Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    I'd like to see some gear lists from everyone, including clothing with level of comfort. And if any, what you might change.
    Cakes - here's a clothing list that worked for me from head to toe:

-sock liners, smartwool socks, insulated winter hiking boots, Neos Adventurer overboots, YakTrak XTR (feet warm and dry)
    -compression short, nylon pants
    -lightweight poly l-sleeve, poly s-sleeve, 100wt fleece l-sleeve, nylon l-sleeve button-up shirt, Lands Ends Outrigger jacket
    -Gander Mtn polartec glomitt, knit hat

This works for me while hiking, although it is a cold start.

During camp set up I added a lightweight poly bottom base, removed the nylon buttom-up shirt (soaked) added 100wt fleece top and M65 jacket liner; removed knit hat (bit wet) added Seirus ultra clava and Mad Bomber hat. I felt dry and warm while doing camp chores. In the morning I added a down parka until it was time to hike out.

I did pack additional layers, gloves and hats - fortunately I nor anyone else needed them but I will always pack them in these conditions.
    Last edited by Roche; 02-11-2013 at 11:40.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I was concerned about that as well. Many of the YouTube reviews I watched seemed to indicate that it would get up to 160 F or at least scalding hot.
    Maybe I just had a faulty heater?
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Images
    Why carry something that might or might not work when you can order room service?

"Spamburglar then comes to the rescue further by bringing me a steaming hot bottle of hot chocolate!"

I'll add a few photos (not MM quality) when the system allows me to.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Why carry something that might or might not work when you can order room service?

"Spamburglar then comes to the rescue further by bringing me a steaming hot bottle of hot chocolate!"

I'll add a few photos (not MM quality) when the system allows me to.
    That certainly worked much better!
    If no one had been there to help me, I think my only option would have been to grab my water bottle (which wasn't heated), bundle with as many layers that my fingers would allow and try to make it to the vehicle while leaving the rest of my gear. It would have been a tough slog, but I imagine the hike would have warmed me to some extent. If I made it to the vehicle, I would have just sat in it with the engine running and all of the heat on. Extra drinks, food and layers were also in the vehicle. I'd like to think that i could have made that hike, but I'm glad that I didn't have to find out.

Images
    ...and try to make it to the vehicle while leaving the rest of my gear.
    Keys? Now where did I leave my car keys?

Emergency plan F(1)a.03 was to forward pulk you down in your hammock sock. You drove and refused to relinquish your car keys (a great survival technique).

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Keys? Now where did I leave my car keys?

Emergency plan F(1)a.03 was to forward pulk you down in your hammock sock. You drove and refused to relinquish your car keys (a great survival technique).
    After having a key misplacement in the past that resulted in an extra five mile hike solo in the Winter, I now ALWAYS keep my keys in the same location along with my ID and emergency cash. I already learned that lesson the hard way. I won't even go out in pants that don't have a pocket for them.

That being said, that heavy space blanket I always carry will does make a serviceable gurney. It would probably survive the dragging much better than a ripstop hammock sock also.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    That being said, that heavy space blanket I always carry will does make a serviceable gurney. It would probably survive the dragging much better than a ripstop hammock sock also.
    I was planning on using Poof's external frame pack. It looked big enough to carry you

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Seriously, Poof's external and my hiking poles would have been put to use- the telephone poles as Hawk-eye once called them are a stretcher just waiting to happen and would support the lower body while the torso rides on the pack itself.

Gear list:
    Hiking up- merino body suit (i put it on in the afternoon and ran errands in town in it)
    added MSR soft shell pants for the drive up and the hike up Roan (I like them because
    they've got suspenders and when using them tightening the packs hip belt doesnt
    cause my pants to fall down crack side if you know what I mean). Smartwool
    mountaineer socks (one pair, never took them off the whole trip). MLD gaiters over
    Vasque Breeze. Boots on top of Kahtoola KTS aluminum crampons (which I think
    I've about worn out-twice the left rear came loose from my boot).
    On torso while hiking I added a Patagonia R1 hoodie and on top of that a Stoic
    softshell hoodie.
    Gloves where Smartwool ultrathin liners inside OR Metamorphs (loved them so
    much ordered another pair after getting back, it was for me the standout piece
    of gear on the trip. Carried a huge honking pair of over mitts and used them when
    digging out the pit for the stove first night, burying the water bottles and my boots.
    Loned them to Poof for the hike out.

When we got to the shelter area saw it was a sardine can, headed up to the trees and immediatly put on a Montbell Permafrost over everything. I never got cold on the way up, actually hiked purposefully slow (and for me that means crawling slow) to not build up heat. Had the entire rig up in 2-3 minutes. Sat in hammock and changed out the shell pants for montbell down pants (left the huge Nunatec down pants home this year and found I didn't need them), took off Vasque breeze and put on Exped down socks and the down sock overcovers.
    Next tried to help Spamburgler with his new underquilt with him in the hammock dial
    it in and we set up the MacIx hammock sock for him.
    By then Poof was set up so I dug a hole in the snow to ground for the Windpro....forgot that it is liquid coming out and let it go too long and when I hit it with the Bick lighter had a fireball shoot up the hole-I was just far enough away nothing got melted. Had Poof-a-Nog's cousine with handfuls of MMs, chocolate almonds, and Raisonets then buried one water bottle near poof, my boots near me.
    Then I drunk a quart of water and buried the rest near me.

I slept in the HNO Graf sock, double Traveler (carried ccf foam but didn't use other than to sit on while we boiled water), Leighlo 5-50 underquilt (rated 0-5F), under a Warbonnet Winter Mamba. I didn't stake the tarp portion down but did tie it off to both hiking poles to hold it down close to the hammock. Within 5 min's of being inside
    I had to take off the Parka. I slept warm to hot but it was sleep where you get woken up 50 times every time the trees would jerk bow and sway but evidently I did sleep because soon enough it was daylight.

Got up put the parka on, milled around camp doing vid and pictures. Around this time all started tending Wisenber...noticed Poof was about 2 or 3 steps behind him when she had gotten back in her PeaPod with a wave of nausea. So dug up her water bottle (I'd already had another quart after waking up), got her drinking and hand warmers near carotid and femoral arteries), so her's was more quickly averted.
    She warmed up and Roched helped us get cooking gear into the shelter which was almost empty by this time.....for a bit it was the Roan Infirmary

Take down using the one bag system so just crammed everything into a large cuben pack liner. Hiked out in same I hiked in with.
    Nothing I'd change next year but if they call or we think it will be well below zero then I'd sub out the Montbell down pants back to the nunatak ones.

I will admit to being whooped getting to bed at 0230, up at 0730 and slept 12 hours the next night at home.

For the last several deep winter hangs I'd relied on PeaPods and even double pod systems. I've gotten over my fear of not having one knowing the Leighlo 5-50 is fine and much lighter overall and besides Neutron had my peadpod

I'm not going to rant in this thread about the virtues of the sock except will say that the AirShip has arrived and is in my possession. Just when you think HNO has played all his cards you're wrong. The third gen waterproof breathable sock is another jump up in features and tech and 2 more ounces gone-amazing what this man can do with cuben. The Dirigible, like an old battership with approaching 50 total nights used, is headed back to port for a retrofit. The Graf will continue on in service until Savage when the AirShip debuts. Neither Poof, Spam, HNO, or I had any appreciable amounts
    of condensation and I'd attribute that to the wind. Even in the Graf fully battened down the wind would lift up the weighted tarp a bit and push in at the top of the SEEP-never enough to rob too much heat but maybe enough to move my moisture out.

OK that's my story and sticking with it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    MM, all details greatly appreciated. I don't want to think about what all your gear cost, but there's no question it was money well spent. Someday I want to get to know Hangnout's gear, and the man himself.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    ...with those temps and that wind you dont think about it.
    HNO is a lot like you, straight up genius, kind, honorable. Quiet and funny when he needs to be; and a laser beam on detail. He and Neutron are the smartest men I've ever met but again like you it's not something they broadcast.

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast