I wasn't sure where to throw this thread, so I figured the general forum would be alright.

In any event, my question is regarding keeping my feet warmer at night.

I got a Hammock Gear Incubator underquilt a little over a week ago (20deg rating with their most overstuffing they offer). I have to say it works out GREAT as best I can tell. My top insulation is a 0deg The North Face Superlite sleeping bag. The sleeping bag has been my staple cold weather bag for a few years and has always served me well.

My hammock hanging started maybe 2 years ago, so I am still relatively new to the game.

That having been said, until last weekend I used pads as bottom insulation and knew from the get-go that I had to do something different. Last weekend and this weekend I put my new system to the test. The first night last weekend (over a 2 day backpacking trip) the temps got to the mid to low 30's at night, with a LOT of wind. Generally speaking I was quite warm at night, except for my feet. When I got up in the morning (didn't bother crawling out except when I had to go to the bathroom at around 1:00am) I inspected my set up to see if I could reason why my feet were cold. It appeared the underquilt was a bit too far towards my head end and it skipped the foot box on my Blackbird hammock. So I kept this in mind for this weekend.

Friday night I set up the hammock, camping trip so no hiking this weekend, and when I set the underquilt I paid close attention to how it fit the hammock - ensuring that the entire foot box was enclosed. I moved the underquilt so it was covering what I wanted.

That night my feet also got cold. I will throw in the fact that when its cold I wear two pairs of socks (last weekend and this weekend I doubled up on the socks). I also noted where my "heat line" was on my legs. About half way down my calves is where the heat stopped. I have no rhyme or reason as to why. I had a pair of jeans hanging from the ridge line in the hammock and I noted that when I pushed against the jeans and lost some loft in the sleeping bag that is where I had a cold spot. But I still can't reason why the bottom section of my sleeping bag was cold - other than that is the furthest extremity from my core.

So last night I grabbed some of my buddy's hand warmers and I stacked them in between my two sock layers. One on top of my toes and the other below. This seemed to help a bunch - I didn't have nearly as cold of feet.

My question for the group is that I feel confident in that my insulation is adequate for the kind of camping I have done, but what techniques or tricks are there that you have found to help with cold feet?

For as warm as my core was (even worked up a bit of a sweat) I just can't see having inadequate insulation. I am a cold sleeper so I'd much rather be too warm and have to unzip than to not be able to get warm.

Temps this weekend were in the mid teens, so about 20 degrees less than the previous weekend.