Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Greyhound does accept bicycles but they have to be packed in a bike box from either a bike shop or Greyhound sells them for 10 bucks. Best I can tell you are allowed 2 pieces of checked baggage and if the bike is under 50lbs you are ok. I called Greyhound in Bham and they said it would cost extra to ship your bike so I am going to stop by one day and talk to someone in person to see exactly what the deal is. I have read mixed reviews on taking the bus with a bike,some good,some bad.

Unfortunately my schedule doesn't permit me to join in on this ride. However, I would like to be involved.

There is a chance that I could drive up to Cedar Key late Saturday March 22nd (after I do the American Lung Association Fight for Air Climb in Tampa) or early Sunday morning. I could bring my bike rack and a small trailer.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Greyhound does accept bicycles but they have to be packed in a bike box from either a bike shop or Greyhound sells them for 10 bucks. Best I can tell you are allowed 2 pieces of checked baggage and if the bike is under 50lbs you are ok. I called Greyhound in Bham and they said it would cost extra to ship your bike so I am going to stop by one day and talk to someone in person to see exactly what the deal is. I have read mixed reviews on taking the bus with a bike,some good,some bad.
    Thank you for doing the research, skippy! Please let us know how your stop in at the station goes.

Quote Originally Posted by IHover View Post
    Unfortunately my schedule doesn't permit me to join in on this ride. However, I would like to be involved.

There is a chance that I could drive up to Cedar Key late Saturday March 22nd (after I do the American Lung Association Fight for Air Climb in Tampa) or early Sunday morning. I could bring my bike rack and a small trailer.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
    I'll certainly be in the area over those days, and it'd be great to see you again, IHover. I certainly hope you can make it!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I'm seriously considering this. I'll polish up my recumbent and rig up panniers.
    Please cc my for any important off list communications.
    See you at the Sherpa too.

Is there any planning going on to shuttle back after the ride?
    grinder

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I'm seriously considering this. I'll polish up my recumbent and rig up panniers.
    Please cc my for any important off list communications.
    See you at the Sherpa too.

Is there any planning going on to shuttle back after the ride?
    Will do on the CC. Not quite into the finalization stages with this just yet; I still need to work out my logistics on both ends of the trip. May wind up staying out at Anastasia to try and save a bit of cash; may wind up staying in town if Mrs. FLRider wants to. Not sure yet.

I would love it if you could come on this one, Grinder! There're a couple of hills on the way that might be a bit of a pain on a recumbent, but none of 'em are over highway-grade (seeing as how that's what we'll be riding on a majority of the time). And, God knows I don't exactly have an hill-climbing machine!

As far as shuttling afterward, there was some discussion of it, but nothing seems to be set in stone. I'll be finalizing my Cedar Key end here in a week or so, hopefully. At which point I'll be able to make better calls on what I can do for folks.

Will contact Greyhound here in town and see what they, say, too. Above, skippy has a post where (s)he goes over the requirements, but I want to talk to a real-live person rather than relying on internet information before trusting that a bike can be loaded without issue.

Anyway, that's where I'm at currently.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I have a minivan now and a bike rack. Might could carry 4 bikes or so (two on the rack for sure and one or two inside.
    It could stay at either end for the duration.

It'll all work out.

My recumbent has triple front rings and one to one gearing. I can go up. It just goes slow, like a health club machine.
    grinder

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I have a minivan now and a bike rack. Might could carry 4 bikes or so (two on the rack for sure and one or two inside.
    It could stay at either end for the duration.

It'll all work out.

My recumbent has triple front rings and one to one gearing. I can go up. It just goes slow, like a health club machine.
    I hear you on the slow uphills. Got a 1-1 on mine, too; ya gotta love 45 lbs of steel, before adding a kit to it.

Thank you for the offer of shuttling. I'll try and work out details soonest; the primary reason I'm so late on this is lack of funds to make the reservations. That should change as of next week, at least for the Cedar Key end, given my pay schedule.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I have decided to drive rather than do Greyhound. My only reason to try Greyhound was that I didn't want to be a worry for anyone to have to shuttle me back and forth but if several people are going to do this ride I think it will work out. I can park at either end and be a shuttle back to the other end when we finish.

Skippy is a he by the way! The girl with me is my daughter

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I'd have to see if I can borrow/rig up some kind of panniers. I don't think I could stand riding my old mountain bike with a pack on. The Jacksonville section might be doable for me on a long weekend or so. Maybe I need to look into some new tires.....
    A TRAILER added to back of your mt bikes works wonders. Can be had on Ebay for less than 70.00 to your door. I have one on my Trek 3700 Mt. Bike and it does the job, single wheel and will handle 88 lbs.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    I have decided to drive rather than do Greyhound. My only reason to try Greyhound was that I didn't want to be a worry for anyone to have to shuttle me back and forth but if several people are going to do this ride I think it will work out. I can park at either end and be a shuttle back to the other end when we finish.

Skippy is a he by the way! The girl with me is my daughter
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have more definite answers as of next week. I've just about got together the cash to cover the hotel at the Cedar Key end of the trip; that's what's currently holding me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    A TRAILER added to back of your mt bikes works wonders. Can be had on Ebay for less than 70.00 to your door. I have one on my Trek 3700 Mt. Bike and it does the job, single wheel and will handle 88 lbs.
    Thanks for the advice. Currently, I'm carrying less than I'd need a trailer for, but it's good to know that they're reasonable. Unfortunately, from some things he's said, I don't think zukiguy is going to be able to make this one.
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast