food, please do it well. nothing feeds bears more easily than poorly hung food on limbs too small, too short, knots not well tied, etc.

i, unless in a place like the smokies, keep my food with me. if something wants it, i want to have a say.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    As Stephen Colbert tells us, bears are the #1 threat to America, so I figured I would bring this one up again...
    And here I thought crooked politicians would be the #1 threat to America.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end type
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    I have some experience with black bears. I worked at youth camp in Manitoba for 8 years, and every day we served bacon for breakfast, we'd have a bear come by the camp to check out the smell. With around 100 kids on site with another 40 or so staff, it was important to get rid of the bear as fast as possible. We never considered not serving bacon, how could anyone ever suggest such a thing?

Anyhow, like it was mentioned before, black bears will run most of the time. In all those years of chasing bears, we only had one turn to face us. A baseball sized rock to the nose got it running. That being said, after spending 8 summers in the middle of nowhere, I'd agree that if you can hear it, it's small. The biggest noises were made by squirrels, porcupines, and skunks. But I've watched many a bear run through the boreal forest without making a sound. I'm saying that I'm standing less than 100 feet away, and I can't hear a thing. That made me think.

By the way, Iafte, did you see the Mythbusters where they proved the idiom of your avatar?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    PCT Method
    Scroll down a little bit.
    That is an excellent synopsis of it, IIRC, that is where I learned it, I think someone posted it over at HikingHQ. It does not emphasize learning to tie a middle of the line clove hitch while standing on your toes enough, I think. If you don't practice it at home until you have a solid mental image of the knot and the technique to tie it, you'll have a hard time of it in the bush. At least I did, but I'm a bit slow sometimes.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    That is an excellent synopsis of it, IIRC, that is where I learned it, I think someone posted it over at HikingHQ. It does not emphasize learning to tie a middle of the line clove hitch while standing on your toes enough, I think. If you don't practice it at home until you have a solid mental image of the knot and the technique to tie it, you'll have a hard time of it in the bush. At least I did, but I'm a bit slow sometimes.
    One thing I noticed about the PCT method when I used it was that it put more cutting action on the tree limb. You are pulling (and releasing) from directly below the limb instead of some angle. The bear line I was using at the time didn't drop easily when I raised it to remove the stick the next morning. I got it to drop, but for a minute I was a little worried. I have since gravitated to an arborist throw line (AmSteel Blue) that glides very well over limbs and think that might be a good choice for the PCT method.
    Youngblood AT2000

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    One thing I noticed about the PCT method when I used it was that it put more cutting action on the tree limb. You are pulling (and releasing) from directly below the limb instead of some angle. The bear line I was using at the time didn't drop easily when I raised it to remove the stick the next morning. I got it to drop, but for a minute I was a little worried. I have since gravitated to an arborist throw line (AmSteel Blue) that glides very well over limbs and think that might be a good choice for the PCT method.
    I bought that 725# spectra from Gossamer Gear, it was spendy but worth it. I think Gravity Gear sells the same thing for less. Mountain Laurel Design sells a slick looking kit with line, food bag, and a rock bag. That 725 is so slick it doesn't get hung up, it almost feels waxed. GI paracord is a really poor choice IMO, the outer sheath gets hung up and your rock bag won't slide down.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doftya View Post

By the way, Iafte, did you see the Mythbusters where they proved the idiom of your avatar?

Dave
    Yes I did. I saw it during the Marathon they did over the holidays.

I've seen black bears on the AT, none bothered us. The mother was a little weary, but once the kids were safe, she just slowly followed them.

My friends wife missed seeing a bear because my buddy who was in front screamed "BEAR!", she was 20 yards behind him and didn't get to see it because it ran off so fast.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast