We (my son and me) are on our 3rd or 4th suspension set-up for our HH's. I have the Hex fly on a separate ridgeline and set up my hammock under it.

We have tried the factory knot method. This works well but is time consuming.

We then tried the SMC rings with the Garda hitch. This worked well also, but the rings began to oval and pull apart at the seams when using the factory suspension line. We then ordered in the dark red SMC rings and they tend to try and pull through one another.

We tried the Whoopie slings. These had the most promise, but we were unable to get them to release after they had a load put on them. We used 1/8" Amsteel to make them out of. Wonderful idea and can't understand why we did not have better success.

We now have the Atlas straps from ENO. Very nice product made out of Poly webbing instead of nylon. They still have some stretch and after 30 minutes I was touching the ground. ( I weigh 230 lbs).

I have also tried what I call the bailing knot which has never failed me. I use a fixed loop in the suspension line and take the remainder to my biner on the tree strap and back to the fixed loop in the line to tension. Use a quick half hitch to lock into place and done.

Another option I am thinking about is using Prussicks on the suspension line and going to the tree straps and back to the Prussick to get the right tension.

We have ordered the Warbonnet straps and buckles to see how they work out. In the meantime I am going to try using some of my motorcycle tie downs that are rated for 500 lbs each.

My goal is to find something that is a quick pitch solution. It has to go up very efficiently and come down very efficiently. I know the gram counters out there will say you are going to be carrying a bunch of unwanted weight. I understand that. I also know that I am already carrying some unwanted weight around my body too. so a few extra grams is not going to kill me if it makes me stronger.

This forum has been a great help with our foray into the Hammock world. The Shug videos put us on the floor and are very informative also. The Griz videos have also been really helpful as have been all of the knot videos from Opie and the other "knotsters". We plan on using what we learn to help the other folks in our Scout troop that like to "hang" as well.