Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    ...with those temps and that wind you dont think about it.
    HNO is a lot like you, straight up genius, kind, honorable. Quiet and funny when he needs to be; and a laser beam on detail. He and Neutron are the smartest men I've ever met but again like you it's not something they broadcast.
    Ah yes, but it's the less intelligent ones of us that make the mistakes for you!
    Last edited by wisenber; 02-11-2013 at 18:09.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad you all are OK. I've been watching this thread and hoping you all would be safe, glad you were. Scary situation, but it sounds like it was handled well, and everyone there reacted appropriately. This reinforces the need to avoid hiking alone in those conditions.

Wisenber, I made the same mistake--trying to get by with less, so I didn't have to carry it. I definitely regretted that decision. In my case, it was the lack of more base layers to change into. If I'd had that, I think I would have been OK at Mt. Rogers. Hitting the best balance in weight vs safety is a difficult thing to do. I learned for the next time to just go ahead and carry the bigger, heavier pack.

It was really interesting to see the parallels in our experiences. I still get chills thinking about how absolutely impaired I was, being totally unable to do "simple" things like heating something to drink. In the end, though, like your room-service cocoa, my Hickery-brewed coffee was the magic potion that brought me back.

Thank you all for sharing your experience. This is a learning opportunity for everyone here, and hopefully someone's life may be saved because of it.

--Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Glad you all are OK. I've been watching this thread and hoping you all would be safe, glad you were. Scary situation, but it sounds like it was handled well, and everyone there reacted appropriately. This reinforces the need to avoid hiking alone in those conditions.

Wisenber, I made the same mistake--trying to get by with less, so I didn't have to carry it. I definitely regretted that decision. In my case, it was the lack of more base layers to change into. If I'd had that, I think I would have been OK at Mt. Rogers. Hitting the best balance in weight vs safety is a difficult thing to do. I learned for the next time to just go ahead and carry the bigger, heavier pack.

It was really interesting to see the parallels in our experiences. I still get chills thinking about how absolutely impaired I was, being totally unable to do "simple" things like heating something to drink. In the end, though, like your room-service cocoa, my Hickery-brewed coffee was the magic potion that brought me back.

Thank you all for sharing your experience. This is a learning opportunity for everyone here, and hopefully someone's life may be saved because of it.

The sad part is packing another 20 ounces would have made the difference for me. Windchill while in my hammock enclosed in a sock did not have a huge impact. However, standing around in it (even on a sunny morning) did.

The forecast was right on the 3-4 season bubble, and I packed for 3+ season. The problem is that it actually became 4 season weather.

After my last couple of trips, I believe I'll look at getting some more vapor barrier layers. I had really good success with using a VB shirt on a an icy night hike with stream crossings in the Smokies several weeks back. While it does not provide a lot of "heat", it certainly keeps you from losing what heat you do have. It also prevents sweating out and compromising base layers from carrying a heavy pack up a steep grade.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Reading about the weather up there made me realize I may not have boots warm enough for a RHK hike.
    For me my hiking boots were good but after standing around camp for an hour my feet did get cold. I could have used some kind of insulated camp boot.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Having done my share of night hiking, I don't believe that was a contributor..
    I agree and we were generating heat hiking and setting up the rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    You're onto something there Wisenbur, Wind chill is a measure of degree that's not always taken into account. Especially on the Roan! No matter what time of year its gonna be windy up there and much more so than anywhere else. I'd like to see some gear lists from everyone, including clothing with level of comfort. And if any, what you might change.
    I do believe the windchill was the contributing factor.

My Shelter and Clothing gearlist

Shelter
    DIY M90 Hammock
    Leighlo 15* UQ
    Leighlo 15* TQ
    WPB Sock made from Sil/Driducks/1.1 ripstop. I never felt the wind in the sock which contributed to me being very warm all night. I did not have to cinch the TQ around my shoulders which is normally my sign that I am reaching the limits of a TQ. I am positive that if I had been in a standard hammock/tarp combo my story would be different with the wind blowing so hard. The sock allowed the quilts to do their job.

Clothing

LW Marmot Power Dry undershirt
    Columbia loose fit wicking layer
    Midweight hooded fleece
    LW Montane Windjacket

ECWCS Softshell Level V pants
    Compression shorts

Smartwool Socks
    Keen Winter Boots
    Fleece fingerless gloves with mitten cover
    Smartwool cap

All of the above were used during the hike and camp. On the night hike in I had to shed a layer (Montane Wind Jacket). Knees to top of boots only were covered by the softshell pants during the whole trip. Highly recommend the pants for cold weather.

Camp clothes

Marmot Precip Jacket
    Montbell UL hooded down Jacket
    Montbell Alpine Light Jacket (Also used as pillow)
    Under Armour balaclava
    These were added to the layers above as needed in camp. I did pay close attention and would add insulation when needed and remove if I felt hot to keep from sweating. The Marmot Precip Jacket and softshell pants kept the wind at bay and let the other insulation work.

Backup

Smartwool Longsleeve Midweight shirt
    Smartwool HW 3/4 tights
    extra fleece hat

I never used these but would always carry them at these temps

Other Items that worked well

Granite Gear Nimbus Core pack
    Kahtoola Microspikes

Items I would rethink for next trip

Leave gravity filter and water bladder at home.Consider chemical treatment, Steripen, or pump filter. My gravity filter and water bladder worked but took too much effort to keep from freezing.

Consider a canister stove over alcohol. Quicker and hassle free. I think we could have had 2 canister stoves and extra fuel using the buddy system to pack it in. MM had one and it just seemed to have less hassle factor, bigger burner etc. Esbit would be a good backup. And before everybody starts defending alcohol stoves you need to know I have not carried a canister stove in probably 5 years.

Insulated camp shoes, Insulated camp shoes, Insulated camp shoes. I can tell you that it hurts when you get in the hammock and your feet start warming up

One other thing I did was carry lots of non cook high calorie food. I kept water and snicker bars in the hammock and would eat and drink a little in the hammock every few hours.

My takeaway is to not underestimate windchill. Not being able to use the shelter and not having a fire contributed also. Even if a fire had been possible, the effort trying to find dry wood near an AT shelter at night would not have been worth it. That time would have been better spent in the hammock staying warm.

Last but not least is always hike with people you know you can count on in conditions like this. I was fortunate to be with these people including Nuetron on the other end of the trail
    Last edited by hangnout; 02-11-2013 at 22:24.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    The canister stove was experimental on this trip. We had 4 ounces of alcohol/Gredeemeer/Cone as back up B and 4 Esbit for backup C.
    We kept the canister protected at all times. Even if boiling a round we'd shelter the canister in the parka between burns.
    I'd read the Windpro II conks out at 20F and I'd read success stories in the singles.
    I'd give it thumbs up after this hike but this is a large stove in my opinion and is best
    shared by at least another hiker and even more would be better. The pot we used held 6 cups which again in a shared setting would be positive-the pot had the thermal ring thing on the bottom and was very fast even in these temps. We never used the supplied windscreen-didn't need it in the shelter, and it worked fine the first night in the snow pit. I think it will be in the Gulf just to get some money out of it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Leave gravity filter and water bladder at home.Consider chemical treatment, Steripen, or pump filter. My gravity filter and water bladder worked but took too much effort to keep from freezing.
    I need to show you my bonsaifilter! It was made especially for winter water treatment and it works great. I'll make a write-up on it one of these days, but there are several on the forums who can vouch for it...

Even if a fire had been possible, the effort trying to find dry wood near an AT shelter at night would not have been worth it. That time would have been better spent in the hammock staying warm.
    I think that is right on. A fire is great, but if you have no protection from wind and precipitation, you are better off in the hammock. Save the energy for making a fire for when the weather clears.

I am going to have to check out that self-heating cocoa! Even if it got slightly warm, it's calories your body does not have to burn for heat. I was able to rehydrate overnight at Mt. Rogers with water that was still warm from home (insulated jug) and let me tell you it was certainly welcome!

You all should really consider contributing your experiences on the Hypothermia thread, to make that a comprehensive resource....
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I need to show you my bonsaifilter! It was made especially for winter water treatment and it works great. I'll make a write-up on it one of these days, but there are several on the forums who can vouch for it...
    Looking forward to seeing the Bonsaifilter!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Looking forward to seeing the Bonsaifilter!
    I am interested!
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

No fair baiting us like rats. You must post at least a few pictures, description, and sources for materials by the weekend! There is a still lot of winter left.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    No worries--I'll post something soon. It might not be until Sunday or Monday (busy week and I need to take photos) but I'll get it done. I've been meaning to show it off for the past year. I've given away close to a dozen, and the reviews have been good so far...
    --Scott <><

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast