Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller

First hour in the new BB

So I couldn't wait anymore, I decided that I needed to get out in my new WBBB and try it out, see how it felt and if I liked it or not. First I suppose I should say, I LOVED it. This was a bit intimidating to me because I don't have all the gear I would like to be comfortable in my hammock in Ohio in January. I'll list what I did have as far as gear and clothing and let you know how things went.

Hammock- WBBB 1.1 Double
    Sleeping bag- Koppen Viggo 20* synthetic bag
    Sleeping pad-Thermarest Basecamp

Thats all I had as far as hammock insulation, as you can imagine a 5.2 pound synthetic monster that takes up half my pack isnt ideal, but I figured it would work to at least try out the hammock.

As far as what I was wearing.

Hanes cotton boxer briefs
    Dickies long johns, tops and bottoms
    2 pairs of hanes regular size socks
    Long sleeved athletic dry fit shirt
    Columbia Porters Peak 700 fill down jacket
    Wool Beanie
    Blue jeans
    Winter gloves

So I set up the hammock, something I'm getting more used to, it took me much less time to make the adjustments and get the right height and position in between tree's. I had the thermarest basecamp semi inflated, and layed it at an angle so the bottom rested in the footbox. I then layed the koppen viggo on top of that. I layed in the hammock wearing everything I went out in except hiking shoes which I took off before I got in the hammock.

The first 30 minutes were amazing. Being surrounded by all the fluffy down in my jacket, and the sleeping bag and I was asleep in no time. I was asleep for about 20 minutes and then some young hikers were being really noisy and woke me up. After that I tried to fall asleep again but found that overall I was getting chilly. It wasn't any specific spot on me, but moreso being cold overall. My feet weren't bad in just the two pairs of socks, and I didnt notice any spot on my backside that was worse than anywhere else. So after another 10 minutes of realizing I had cooled down, I called it a succesful test run and packed up and went home.- it was 28* outside BTW

I'm just wondering what all I need to be wearing in addition to what I listed to have a comfortable hang. I understand an UQ would help out but I'm sticking to the pad for now untill I make the big move. I desperately need a new TQ or down sleeping bag because the one I have is just so big and heavy, but again in the meantime do I just need to layer more?

Sorry for being so long winded, thanks in advance for any replies!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps
    glad your enjoying your WBBB

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Maybe skip the jeans and wear a good warm pair of sweat pants. Also, try adding a light fleece blanket under you, this may provide some additional under insulation.
    The down jacket gets compressed under you, so the insulating properties are reduced. Try also adding a sweat shirt or longjohn shirt and lay the down jacket over you.
    If you have a poncho liner, try making a PLUQ. (Poncho Liner Under Quilt)
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I use CCF pads, and I often feel the chill on my shoulders and thighs if I don't have some extra pieces (wings, as it were) tucked up underneath those areas. Also, was wind a concern where you were hanging? My sense is that a tarp helps block at least some of the moving air that robs your heat.

Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    Sniveller
    It actually wasnt very windy at all, not even enough that I noticed it. It was snowing very very lightly..... or come to think of it it could have just been snow falling from the pines up above me. I didn't have a tarp up at all so its possible that some snowflakes got through the bug netting but I doubt it. But yea I didn't notice that my shoulders or any specific spot on me was cold, I just started to cool down to the point I was a little uncomfortable. Maybe this has more to do with my internal heating. Ive heard that metabolism and a lot of other factors go into internal body temp regulation and perhaps thats where I felt it the most.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Great way to spend the time with a great piece of gear!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    Did you eat a high calorie snack before taking your nap?
    Warm water bottle would definitely help.
    Some use 2 pads for winter camping a closed cell and inflating. Inflating pads with a reflective inside material work best,
    Your top socks could have been compressing your bottom socks. I find that one pair of wool sleep socks work better than 2 pairs that are the same size.
    Your down jacket would have been better served depending on your size, wrapped around your feet, or laid on top of you under the synthetic bag, or wrapped around the bottom of your hammock for some pseudo downy goodness under your feet.
    Get rid of all of your cotton clothes for winter camping. Cotton just does not hold enough warm air in and does not wick enough perspiration from your skin.
    Oh and its noisy but works you can put a space blanket under you.

Check out Shug's videos for noobs for ideas on pads in the hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the BB clan
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Safari Ta
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Carabiner / Rings
    Do you think its better to use a CCF pad in the sleeping bag or underneath?

I've stayed warm in a hammock on a thermarest and 20 synthetic bag down into the lower twenties. I have noticed if the thermarest is too deflated it doesn't insulate as well. When it's cold I use it with just a little less air than I would if I were sleeping on the ground, when it's warmer outside I like it a little more deflated.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast