DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HAMMOCKgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The tie-outs don't affect how the hammock lays, just how roomy it seems. It keeps the bug net spread out and can keep floppy hammock edges out of your face...but the elastic's strength is nothing compared to your body weight, so it doesn't change the actual lay of the hammock.

I almost never use my tie-outs...so seldom that I've actually removed them from two of my four hammocks with tie-outs, and I've never added them to any of my DIY hammocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Same here. Although lately I have been using a tie out on the foot end of my latest hammock, but even then I debate with myself about the usefulness of it.
    Thanks Jeff and SGT - Glad to hear this. I see and asym in my future

Hammock
    ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I finished my first cover today. I made one out of netting first. I removed the zipper from the sleeping bags and first I sewed the zipper on the edge of the hammock with a double stitch:

I made reusable a pattern for my top cover from Tyvek and used it to cut the netting out. Then I roll hemmed the edges of the netting. and the while the zipper was still zipper together on the hammock body I pinned the netting in place making sure that the corners were positioned perfectly. I wasn't worried about a little extra fabric on the sides, but I wanted the head, foot, and assym. tie outs placement to be perfect so the zipper would line up. After pinning the netting in place I simply unzipped the zipper and and removed the netting and started sewing. If I had any extra/loose fabric in the sides I simply made a small fold to take up the slack:

Here's a pic of the finished top. I still have about 3-4 " of extra zipper on end that has to be trimmed as soon as I get some zipper stops:

Detail of everything zipped together:

i'm wondering it you could give me dimensions of the netting, just general width, i'l like to place an order for some, but i want to know a size for reference. thanks!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Downy goodness
    Suspension
    webbing
    I'd like to make a Explorer length HH clone. Any ideas on the fabric dimensions needed?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    OK, took my son's (9) gathered-end hammock and followed the directions. Everything was PERFECT... except...

I decided to go Velcro, since I had it. I sewed the net on 1/2 the hammock. then sewed the velcro on. I should have done the velcro first. I had all kinds of problems with the net as the material stretches. Now I have 4" more velcro'd net than I need... now what?

Any tips?
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 11-10-2010 at 22:28.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    I posted my location in Willis, Va. Double check to make sure I got it right. Thanks
    Tony
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    John - I had a similar problem sewing on the zipper on my attached HH style bug net. The netting stretched easier than the rip stop of the hammock body and as I sewed the netting I was actually stretching the netting. I used a seam ripper and removed that zipper half. Before attempting the 2nd time I made corresponding marks on both the zipper and the netting at certain points along the length (1/4, 1/2, 3/4) then as I sewed I was careful to not stretch the netting. I went slower than normal and every so often I would measure the distance to my next mark on the zipper and the net. That way if I was getting off on one or the other I could gradually adjust and not have a big chunk of excess netting.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Fantastic advice. I think I'll go one step further and pin it every 4" or so. Ripping out the seam now...

Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    John - I had a similar problem sewing on the zipper on my attached HH style bug net. The netting stretched easier than the rip stop of the hammock body and as I sewed the netting I was actually stretching the netting. I used a seam ripper and removed that zipper half. Before attempting the 2nd time I made corresponding marks on both the zipper and the netting at certain points along the length (1/4, 1/2, 3/4) then as I sewed I was careful to not stretch the netting. I went slower than normal and every so often I would measure the distance to my next mark on the zipper and the net. That way if I was getting off on one or the other I could gradually adjust and not have a big chunk of excess netting.

Hope this helps.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I'm glad the last post on this 3.5 year old post is only a month ago. I don't feel like such a thread zombie. It is the first thread that brought me to this forum last night. I ran into the Hennessey website a year or two ago when I started planning motorcycle camping. Now, I've made several trips, usually once a year but sometimes more but I hadn't thought of Hammocks till again a couple days ago. On a motorcycle forum a member was asking about camping off the cycle and I mentioned the Hennesey as an option. Another member liked the look but we debated making our own. They of course remembered this thing called the internet and did a search and found you guys.

My problem is, I've found references for guys taller than me and their lengths in hammocks. I'm only 6'2" so I'll follow the 6'4" guys dimensions. But, I haven't noticed a lot of weights being listed and the Hennessey hammocks for my weight class start at around 375-400 bucks. Alright, I'm currently hovering around 300 pounds. I was fairly in shape at 265. Last time I was cut and running 3 miles a day I was 245. Yea, I'm big boned, don't make me cry.

What allotments does a feller of my, caliber, need to make?

I haven't just been reading this thread, though there is a lot of it. I have been making my way through the Professors videos on youtube and am making a pass through the various forum sections. Hadn't found one entitled Husky yet, so had to ask here.

For the info I've gleaned so far, thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    By the way, Schneiderlein, and some others, are you using a dual foot machine? I hate to think that someone can make such good seems with one foot. I've limited experience with a sewing machine, well, not too limited but I can bump my way around one. I just never have put two lines of stitching so parallel.

Wow, it's been a long time.

Let's see. I was about 265. I used this fabric if I remember correctly: Taslan or Dupot variant called Supplex.

I basically used seat belts as my suspension device.

I went with the double rings wit ha ridged line instead of a Hennessey copy. At the time a lot of people were making these Hennessey/Spear hybrid hammocks. They give you the ease of a making a Spear Hammock and the cool Features of a Hennessey.

Weight Loss
    Over the past year and a half I've lost 50 lbs, and it's changed my life. I can actually buy "normal" sized clothing. I didn't realize how much carrying that extra weight effected me.

I listened to a guy named Brad Pilon. Check out his YouTube channel. He's a background in science and nutrition, and has read an awful lot of research on what happens to your body when it consumes and doesn't consume food. He debunks a lot of myths out there, and it's all based in scientific research that's been around since World War II.

Think about it: The food service industry has the capacity to feed 3,900 calories per day per capita. That's about twice what you need. Well, what do they do with all that extra food? They convince us to eat it all with slick marketing.

The one thing they don't want you to do is eat less. They'll have you eating all kinds of stuff, i.e., veggie this, and protein that, and sugarless this, and fat-free that, everything except what's needed.

Anyway, that's enough soap boxing.
    Last edited by funbun; 12-30-2010 at 01:09.

• + New Posts
  • Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast