Hammock
    WBBB 2layer
    Tarp
    DD 9x9
    Insulation
    HG 0* Burrow
    Suspension
    Woooooooooopies
    Nice! i wouldnt of got rid of my HH if would of thought of that!

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been sort of working on copying this hammock... My bug netting came in recently and was thinking of working on it, but wanted to figure it out before jumping in and doing something that will take hours to un-stitch. After doing some thinking I have 2 questions.
    Because I'm not sold on the side entry... (don't want to hassle with zippers mostly)
    1) Is it considered mostly "safe" to put in a bottom entry like the older style Hennesy? I've thought about it and think I have a good way to keep the hammock from failing (knock on wood). One of the posts with pictures I think had a bottom entry.
    2) The real questions (because I'm probably going to try it anyway? ) How long is the entry slit? As far as placement, next to the feet area? Will I want to use a stretchy fabric for reinforcing the slit, or would some poly webbing work?

*Edit: If I wanted to avoid cutting a slit in the bottom of the hammock could I just do a "side" entry with a 3 foot chunk of velcro?
    Last edited by Thunderchi1d; 12-31-2012 at 13:07.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I like the lay-out. I have some of the same elements build into mine. Question: full or 3/4 under quilt? I want to finish it and hang it to find the best placement for some of the tie-outs. I am thinking of making an equipment pocket in the under quilt. what you think?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Insulation
    Self-inflating pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderchi1d View Post
    1) Is it considered mostly "safe" to put in a bottom entry like the older style Hennesy? I've thought about it and think I have a good way to keep the hammock from failing (knock on wood). One of the posts with pictures I think had a bottom entry.
    It should be plenty safe to put in a bottom entry. You're just going to have to cut a big slit down the middle.

2) How long is the entry slit?
    From the whipped end to basically where your butt is when you lay in the hammock. So probably about half way.

As far as placement, next to the feet area?
    Right down the center of the hammock. When you lay asymmetrically the pressure from your feet bunches the fabric up down the center (where the knee ridge is typically formed) closing the slit. You might not need omni tape to keep the bugs out (someone said not to use full Velcro) but it will help keep the slit closed.

Will I want to use a stretchy fabric for reinforcing the slit, or would some poly webbing work?
    You probably don't want to use stretchy fabric, but I bet scrap rip stop or any kind of webbing will work fine. Someone in this thread used webbing or grosgrain, not sure which.
    *Edit: If I wanted to avoid cutting a slit in the bottom of the hammock could I just do a "side" entry with a 3 foot chunk of velcro?
    It may work, but I'd be worried about the difficulty of getting in a 3 ft slit on the side. I'm also not sure it would self close, which i think is the biggest benefit of the bottom entry. If you're going to put something on the side do a full zipper. It's probably the most popular mod for the HH anyway.

I should note that I've never seen a HH. Everything I said was cleaned from this and other threads discussion making an HH clone. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Love the DIY idea... I have a Hennessy with the bug net of course, but would love to have a net-free design for winter use. No use for the net then, and it should make a slight difference in weight and bulk (so my 0* underquilt has more room in the pack! I might have to try this one out.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    DIY Hennessy
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You all are right about the side entrance . Time to make a new hammock I'm not very bummed though because It was a good practice hammock and didn't cost me very much. I have tweaked the design some out of personal preference, and will post some pics when I get done... (may have to be reminded, also may not qualify as a Hennessy anymore...) Anyway was thinking about the whole getting the fleece sleeping bags for their zipper thing and thought that it would also be a nice excuse to try to make a few other gear things with the fleece (not hammock related).

Just wondering, as far as materials go, if the 1.1 oz ripstop nylon from DIY gear supply (backwoods day dreamer) will be durable enough. I'm just looking for additional input.

Smile We finally did it.

Thanks to Headchange4u for starting this post. We finished our version of the HH clone and hex tarp. Now we just need to put it into use. We are still tweaking it, so we don't have final weight. We purchased most of our materials from DIY gear and used their suggestions on the Hex Tarp. Thank you DIY Gear. Great place to purchase from and super quick shipping.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Has anyone made this in a 11' foot body? I made this one a year ago, and it felt a little short for me, or at least I couldn't get it to lay right for me. I was wondering if the length contributed to this, the section that is sewed together on the ends, etc?

Thanks,

Question Hammock Newbie with some questions about HC4U's design

Ok, this is a great site and a really great thread! Thanks to all who have posted. I'm a total newbie to hammocks, and I'm tired of tenits (for the obvious reasons to all of you!) I'm going to be hiking/camping in Yosemite in Sept, and I was looking on ebay for a good used hammock, but was confused/concerned about the amount of crappy looking or extremely expensive hammocks there, so I started to search the web for a DIY, and ended up here.

I have a few questions about HC4U's design that hopefully someone who has made one can help me with...

1) He uses 1.9oz ripstop, and it appears that he only uses one layer, correct? I've seen a design with two layers of 1.1oz that allows a pad to be slid between the two layers for insulation. Anyone have experience with this design?
    2) I've seen another design that uses a rope loop through a tube sewed along each end of the hammock instead of bundling and whipping. Has anyone had experience with this approach and what are the advantages/drawbacks?
    3) I've seen these fancy ridgelines that are adjustable, but is that necessary? Once you set it to the length that's best for you, won't you keep it at that length? Also, I would think that you need to have a very strong ridgeline if it is expected to carry some of the load if you are too tight on your suspension straps. Is this true?
    4) Has anybody had experience just using Tyvek for a fly?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
    Xzzxzzx
    Last edited by xzzxzzx; 03-29-2013 at 13:52. Reason: got some questions answered

• + New Posts
  • Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast