Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member Gresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JBD Down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Posts
    2,449
    Images
    3

    HOT weather top quilts

    Here in South Carolina, now that we're staring down the loaded barrel of February we're getting geared up for summer...which starts in March.

    Summers here get up into the hundreds, which I'm sure is par for the course for lots of different parts of the world. That said, most of my hangs have taken place in late fall and winter and thus, I'm ill prepared for what awaits me in the hot, steamy months ahead.

    What do you use (if anything) as a cover in the summertime? I'm one of those people that can't just sleep under NOTHING...I have to have some kind of sheet, at least.

    Guide me, learned ones.

  2. #2
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    For the true summer temps - a simple sleeping bag liner. They're relatively inexpensive, pack small and light, and have just about the right amount of material to have ~something~ on you.

    They're often available in both silk or fleece. And you can find them on sale if you follow the gear prices from the larger distributors.
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

  3. #3
    Senior Member Gresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JBD Down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Posts
    2,449
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    For the true summer temps - a simple sleeping bag liner. They're relatively inexpensive, pack small and light, and have just about the right amount of material to have ~something~ on you.

    They're often available in both silk or fleece. And you can find them on sale if you follow the gear prices from the larger distributors.
    I've got a silk mummy bag liner that I was intending to use just as you've described, but not having done so yet I wasn't sure if just that alone would be sufficient, overkill, or otherwise...not to mention other possibilities.

  4. #4
    sargevining's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Posts
    4,324
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    I've got a silk mummy bag liner that I was intending to use just as you've described, but not having done so yet I wasn't sure if just that alone would be sufficient, overkill, or otherwise...not to mention other possibilities.
    I use a silk bag liner. The theory is that silk wicks perspiration and spreads it over a bigger surface where it evaporates faster and thus cooler than perspiration evaporating off your body.

    I'm not sure it makes any difference when the temp is 105*, though, but I;ve had good expereinces in the 80* range.

  5. #5
    New Member Dustb2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Hammock
    DIY WBBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Posts
    44
    Images
    13
    Another low priced option is to modify a poncho liner into a top quilt like the one I made here:



    You can pick one cheap at your local army surplus story or on eBay like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-USMC...item3f20f54f72

    The weather in Mississippi is similar to South Carolina's and this top quilt served me well last summer. With proper venting its not too hot on those really warm nights and its heavy enough for those nights where there is a moderate temp drop 15-20 degrees. I've taken it down into the 50s and was still fairly comfortable. The only downside is its not quite as light and packable as some of the other options such as a silk/fleece liner or lightweight summer down TQ. The upside being its wide temperature range and low price. I also like TQs with built in foot boxes so after I modified mine I was really happy with how it came out.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mbcruzin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Murrells Inlet SC
    Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    10x10 BCUSA
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Posts
    964
    Images
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustb2000 View Post
    Another low priced option is to modify a poncho liner into a top quilt like the one I made here:



    You can pick one cheap at your local army surplus story or on eBay like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-USMC...item3f20f54f72

    The weather in Mississippi is similar to South Carolina's and this top quilt served me well last summer. With proper venting its not too hot on those really warm nights and its heavy enough for those nights where there is a moderate temp drop 15-20 degrees. I've taken it down into the 50s and was still fairly comfortable. The only downside is its not quite as light and packable as some of the other options such as a silk/fleece liner or lightweight summer down TQ. The upside being its wide temperature range and low price. I also like TQs with built in foot boxes so after I modified mine I was really happy with how it came out.
    +1 on the poncho liner as a top quilt. I bought two one for a top quilt an the other was made into a PULQ ( poncho liner under quilt ). I'll use these for spring, summer and fall or till the temps drop below 45*. Carrying both is like two pounds in the back pack. Also on a side note you can use the poncho liner as an over cover in the winter to help keep heat in.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.
    Google+
    Spring Swing Sign up Sheet

  7. #7
    tncamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Covington, TN
    Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    749
    If you have to have something, I'd go with the liner like Mr. Sparrow suggested. I myself camped last year in Sept. in the 90's and the only thing between me and my buginator was a t-shirt and boxers. I hate to be covered if I don't need it.
    It'll be alright Friday!


    Check us out at www.buttinasling.com
    HF members get a discount on most items. Use discount code "hfmember".



    shane@buttinasling.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mr.Tattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sanford Florida
    Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Posts
    798
    I use this Diy TQ I made I wanted something light weight because I rarely need it. I carry it as one of those just in case things..lol Sometimes mother nature throws you a curve ball
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Senior Member Gresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Irmo, South Carolina
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JBD Down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Posts
    2,449
    Images
    3
    What'd you make it out of?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mr.Tattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sanford Florida
    Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Posts
    798
    1.1 ripstop stuffed it with 3oz 800fp down I had leftover from another project Down was harvested from a jacket I found in goodwill think I have like $25 bucks in the TQ

Similar Threads

  1. HOT weather under quilts
    By Gresh in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-15-2015, 12:08
  2. Taper on Underground Quilts Top Quilts
    By litetrek in forum UGQ Outdoor Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2013, 06:29
  3. SOLD: Quilts Quilts Quilts
    By sr1355 in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-31-2013, 19:25
  4. Why not double up your under quilts in colder weather?
    By bobwhite in forum Under Quilts
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 23:15
  5. new quilts
    By Big Papi in forum Arrowhead Equipment (Home of Kick Ass Quilts)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 15:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •