Presser Foot Selection ???.....

I've been searching/reading about sewing techniques/hammock tarp construction and I'm getting ready to embark into uncharted territory for me.

I'll be using a 251-12 and was considering a couple of items: roller presser foot, double fold hemmer (1/2") and a 1/2" edge guide presser foot. Will any of these prove to be helpful and improve results? Any ideas, experiences and opinions will be greatly appreciated.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All Good Medicine,
    Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Horse View Post
    I've been searching/reading about sewing techniques/hammock tarp construction and I'm getting ready to embark into uncharted territory for me.

I'll be using a 251-12 and was considering a couple of items: roller presser foot, double fold hemmer (1/2") and a 1/2" edge guide presser foot. Will any of these prove to be helpful and improve results? Any ideas, experiences and opinions will be greatly appreciated.....
    Never used a roller presser so have no knowledge of how useful they'll be.

It's been my experience that both of the other two options take some practice to get used to using. IIWM, I'd try out each of them with some cheap cotton cut into maybe 5 or 6 inch wide strips so you get plenty of mileage out of it. Start with straight lines and then work your way into cat cuts until you're happy with your skill level.

I definitely wouldn't start with the tarp as your first project with either of the feet.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I have a roller presser and love it for thin slick materials like coated 1.1 ripstop. Most of my day to day sewing I use the 1/2 guide presser that came with my 201 machine.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Yes, practice is in the cards for me regardless of the option I employ. I have a healthy supply of scraps and will purchase inexpensive material just to practice on. I won't begin a serious project till I'm confident of my skills. Till then, practice, practice, practice....
    All Good Medicine,
    Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I use a roller foot for slick materials as well. You'll need to play with the presser foot pressure adjustment to get the best results.

I have never been able to get a hemmer foot to work for me. Others find them helpful. You pays your money and takes your chances on that one.

The edge guide foot is one I have never used. I use the presser foot edge or marks on the base plate as a guide. Not sure I would see any benefit to a special foot but who knows. I don't have one and have never used one so I feel no need for one but that does not mean you will not find it handey.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    On my Consew I use the hem foot in the center picture. 3/8 finished hem, I have it mounted to an extra plate that covers the bobbin so it does not need adjustments often.

Works really fast and straight thread lines after a bit of practice
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    I use them quite often and on straight edges it makes consistency easy. Edge guide feet are nice for ensuring distances from the edge but aren't really beneficial on thin materials when using a folder. For top stitching a flat fell or french seam they make nice straight edges. Just make sure you have the correct sided foot (they come in measurements off of the needle either left side or right). I used a roller foot a couple times but haven't used them for production ever.

For beginners a good hint is to measure how much material your folder uses and measure the distance from edge of fabric to the left side of your presser foot (on my 1/2 double turn folder i need 3/4 for the fold plus 1/2 to the needle plus 1/4 to edge of the foot.. so I would make a mark at 1 1/2). Always keep this mark directly on the left of your machines presser foot and you will have a consistent amount of material in the folder and that prevents the rope look on your hem. It helps with practice and once you get the hang of it the lines aren't necessary.

On curves I would skip the folder. There are folders made that can do it (AMF Reece makes some), but your volume would have to be very high to justify it.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I agree with Pag.
    While it's certainly possible to roll a nice edge without a folder attachment, it provides a consistant look and allows me to move through the fabric faster.

Below is a photo of joining noseeum netting to the edge of a hammock body using a 3/8" full turn folder. I can keep my eyes and hands focused on ensuring that the fabrics are lined up 8-12" in front of the needle, instead of aligning the stitching on the hem.

Once everything is lined up the way you like it. My folder can be screwed on and ready to go in less than 15 seconds.

Another tip - I buy the wider teflon feet and sand them down on one side or the other to just the right width. This makes it easier to hold the stitching (or zipper teeth) right up against the edge of the foot. (I buy the ones with the hole, not the slot like shown in the photo)
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts