DIY 11'er
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ all around!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH

Vertex Clone?

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a DIY version of the Clark Vertex or even the Flex180?

I have thought about trying it and was wondering if there have been previous attempts at it.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB, DIY Flex 180
    Tarp
    MEC Guides Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 down UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and binas
    hey hambone, I made a kind of mix of the flex 180 and vertex it has two full sized beds and a much smaller central shelf than the vertex. I can dig out some pictures if your interested?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge - Pirogue
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat
    Images
    I'd be interested to see what you've done as well, if you have time to dig up the pictures. I made a try at a double bridge hammock that sort of worked (until the fabric gave out); the Vertex always looked interesting, and might be a better option.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB, DIY Flex 180
    Tarp
    MEC Guides Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 down UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and binas
    Heres some shots of "The Beast" the second bed is taken up by my pack but its the same size as the other and you dont bump shoulders with it at all unless your wriggling around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge - Pirogue
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pommychris View Post
    Heres some shots of "The Beast" the second bed is taken up by my pack but its the same size as the other and you dont bump shoulders with it at all unless your wriggling around.
    Looks pretty good! I've never seen a Clark in person -- it looks like they have you laying pretty much straight along the line of the hammock (as opposed to on the diagonal like many gathered end hammocks) - is that the case? How comfortable is it?

If I may ask -- how'd you make it? My best guess for how to proceed would be to start with two gathered end hammocks (maybe a little bit narrower). Then, cut a triangle whose long ends are the lengths of the sides of the hammocks, and whose narrow side is how far apart you want them to be at the head end -- this will be the shelf part.

Is that anywhere close to what you did? Any details you could toss out would be appreciated

Looks like a pretty solid hammock

Hammock
    DIY WBBB, DIY Flex 180
    Tarp
    MEC Guides Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 down UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and binas
    yeah thats more or less whats going on here.
    I started with two aproximatly 48inch wide dbl layer hammock beds and ran channeling at the head and foot end like a claytor hammock as opposed to whipping the end using knottys method for example. Then the "triangle" which is not actually a triangle but more of a funny hourglass shape starts at the head end about 24 inces wide and tapers in to about 14 inches wide where i guess-ta-mated my head and shoulders would be then the taper continues gradually to the foot end of the hammock where it is 3 inches wide and then flares back out to 7 inches and gets sewn in to the channeling. Ill try and draw some rough plans to help you get you get you head around it. The inside edge of the hammock beds is attached to the "triangle" by using a flat felled seam for strength.
    As far as laying in the hammock is concerned the narrow beds do mean less of a diaganal lay than in my WBBB but it suprisingly just as flat. I was certainly not bannana'd at any point. yet to tackle an UQ but sleeping with a pad between the layers was fine once i got the lay figured out.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB, DIY Flex 180
    Tarp
    MEC Guides Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 down UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and binas
    heres the "triangle" section the flare at the end was somthing i picked up on a thread about the flex but to be honest im not too sure or its purpose possibly to reduce the stress on the seams ath the narrow end or to increase suface area on the channaling either way it doesnt really hinder my design so i ran with it. the length or the triangle would depend on how long you wanted your hammock beds to be i think mine was round about 10 feet. I hope this help if you need any more help or this made no sence let me know and ill try to give you a hand!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge - Pirogue
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat
    Images
    Cool, thanks for taking the time to explain it I think the body pretty much makes sense.. I'm probably going to get started on a "tribute" version fairly soon. The top cover, on the other hand..... Well, I'll start worrying about that once I have the body done. I need to spend some more time thinking about it/looking at how it's put together.

What kind of material did you use? I was thinking of taking one of those Tableclothfactory 90x130 crinkle poly taffeta ones and trimming the length down / cutting them in half for the double layer. That would put the width at 45 inches, though.. any thoughts on whether that would work? or would it be too narrow?

Hammock
    DIY WBBB, DIY Flex 180
    Tarp
    MEC Guides Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 down UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and binas
    I used rip stop, not sure of the weight as it was given to me but i was told that it was pertex. its tough as nails though a single layer hammock i made has held three people in it no worries.

I think you can get away with losing a couple of inches in width but another inch and a half is going to go in to the seams aswell, just something to keep track of.

as for the top cover that is very much a different anilmal. a lot of trial and error went in to it so let me know when you set about tackling it and ill do my best to help you avoid my mistakes.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge - Pirogue
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped Downmat
    Images

Tentative plans - first pass

Quote Originally Posted by pommychris View Post
    I think you can get away with losing a couple of inches in width but another inch and a half is going to go in to the seams aswell, just something to keep track of.
    So I thought about it, and here's what I've come up with. I scaled the middle piece so that it should fit the entire way along the side and leave a quarter inch at top and bottom for the cord through the channel to come out.

What do you think? Any changes you think I should make?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast