Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images

Hammock Gear Communication "intervention"

HAMMOCK GEAR regulars and friends, please read this objectively, as it is a true representation of my experience with Hammock Gear. It is not a slam, it is an honest account of my dealings with them. I am even leaving out the "dramatic" parts. Just facts

My $800+ HG Order experience:

Out of my 30 or so emails in now over 2 months, I have been replied to maybe 3 times. Out of 2 phone calls, I had no answers, and I was promised several calls that never came... I posted 1 complaint on HF and I got an IMMEDIATE reply from Thorwren. After I sent private messages, AGAIN, I got no reply. That leads me to believe that the best way to get their attention is posting in HF. If they would address this privately, I would not be posting this here.

A lot of my questions were really important and had to do with different fabrics being used. The problem is: I got my order before they even replied to me, and NEVER did they even acknowledge or answer the questions that I had about my fabric choice.

In the end, I was trying to help them with the communication problems and I tried to see what I could do to ease the communication issue and tell them that I forgive them, but none of those emails or messages were answered either.

If I were them I would fix it before they start losing customers, as I am seeing that I am not the only one with a bad experience lately.

TO THEIR CREDIT:

They sent me TWO DOWN PILLOWS for free, because I had so much trouble....which I thanked them for and told them that I forgive them, etc....still no reply from the 5 or so emails that I sent after that.

Then they gave me a 20% discount, which was really cool! I thanked them for that and have still heard nothing.

They shipped my order faster than most people have reported.

Their gear is REALLY WELL MADE and WARM!

MY POINT: Adam and Jenny have a resolvable problem, that is not being resolved. They seem like great guys and their gear is outstanding quality. I just fear that their rep may be tarnished by the unprecedented sales that they had and their slow to non-existing communication as of late. I am not trying to slam them at all, and i may even order from them again.

I just do not want them to forget the reason that a lot of people use cottage vendors...they are accessible and knowledgeable, along with making top notch gear. IT IS NOT ONLY THE GEAR.

I hope that their loyal defenders do not hate me too bad for posting this, but I assure you that it is all true and you can ask them if you want. I told them I would be posting this, and they said that they did not blame me. I REALLY hope that this leads to helping with the communication problem, and I am sorry that I have to be negative in such a positive forum.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Thanks for posting about your experiences. I know that most here dont like to hear complaints, but when Im buying gear from someone I appreaciate people like yourself that give an honest assesment of their interactions with the company-even if it may not have been a normal one.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I know exactly where you're coming from. I spent about the same as you did with them on a TQ, UQ, and tarp. With plans to buy more. But communication was very slow and a couple emails weren't responded to. I'm really happy with the gear and tout it highly to anybody that asks, but I've been considering trying a different vendor for my next round of purchases because of the communication problems. When dealing with custom gear and all the questions that go along with it good communication is paramount. Nothing was bad enough for me to write them off but I am open to a better option.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I know exactly where you're coming from. I spent about the same as you did with them on a TQ, UQ, and tarp. With plans to buy more. But communication was very slow and a couple emails weren't responded to. I'm really happy with the gear and tout it highly to anybody that asks, but I've been considering trying a different vendor for my next round of purchases because of the communication problems. When dealing with custom gear and all the questions that go along with it good communication is paramount. Nothing was bad enough for me to write them off but I am open to a better option.
    This is what I hope:

Adam and Jenny will read this and something positive will come out of it. That is my only motive. THANKS!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Any responsible company expects and appreciates feedback, good or bad. I hope, and I'm sure, they will get any issues resolved.

I know it's not an excuse, but I can't even imagine how crazy it must be for them dealing with us gear-crazed hangers, especially during certain times of the year.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I have ordered from HG twice, once prior to the new website and during the holiday sale. I spent more than I intended during the sale because I found the pricing way below my perceived value. I seems this was true for many others as well.

Applying laws of supply and demand, one option for HG may be less aggressive discounts. More profit from fewer orders would allow Adam and Jenny the opportunity to provide better service to those who value their products most.

Perhaps I'd own a lesser tarp or one less quilt if their prices were higher. But, I feel my HG products were worth the wait and worth more than I paid.

That said, I am certain that growing their business is a learning experience. I hope they take advantage of this feedback.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm one that never had an email fall through the cracks, although the responses weren't on the faster side of the spectrum (usually took a few days as compared to Papa Smurf at Dream Hammocks that has replied back within half a day to every request I've sent his direction).

Agree that their quality is great, though. I sure do love my Incubator and Burrow.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    My experience with HG was fine. My emails were replied to (a day or two later). I just kept in mind that they were crazy busy with orders.

My Incubator is the best UQ I've ever seen I will order from them again.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    I made huge allowances for the fact that they are cottage vendors but I had truly terrible service from HG and would never order from them again as a result. They seem to have so many supporters on here I thought maybe I was just a one off.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    My experience with HG was fine. My emails were replied to (a day or two later). I just kept in mind that they were crazy busy with orders.

My Incubator is the best UQ I've ever seen I will order from them again.
    I am totally in agreement with you on the quality... It is fabulous!

I am a very patient person. I expected to wait until after Christmas to get my order, and I had zero issues with the wait.

After 2 months of no replies to my major questions, one tends to get a little less patient, you know?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast