Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

DIY Hennessy

headchange4u,

Really nice work. Thanks for the post.

One question: You stated that this hammock lays flatter than any other you have tried. Have you ever tried a different hammock as that was as wide before?

One of my pet theories is that wide enables flat. My first successful hammock was full fabric width (58 inches IIRC). It lies quite flat. I was considering narrower for the next design, but may rethink that decision.

Thanks for sharing your work,

Tom

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have 3 other homemade hammocks and 2 are 60" wide one is 55". They don't lie near as flat as this hammock. Like I said before, I think the roll whip is the reason the hammock lays so flat.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I think the reinforcements on the HH are just that, reinforcements. The shape of the netting as a whole is what gives the HH it's really asymm. shape. The hammock I made does have a distinct asymm. shape but adding zip on top portion will further define the shape. Even if the reinforcements were not present on the HH netting you would still get the same shape on the corners because of the shape of the bug netting is cut. We also have to consider that the triangle patches on the corners are just there to give HH a cleaner, more finished look.
    Well I could agree with you about the bug netting determining the shape ..... except ....

If the bug netting is determining the shape, it seems logical to me that the bug netting would then be under stress and pulled tight when I'm actually in the hammock. This is simple not true. The bug netting is hanging loose side to side. From end to end the netting is not as loose, but it is also definitely not pulled tight or even under any stress.

So, if the bug netting determines the shape, then it is totally beyond my comprehension how it can do so without any stress on it.

The hammock material itself is pulled tight, but the bug netting is simply not under any strain at all.

Also, in my experience, the bug netting would simply tear if put under much stress anyway.

So, how do you propose that the bug netting is holding the shape??

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Well I could agree with you about the bug netting determining the shape ..... except ....

If the bug netting is determining the shape, it seems logical to me that the bug netting would then be under stress and pulled tight when I'm actually in the hammock. This is simple not true. The bug netting is hanging loose side to side. From end to end the netting is not as loose, but it is also definitely not pulled tight or even under any stress.

So, if the bug netting determines the shape, then it is totally beyond my comprehension how it can do so without any stress on it.

The hammock material itself is pulled tight, but the bug netting is simply not under any strain at all.

Also, in my experience, the bug netting would simply tear if put under much stress anyway.

So, how do you propose that the bug netting is holding the shape??
    When you get all the way diagonal, the bugnet IS under tension. Not a whole lot - it's got some extra material to it - but when your shoulder and knee are all the way into the tie-out corners, the net defines the shape.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The fleece bags only come with a one-way slider. I had to get an extra slider and put it on there. I salvaged one from a kid's school backpack, but if you don't have any handy they're not very expensive.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    When you get all the way diagonal, the bugnet IS under tension. Not a whole lot - it's got some extra material to it - but when your shoulder and knee are all the way into the tie-out corners, the net defines the shape.
    Sorry - not on mine. I'm diagonal as far as I can get. My feet at one tie out and my head at the other. As I wrote - no tension at all on the bug net.

Also, do an experiment - take some bug netting and put about 150 lbs tension on it. My experience with bug netting indicates that it will tear long before you get to 150 lbs. In order for the bug netting to hold the shape of the HH asym - it's got to hold the weight of the occupant.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 03-03-2007 at 18:02.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Sorry - not on mine. I'm diagonal as far as I can get. My feet at one tie out and my head at the other. As I wrote - no tension at all on the bug net.

Also, do an experiment - take some bug netting and put about 150 lbs tension on it. My experience with bug netting indicates that it will tear long before you get to 150 lbs. In order for the bug netting to hold the shape of the HH asym - it's got to hold the weight of the occupant.
    Well maybe what I'm noticing is due to my ULB being a bit to short for me. I dunno.

As far as the forces involved, almost all the force from your weight is distributed longitudinally along the body material. I doubt the sides even have 50 lbs. of force in most places, and the bugnet should be comparable.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    As far as the forces involved, almost all the force from your weight is distributed longitudinally along the body material. I doubt the sides even have 50 lbs. of force in most places, and the bugnet should be comparable.
    In that case, the bug netting cannot be holding the shape of the HH. As I said, laterally, the netting is totally loose - no tension in it whatsoever.

Also, if the bug netting is what determines the shape for the HH, then these attempts at a DIY HH shape without bug netting or with removable bug netting are doomed to failure. Remove the bug netting and lose the shape. Seems like a Quixotic endeavor if you really believe the netting determines the shape.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 03-03-2007 at 19:44.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    In that case, the bug netting cannot be holding the shape of the HH. As I said, laterally, the netting is totally loose - no tension in it whatsoever.

Also, if the bug netting is what determines the shape for the HH, then these attempts at a DIY HH shape without bug netting or with removable bug netting are doomed to failure. Remove the bug netting and lose the shape. Seems like a Quixotic endeavor if you really believe the netting determines the shape.
    I didn't say there was NO tension, I said there was LESS tension than what you were describing. But I'm done arguing - I'm not doing a stress analysis on my ULB to prove this to you, and I'm not making one of these anyway. At least not yet.

Since we're nit-picking, the adjective "quixotic" isn't capitalized unless you're using the proper name of Cervantes' character.

Images
    I think the shape is formed by the netting and the tie-outs.

I think the rolling and having the ridgeline through the whipping, loads the hammock material different from the normal speer style. I think the rolled part is taking the force off of the edges. Unlike the Speer style where the edges take a lot of force depending on the way you whipped them. The netting is holding up the edges, hence giving shape to these. The only load you will feel on the netting is the load from the material it is holding up.

The side tie-outs pull out the edges showing a greater shape.

I am going to make mine next week sometime. I still hold to my opinion that the ridgeline though the whipping is as important and the rolling itself. More to come on this after I do one.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast