The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

When it's all said an done...

I consider myself a capable DIYer, but I also understand that some things are better off purchased rather than assembled in the "lab".

If I have ~$75-$90 for gear, would you recommend I make or buy a tarp?

It rarely rains here in southern NM, but when the monsoon season decides to make itself known, we can get many inches in a short amount of time.

Currently, my plan is to backpack in 3 seasons rather than 4, so there's no need to prep for the onslot of a winter blizzard.

I just want a decent sized and weighted tarp. My hammock is a tablecloth jobber.

So what do you think? Make it or Buy it?

Thanks,
    c0wb0y_hubs
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I would look through the sales sub forums and pick up a great deal for the budget you have set aside. You can get a more expensive tarp for less and save the DIY for other parts (silnylon is a real pain to work with for many people!).
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Hey Cowboy, wanted to throw you some Las Cruces love!

I can only suggest what I have experience with....See if you can find a Chinook 12x9 tarp. It's what I use all year round....

It's a great tarp, decently lightweight and packable. Best part it is, you may be able to pick one up for less than $40.

Then when you have the tarp, you can DIY a bit by adding webbing pullouts and other nice things to have in a tarp.

OTOH, $90 could get you a lot of nice material to work with!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I would save a little more and get a better tarp... The thing about good quality gear is it holds its resale, you can sell it for 90% of what you paid...

I would go with a superfly, plenty of shade, protection from side ways rain fairly light weight...

But within your price range pick up a wilderness logics tadpole... Great tarps for the weight...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    I used a £5 utility tarp for a couple of years without problem. Good coverage, surprisingly light at about 550g and it had a nice camo pattern. Then when I knew that hanging was going to feature in my future and I knew exactly what I wanted, only then did I splashed the cash.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I would save a little more and get a better tarp... The thing about good quality gear is it holds its resale, you can sell it for 90% of what you paid...

I would go with a superfly, plenty of shade, protection from side ways rain fairly light weight...

But within your price range pick up a wilderness logics tadpole... Great tarps for the weight...
    +1 on save up and buy a good tarp
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post

I was debating over the Edge and the Tadpole, and since I started this thread, I've been trying to find a site that has the Chinook 12x9 instock (with no success yet).

If I only get one tarp for many years, I might as well make it a better quality and lighter one.

So now what.....

EDGE or TADPOLE?

Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y_hubs View Post
    If I have ~$75-$90 for gear, would you recommend I make or buy a tarp?
    DIY is going to be slightly cheaper if you already have the sewing machine and are comfortable on it:

a 12' x 10' tarp is 8 yards of fabric...from DIY Gear Supply that would be roughly $50 (silnylon 2nds) or $25 (70D PU, camo, 2nds) on a budget.

If you want to have catenary cuts it's free but more time consuming. If I were to make a square tarp like this it wouldn't take more than an hour. A hex tarp with cat cuts would probably be around 3 hours.

Buying either of these used should be right around your budget.

I think you just need to weigh the options of how much you feel your time is worth and if you enjoy this sort of thing. For me, I just love making gear so I would go DIY but I was also very close to buying a few tarps for $50-75 due to the extra time I can spend making other stuff and playing video games.

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I think I can get more tarp for my money if I suck it up and make one myself, so now I just need to do a little fabric learnin'. I really like the price of the 70D, but it's that very same thing that makes me cautious of it.

After a brief search, I'm not able to find that crucial difference between silnylon and 70D.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y_hubs View Post
    I think I can get more tarp for my money if I suck it up and make one myself, so now I just need to do a little fabric learnin'. I really like the price of the 70D, but it's that very same thing that makes me cautious of it.

After a brief search, I'm not able to find that crucial difference between silnylon and 70D.
    Weight, its all about the weight...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast