Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghillieshot View Post
    How did you get your zipper to come fully off? I can't seem to find anywhere that will sell zippers long enough that have the end part that dis-attaches. Any ideas would be great thanks as I am wanting one that the netting can come off fully.
    Ghillieshot.
    Questoutfitters: For all your outdoor DIY zipper needs.

Just finished making my DIY Hennesey (gonna get to give it a run out on a trip next week). Thanks for the great directions. I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd share a couple tips for anyone who's interested. They're mainly related to the bugnet. The bug net is awesome, and while I understood the instructions HeadChange4U posted, I ended up taking a slightly different approach to measuring and prepping. I setup the hammock in the living room and pinned the bugnet in place. Then I marked the noseeum in situ. This allowed me to make small adjustments to the tension of the netting. I pinned it in place all around, then adjusted to make sure that there weren't any loose spots or tight spots. Making these constant little adjustments allowed me to dial in the layout. Then, I used a sharpie to mark out the pin locations, cut off the excess, and sewed the zipper on from there. BTW, noseeum stretches REALLY easily. So when sewing with netting, make sure that your not stretching the netting when feeding the machine. I didn't think I was, but it's a lot stretchier than I thought. In the end, I felt like I was feeding too much netting to the machine, but that's what it took to get the zippers lined up properly. Also, make sure that you sew the both zippers from the same end (I used the head end) and notone from the foot end and another from the head end. The reason is that if you do stretch it (you will) at least the zippers will line up okay because they'll start together. I also wanted to make sure that the zippers (in my case single pull detachable zippers) both started from the head end for ease of access.

Regardless, thanks a lot for posting the instructions. There's no way I could have done this without them. I definitely caught the bug and am already planning a second for my wife.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    OK, I have missed something in reading this. Is the hammock supposed to be a rectangle or a parallelogram in more of a diamond like shape. Is the tie-out really the only thing that makes the HH "Asymmetric"?
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    OK, I have missed something in reading this. Is the hammock supposed to be a rectangle or a parallelogram in more of a diamond like shape. Is the tie-out really the only thing that makes the HH "Asymmetric"?
    I'm no expert (having only just finished mine), but I sewed it together like a rectangle, and once it's whipped, it becomes a diamond. The tie outs making it asymmetric like a parallelogram. Without the tie outs, it lays symmetrically. The bug net is cut as a parallelogram though.

I have not gone to the bug net yet.... But just wanted to know how the hammock was setup while the net was sized? Was something put in to weight and spread it out?

Quote Originally Posted by arth33 View Post
    Just finished making my DIY Hennesey..................... . I setup the hammock in the living room and pinned the bugnet in place. Then I marked the noseeum in situ. This allowed me to make small adjustments to the tension of the netting. I pinned it in place all around, then adjusted to make sure that there weren't any loose .
    I have not gotten to the net yet but can't visualize how to get the hammock setup without me in it. Did you do the adjustment from inside or outside? Were you laying in it while pinning or did you add weight to the hammock some how?

Okay....... I just jumped in and did my own thing here. I finished up last night and I am happy to say the results are beautiful if I have to say so myself! Lol

I hung the hammock in the garage and tied out the pull outs tight to something heavy. I used a foot of 1/8 shock cord on each and the 3ft of Lash It. I placed the netting in place and pinned around the edges. I am not planning on anything else but the netting on this hammock so I just sewed it on. I did one straight section at a time and stopped and rehung it and adjusted the pins. I left one section open and used pennies for weight to keep it closed.

It was windy when I tried to get some outside pictures but I will try to post more later.

I made my own suspension as well. I made UCRs from Zing It and a fixed ridge line from ZI too. I made Diamond knot loops from Amsteel and put the Ridgeline through the whipped end and looped over the end loop. I put a sliding constrictor knot on the end from orange Lash It and it holds the suspension onto the Diamond knot. Hammock weighs in at 378g and total with suspension it is 440g or 15.5ozs. I will have to see how it goes this weekend..... First trip out.

Quote Originally Posted by bjanzen View Post
    Okay....... I just jumped in and did my own thing here. I finished up last night and I am happy to say the results are beautiful if I have to say so myself! Lol
    Nice work! Sorry, I was out of town for a bit there. But yes, I did exactly what you did. Set it up in the living room without me in it and lay the netting on top and pinned it down. I tightened and adjusted it a few times to make sure that the tension was even throughout. Because of the structural ridgeline, I don't think having weight in the hammock changes the dimensions required for the hammock too much. I screwed up the sewing a little, but the netting is pretty even and taut with me in it.

Nice looking hammock, good luck out your first trip out!

Okay..... Updates. I flew up to RI and stayed 4 nights. I spent the first three nights in my new DIYHH and loved it. It was such a huge improvement over my old Speer style. I had no issues falling out, my knees hurting, or my back hurting. I think I actually slept on my side and stomach a little bit during the night. I didn't figure out exactly where my head felt best but I didn't need a pillow or props under my knees for support. I am very pleased with the results and now need take some time and make a good tarp for it. I have two tarps and neither fit right...... So next project in the works

Hammock
    Diy DL Asym with bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I have spent the last week reading this thread and have taken notes. I bought some ripstop from a local store. I am going with an 11ft piece x 60 inches. I'm affraid that my ripstop may only be 1.1 oz but can't say for certain as it didn't list the weight on the bolt. I'm going to go ahead and make it anyway. I'll try it out. If it won't sustain my 220lbs than maybe I'll give it to the wife. I was ready to pay close to 300 for a brand new hammock system. I only went to research a way to make my own UQ. That's when I came upon this thread. Now I'm going to make my own. Very excited. I have no sewing experience except a pillow I made back in middle school. Many years ago. I dug out this old 1969 kenmore machine and brought her back to life. It took some youtubing and some practice but I finally have the machine working quite well. I've just hemmed all 4 sides of my fabric. Now on to rolling and whipping.

This brings up a question: I understand that my ridgeline will make its' way through the whipping and be secured there. I understand that either my suspension will secure to the whipping itself as well as ridgeline, or it will secure to a loop that is secured to the whipping. My question is won't the knot simply slip of the end of the whipping? Or do I need to tie a knot in the actual whipping itself to make a kind of stop? I see Hennessy uses some sort of plastic piece at the end of the whipping that will catch whatever knot tries to slip off. It also has 2 melted holes through the whipping itself that the ridgeline and suspension line weave through and wrap around. Any reason I shouldn't try to copy that? Any insight is appreciated.

Also, Thank you to everyone who has offered any of the previous insight in this thread. A big thank you to Headchange4u for starting this thread. It is 7 years old and still going.

• + New Posts
  • Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast