Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird double layer
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Triangle

TRIANGLE SUSPENSION...a noobs flavor of suspension.

Ok here we go.

You see, as a noob, I found that I have a hard time dialing in my suspension to get a proper lay...too many adjustments...no doubt mostly due to lack of experience...but also I think because i'm a big dude...I believe it makes me more sensitive to pressure points and stuff like that. So I just spend to much time making adjustments.

Its minus forty degrees Celsius here in Northern Alberta...so I've been in my basement messing around with different suspension systems trying to work out a solution that would work for me.

And this is the solution I have come up with. I don't know if anyone has tried this style of suspension...but if not...I dub this the TRIANGLE.

I like dynaglide...but its only rated to 1000 lbs...I weigh 260 lbs. So I took 50 feet of it and folded it in the middle...so I'm using two strands insead of one. That gives me a 2000 lb load limit which should be plenty.

Then at that mid point I just Larks headed it to the whipping on the hammock...no splicing needed...love it.

Then I run the two strands of dynaglide through an elephant trunk, to another elephant trunk...and then I terminate it at the other end of the hammock with a marlin spike hitch.

So when you stand back and look at it...its a TRIANGLE ...the beauty is the adjustability of it because you can slide the whole thing to the left or the right without adusting any straps or knots.

So the way I do it...is I set the angle/sag...then I just adjust the height of the foot end by sliding the whole thing closer to or further away from the tree....works great I can make all sorts of adjustments super fast without touching any hardware.

The other benefit is that because of the way the triangle affects the angle of the tree strap...when your trees are very far apart you don't need to tie the tree strap as high on the tree...try it out and you will see what I mean. So this may be good for the vertically challenged as well.

The other thing I really love about this suspension is that it allows me to switch the hammock from sleeper mode to lazyboy recliner mode in just a couple of seconds...without making any adjustments to the hardware...love it.

So anyways...check out the pictures...let me know what you think.

Obviously there are all sorts of options on how to attach it to the tree...if you choose to use a marlin spike at the tree you will need to use a loop in between for safety sake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Triangle

Marlin spike hitch...or looped through webbing

Note the loop used for the marlin spike hitch...for the sake of safety.

And for those who prefer a lighter alternative...you can just go straight through the sewn loop of your strap too.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Triangle

Chair mode

Here you can see how I switched it from sleep mode to lazyboy recliner mode...but without touching the marlin spike hitch or making any adjustments with the elephant trunks.

I just slide the whole hammock left to right.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Oh ok, I get it now! Took me a minute....

Looks interesting...I'm sure there are pros/cons....

Nice!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Well that's something I haven't seen before! Looks really interesting. I agree with priller - there are obvious pros and cons but interesting!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    So your triangle takes the place of a single ridgeline and single end suspension. Why did you choose this method over a fixed ridgeline setup?

PS Its hard to "read" the meaning of text. I hope you don't take this as I think its wrong. I am just curious as to what lead you to this setup.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Triangle

Reasons for the triangle suspension

I have to admit I don't know much about the other types of suspension you mentioned...but here are the reasons I settled on this style.

easy easy easy

By folding the dynaglide in halfe and larks heading it to the whipping i'm able to avoid knots...and splicing.

adjustability...once I have the sag set to where I need it...I can adjust the height of the foot end in just seconds without having to make any changes to any hardware.

I dont have to touch the marlin spike hitch...or the elephant trunks...and I dont mess up the sag in the process.

You see...what I found difficult of conventional suspension systems is that any change I make on one side...has to be compensated for a bit on the other side...difficult for noobies...and I'm sure there have been some people who have gotten frustrated and turned off by it.

Am I making sense?

I would love to see some forum members try it out

Doubling your line doesn't raise your tensile strength. You're still working with 1,000lbs. The only way (theoretically) to increase your working load would be to braid the lines, creating a 3-fold cord.

Still, it's an interesting set up.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Dang it, I had written a whole message when it dawned on me what your where creating. I see it in the third message. You can essentially take you hammock from a sleeping bed to a camp seat by sliding the dynaglide in the elephant trunks. I get it now. I can do the same thing with my setup with cinch buckles and Dutch whoopie hooks but I would have to go over to one side and loosen then to the other side and tighten. You can do it all from one side or even the center of the hammock.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Interesting. I don't think I would adopt it though, extra lines are something I've tried to reduce in my hammock and ancillary equipment.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast