Hennessey Explorer Zip Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    T-Rest Z-Rest
    Suspension
    HH

How Many?

We (my son and me) are on our 3rd or 4th suspension set-up for our HH's. I have the Hex fly on a separate ridgeline and set up my hammock under it.

We have tried the factory knot method. This works well but is time consuming.

We then tried the SMC rings with the Garda hitch. This worked well also, but the rings began to oval and pull apart at the seams when using the factory suspension line. We then ordered in the dark red SMC rings and they tend to try and pull through one another.

We tried the Whoopie slings. These had the most promise, but we were unable to get them to release after they had a load put on them. We used 1/8" Amsteel to make them out of. Wonderful idea and can't understand why we did not have better success.

We now have the Atlas straps from ENO. Very nice product made out of Poly webbing instead of nylon. They still have some stretch and after 30 minutes I was touching the ground. ( I weigh 230 lbs).

I have also tried what I call the bailing knot which has never failed me. I use a fixed loop in the suspension line and take the remainder to my biner on the tree strap and back to the fixed loop in the line to tension. Use a quick half hitch to lock into place and done.

Another option I am thinking about is using Prussicks on the suspension line and going to the tree straps and back to the Prussick to get the right tension.

We have ordered the Warbonnet straps and buckles to see how they work out. In the meantime I am going to try using some of my motorcycle tie downs that are rated for 500 lbs each.

My goal is to find something that is a quick pitch solution. It has to go up very efficiently and come down very efficiently. I know the gram counters out there will say you are going to be carrying a bunch of unwanted weight. I understand that. I also know that I am already carrying some unwanted weight around my body too. so a few extra grams is not going to kill me if it makes me stronger.

This forum has been a great help with our foray into the Hammock world. The Shug videos put us on the floor and are very informative also. The Griz videos have also been really helpful as have been all of the knot videos from Opie and the other "knotsters". We plan on using what we learn to help the other folks in our Scout troop that like to "hang" as well.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Nice! Quite the evolution there. Great example of how many suspension options there are and how something different works for everyone.

Based on your descriptions, I might suggest Dutch buckles with straps. I find them much easier to adjust than the Waronnet ones.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Images
    WOW, another report of SMC rings ovaling, way below load rating.

I think it is important to note, there is not a "perfect" setup, suspension, hammock, or tarp. There are trade offs for everything. Find what works for you and go with it.

swank

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
    ...We tried the Whoopie slings. These had the most promise, but we were unable to get them to release after they had a load put on them. ...
    You really need to hook up with another hanger in your area for a demonstration of whoopie slings. Yours is the only report I recall of not being able to get them to release to the point of giving up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    WOW, another report of SMC rings ovaling, way below load rating...
    This is the same report posted a few days ago.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Zip Asym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    T-Rest Z-Rest
    Suspension
    HH
    gmcttr,

you have to remember I am trying to get something that can be handled easily with as little fuss as possible. The whoopies held perfectly. We just could not get them to release once the hammock had been set. We pulled on the hammock to give the sling slack and it would not let go. I found it odd as well.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
    gmcttr,

you have to remember I am trying to get something that can be handled easily with as little fuss as possible. The whoopies held perfectly. We just could not get them to release once the hammock had been set. We pulled on the hammock to give the sling slack and it would not let go. I found it odd as well.
    'As little fuss as possible' is what I love about whoopies...
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Use a Marlin Spike Hitch on the rope as The Professor shows at 7:55 in this video. . .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPpndtQKWH4

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I never had a problem releasing my whoopies (that sounded disgusting!) as long as the load was off them. I generally hold the suspension in my teeth to free up both hands for the task.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts