DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

TQ/UQ Suggestions

Hopefully I can get a little help from you guys. I am trying to decide what TQ/UQ combination to go with from Wilderness Logic. I have done a lot of research and am totally sold on them.

I live in the Elizabethton, TN area which is between Erwin, TN and Damascus, VA on the AT. We have a pretty average climate with winter lows being around the mid 20s and summer highs being around the 90s. These are averages so it can peek higher or lower on occasion.

I currently tent camp around here and have no problems staying comfy in a 40 degree synthetic bag with proper clothing layers and a fleece bag liner when needed.

So with all of that said, which combos of TQ/UQ should I look at? I have read where several people have said they took their WL Summer Series Quilts to around the freezing mark and were comfortable. looking at their size and weight, I am really wondering if they would work around here with a good baselayer, fleece and down jacket added. Or would I need to go with a more traditional 20 degree set up?

My biggest concern is being able to use the colder setup in the summer also. I know that the simple option is to get both but that is more than I want or have to spend. I have been saving for quite some time to get what I have and want the best bang for my buck.

So what setup would you recommend?

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    get yourself a 20 degree uq for the absolute low point, and stick with a similar temp range for your tq with what you currently have...Or get a 0* uq and tq, use the syn bag during warmer months, use the 0 tq during cold hang in the mts.

These are my thoughts. I have similar intro gear to yours, but no need to upgrade in the near future. good luck on your decision. It is a toughy...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    Unless its peak summer and extremely hot out, I use my JRB Katahdin (4" loft) year round...keep in mind I live in Canada.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lol the two people giving advice are from Canada and Guam!

Seriously though thanks for the input guys.

I just do not want to find myself wishing I had a lighter weight setup come summer time. I had thought about utilizing my synthetic bag or the fleece liner (which is what I use in the heat of the summer) but part of this switch over for me was cutting down weight. With the changes to my gear I am planning to make it should put me around 8-10 lbs base weight.

Anyways thanks for the input guys!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Fish is from Bama though and has family in knoxville. Military kinda carries you far sometimes...

As far as the uq goes, get what will keep you alive and garaunteed comfy till you can afford a down summer uq. I personally use poncho liners, but then again i am in guam as you said.

If you don't remember anything else remember this...You will want more eventually anyways....
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<><
    If you don't remember anything else remember this...You will want more eventually anyways....
    Oh trust me I know what you mean on this one. Since getting into backpacking last year after being a day hiker and car camper all my life, I have accumulated more "junk" so far than I ever thought I would. There are just so many alchy stoves out there dang it!

Oh and I hope ya didn't take offense to my comment about the two of yalls advice. It was totally as a joke and I do appreciate it. I kinda figured you were in the military being from Guam. I was in the Navy and know how it can move you around.

Thanks for your service and stay safe!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &amp;Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ &amp; 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a 20* down TQ and UQ from HG, but I live in south Louisiana so I've been doing a bit of research myself. I'm thinking hard about Tim's Prodigy quilt at Enlightened Equiptment. He's got 40 and 50* synthetic bags which are light, relatively inexpensive and can keep you warm even when wet! And believe me I know wet, we live in the sub tropics down here.
    "Life's short, if you don't stop and look around every once in a while you might miss it". FB

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So how does the 20 degree setup work for you down in LA during the summer? Obviously it must be a little warm as you are looking at going too a cooler bag. I would look at the WL Summer Series Quilts. They are very cheap and some of the lightest I have seen so far. They are what I was looking at at first.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    When it is truly "summer" time; I seldom use a top quilt. Just a small-ish fleece blanket seems to be plenty when combined with a thermal or ccf pad between hammock layers. So, only really need a Winter TQ- mostly.

I've used a Thermarest Neo-Air pad down into the 30s at night with a JRB High Sierra Snivler as a TQ - Toasty! Nevertheless; a UQ is definitely a superior way to prevent CBS.

I finally did purchase the WL "summer" underquilt and am looking forward to trying it outdoors this summer - it works GREAT for indoors - even with the window open a bit!

OK, I bought the full length WL winter UQ too...
    That JRB as a TQ and the WL full-length as an UQ are super down to mid-20s for me (haven't camped any colder yet) - and guessing I could go down to 15-20 if needbe with those two. Can't go wrong with any WL products - they're Great!
    Last edited by Loki; 01-29-2013 at 07:01.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &amp;Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ &amp; 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnvarmint View Post
    So how does the 20 degree setup work for you down in LA during the summer? Obviously it must be a little warm as you are looking at going too a cooler bag. I would look at the WL Summer Series Quilts. They are very cheap and some of the lightest I have seen so far. They are what I was looking at at first.
    Didn't see they had summer quilts, thanks,oh and I'm doing a section hike in march on the AT.
    "Life's short, if you don't stop and look around every once in a while you might miss it". FB

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast