Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    He also said that they had a strategy to bail. I think I would be tempted to exercise that strategy. If you ever got seriously cold, it would be hard to recover and get seriously warm. Been there done that, I lost my (good) judgement, (what little I have) once due to being hypothermic and it was scary stuff. Don't want to do that again.
    Yeah, it is a whole lot easier to stay warm than to get cold and try to warm back up. If you only had the capability to get marginally warm, then I am not sure if you could get (back) to that point if you got seriously cold, whereas, if you had the ability to get toasty warm you have a pretty good chance to get (back) to that point if you got seriously cold.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Shug knows enough to be smart, I'm sure. However, extreme cold like that has a way of making your mind do dumb things like canoebie said. You always hear about hypothermic victims being found naked!

At least he is out there with a hiking buddy; two heads are better than one. Should make for a good trip report!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You always hear about hypothermic victims being found naked!
    It is my understanding those who go hypothermic suffer the bursting of the blood vessels which result in a flash flood of heat to the skin.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That would make sense.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Shug knows enough to be smart, I'm sure. However, extreme cold like that has a way of making your mind do dumb things like canoebie said. You always hear about hypothermic victims being found naked!

At least he is out there with a hiking buddy; two heads are better than one. Should make for a good trip report!
    I've done the -16* camping thing cross-country skiing in the UP. It is a challenge. I know shug and kwapke know what they are doing, and are being safe. Still, it's interesting to conjecture on what is going on. Video of shug and kwpapke dancing in the snow naked with hypothermic delusions is not what I want to see in a trip video! Heck, they are probably holed up at a bar/hotel somewhere next to a hearth, occasionally venturing out to make short videos to make it look like they are actually hanging. If they are out in this extreme cold, I hope they aren't too far in that they can get out quickly if things go bad.

Images
    Global warming is a real *****, ain't it? Or, maybe thank goodness for global warming, or else winter would be really cold!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinio...konline19.html

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    When will people realize that it is called weather because it fluctuates? Back in the 70's, they said we were heading for a new ice age. Then it was global warming. Now it's global cooling again. This isn't a hermetically sealed, programmed environment that we live in. Some people just expect the world and the weather to be predictable. The world isn't like San Diego, or Merida, Venezuela. This drives me crazy!!! Nobody knows what it (the weather) is supposed to be like, so how can you compare it to anything and say that it is not doing what it is supposed to do?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Factoid:
    We are in an ice age and have been for longer than we have walked upright. By definition, if there are glaciers present on the Earth's surface, it is an ice age. Welcome to the freezer.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    When will people realize that it is called weather because it fluctuates? Back in the 70's, they said we were heading for a new ice age. Then it was global warming. Now it's global cooling again. This isn't a hermetically sealed, programmed environment that we live in. Some people just expect the world and the weather to be predictable. The world isn't like San Diego, or Merida, Venezuela. This drives me crazy!!! Nobody knows what it (the weather) is supposed to be like, so how can you compare it to anything and say that it is not doing what it is supposed to do?
    Not to get off subject FF, while I do agree with you specifically, in a more general sense there is no question in my mind about warming. The rise in the level of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere combined with clear decrease in the ice plates is pretty convincing to me. I am just glad for a real cold winter cuz now I getta do some ice fishing on my pond. Last year I went out but ended up going through. Talk about a decrease in the ice!! Whew that was cold.

The fact that Shug has two makes a big difference. It is much easier to make good decisions when not alone.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Not to get off subject FF, while I do agree with you specifically, in a more general sense there is no question in my mind about warming. The rise in the level of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere combined with clear decrease in the ice plates is pretty convincing to me. I am just glad for a real cold winter cuz now I getta do some ice fishing on my pond. Last year I went out but ended up going through. Talk about a decrease in the ice!! Whew that was cold.

The fact that Shug has two makes a big difference. It is much easier to make good decisions when not alone.
    I'll give you that the atmosphere is changing, and that the general temperature of the world is rising. Is it the harbinger of a permanent global change to a warmer climate? Nobody knows. Has the temperature of the earth changed over it's billions of years of existence? Absolutely. Will we survive a permanent global change to a warmer climate? Probably - I hope so, unless people panic and try to fix something that may or may not be broken without knowing the consequences or what the norm should be for a complex environment such as the earth and all it's micro and macro environments, from the exosphere down to the earth's core. Will shug and kwpapke be warm in a hammock at -20 with 10-15 mph winds? Probably not, but I've been surprised before.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast