Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Boseman,

I think once I completely destroy mine, I'll just see if I can find some OCF or even a wide CCF and it should work fine as a substitute.

I might even try a good thick windshield auto reflector, as some are coated in Mylar and it would maybe even be pad and space blanket in one.

Images
    I still own 2 of 3 HHSSs that I acquired over the years. My original pad had quite a few holes poked through it, most happened during my learning phase. Mostly my fingers would poke a hole through, so I learned to be more careful with my fingers. And if I am doing any moving of the pad, I try to keep either the UC or space blanket between my fingers and the pad, which after all has no shell to protect it. If it did, it would weigh a lot more.

I also learned not to worry too much about those holes, they did not seem to noticeably affect warmth, and were pretty easy to patch with seam sealer when I would even bother, But patched or not, the pad seemed about as warm after 6 years as it was originally. I love the way that pad is shaped so as to wrap around you more or less. It is a huge amount of warmth for the weight, considering it is full length.

It has a reputation for being bulky, but I don't really see it, considering I have been able to get both the pad and UC back in the original sack, which is at least as small as any of my UQs in their stuff sacks, especially if you included an UQ protector. But I have never used the original sack, just too much hassle getting it back into that sack, and a good opportunity to tear it.

But my newer pads- though not all that new- have no holes. I think that is mainly because long ago I quit taking the pad out while breaking camp, and then having to reinstall it during set up. I like to either stuff the entire thing into a good sized compression sack or into my pack. Hammock, space B, pad and UC and sometimes even my TQ as in this pic, it all goes into one sack or into my pack. Like this, though I do have lighter stuff sacks than this one and of course stuffing into a pack adds no weight:

After it is in the sack or pack, then things are compressed further either with the compression sack or as I stuff more gear into the pack.

But I have also had good luck removing the pad and putting it into a fairly large compression stuff sack maybe with some other items, then compressing the sack and quickly enclosing the hammock and UC into snake skins. It seems to really help if I don't do any compression of the pad until it is inside a protective sack or pack.
    Apparently, signature that I used from 2006 no longer tolerated so now deleted.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm going to pick up a few of these this year to try out.
    http://www.coghlans.com/products/thermal-blanket-8544
    They seem to be more flexible than the bubble wrap, and more durable than the space blanket. They also fold down into a nice compact package that can very easily be slid into a pack.

Hammock
    HH Exp Deluxe 2QZQ mod #4, WB XLC
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    JRB + HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I like to either stuff the entire thing into a good sized compression sack or into my pack. Hammock, space B, pad and UC and sometimes even my TQ as in this pic, it all goes into one sack or into my pack. Like this, though I do have lighter stuff sacks than this one and of course stuffing into a pack adds no weight:

After it is in the sack or pack, then things are compressed further either with the compression sack or as I stuff more gear into the pack.

But I have also had good luck removing the pad and putting it into a fairly large compression stuff sack maybe with some other items, then compressing the sack and quickly enclosing the hammock and UC into snake skins. It seems to really help if I don't do any compression of the pad until it is inside a protective sack or pack.

What size sack will hold the HHSS, UC, underpad, SB, TQ and Hex Fly in snake skins? I'm looking to buy a tapered dry bag to fit into the stern of my kayak - it comes in 20L or 35L sizes... any idea required sack volume for this setup?

Thanks

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    JRB + HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    I'm going to pick up a few of these this year to try out.
    http://www.coghlans.com/products/thermal-blanket-8544
    They seem to be more flexible than the bubble wrap, and more durable than the space blanket. They also fold down into a nice compact package that can very easily be slid into a pack.
    I just bought a very similar blanket yesterday:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sport...h-All+Products

I plan to test sleep it this weekend...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    What size sack will hold the HHSS, UC, underpad, SB, TQ and Hex Fly in snake skins? I'm looking to buy a tapered dry bag to fit into the stern of my kayak - it comes in 20L or 35L sizes... any idea required sack volume for this setup?

Thanks
    Sorry, I'm not sure, in the pic that is just a cheap relatively heavy sack from WM that only compresses from the sides, and it will definitely compress more than what you see in that pick. But the entire thing ( except tarp which I pack in skins separately ) will also go down into my 4000 CI Golight Pinnacle. At 1st it fills up the entire pack, but easily compresses right down into the bottom area of the pack as I add other stuff onto the top. I'd say go with the bigger choice as it makes it easier to stuff the entire package inside it and then it can compress down about as small as the smaller one, or you can add other "must keep dry items" into it also.

Keep in mind that sack in my picture does not compress at all from the ends, it only has 3 straps around the sack that do a so-so job of making the package skinnier. So I feel sure I could make that package smaller with a different sack. But also keep in mind that WM sack contains:
    1: Explorer UL hammock
    2: pad, plus kidney/torso pad and a space blanket
    3: overcover
    4: undercover
    5: and one 21 oz Golight Ultra20 TQ!

So I think the volume of all of that is quite acceptable though it is obviously more volume than I need if I am just trying to compress a down UQ. OTOH, probably not a whole lot bigger than a lot of full length synthetic UQs all by themselves.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-31-2013 at 11:29.
    Apparently, signature that I used from 2006 no longer tolerated so now deleted.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I have been thinking the same thing. I have several yards of thinsulate I have had around for years (a quilt that I never finished). I was thinking that maybe a layer of thinsulate inside of the undercover would work well without adding the bulk of other materials. Maybe a flannel cover for the thinsulate. Then I get to thinking about the packability of the two together. Not all that compact.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Keep us updated on how it works.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    I have been thinking the same thing. I have several yards of thinsulate I have had around for years (a quilt that I never finished). I was thinking that maybe a layer of thinsulate inside of the undercover would work well without adding the bulk of other materials. Maybe a flannel cover for the thinsulate. Then I get to thinking about the packability of the two together. Not all that compact.
    No need to sew fleece on it just stuff it in there, who cares if it looks neat or an occasional leaf sticks to it, granted i guess its nice. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. Stuff it in and forget.
    other insulation ideas are Insul-Bright Fabric.
    http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Insul-...VVviewprod.htm

or

Pellon Metalized White Insulated Fleece
    http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Pellon...VVviewprod.htm
    Last edited by Bosman; 02-10-2013 at 13:57.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    JRB + HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles

Update:

I tried this Sportsman's Space Blanket this weekend, and do NOT recommend it for use in the HHSS. IMO, this SB is too heavy/thick relative to the mylar SB sheets so that the OCF pad does not adequately conform to your back as designed.

My test was outside temp in low 30s with wind chill at about 25. Bottom insulation was stock HHSS with this Sportsman's SB... could never get warm backside. The next night (upper 30s temp), I utilized the think mylar SB sheet and could tell a noticeable difference in underside warmth (more than just the slightly higher outside temp).

My purpose for buying the Sportsman's SB was that it would be more durable than the flimsy mylar sheets... but the HHSS system is not a good application for them. I'll now be using mine for a walkoff mat on the ground.

Let me know if anyone else has different results...