Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

New guy from NH with questions

Hi all,

First let me say I am amazed on the amount of information on the site and after lurking for a week I think I'm ready to take the plunge! I have had items in my Warbonnet cart for a week now but haven't pushed the "Buy" button……..just yet.

I am a long term backpacker in the Northeast mostly in New Hampshire where we live. During my treks and whacks through the wilderness I have encountered a number of hangers and thought, gee that looks interesting but never ventured beyond. My trial so far has been a 5 minute test from a fellow backpacker I met on the trail this spring. I am an experienced 3 1/2 season backpacker and anticipate not using a hammock during winter.

So I have decided on a hammock, BlackBird XLC 1.1 double layer but still have questions on tarp and insulation. I don't consider myself an ultralight hiker or gram weenie but try to manage weight by questioning what is necessary vs what is a nicety.

To my questions:
    Will the Mamajamba provide sufficient rain/storm protection for the XLC or is the Superfly with the storm doors needed to ensure I stay dry?

Being a ground sleeper I will be using pads for now of which I have a NeoAir and CCF both are 25". Will they be useable in the BlackBird or will I need to use something else? Will the air pad survive the bending in a hammock?

Thanks,
    Woody

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    No experience with the Mamajamba or the NeoAir but I do have experience with the XLC DL (just sold recently), the Superfly & using a CCF pad. The Superfly is a great tarp and works very well with the XLC. I think it's worth the extra $20 to get the tarp with integrated doors. And your CCF pad will work fine between the layers of the XLC DL. I've had no issues with the pad moving around during my nights in the XLC like I had in the single layer ENO I used previously.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome Woody! First of all let me at that you are in a wonderful state for hiking.

Like you, I'm a long time hiker that finally wised up and switched to hammocks. I have a standard size Blackbird double layer and it will hold a CCF pad just fine. (that was my 1st hammock, too). I have heard several reports that an air pad works fine also. The thing about pads and hammocks is that you will benefit from a wider pad. I got a 30" wide one from Gossamer Gear. I've moved on to under quilts, but pads are a great place to start and a few folks ultimately prefer them.

I started with a hex tarp that served me well for a while, but then got one with doors. You can stay dry with a hex, but those doors sure are nice when the wind is blowing. I much prefer the doors now, and they don't add much weight or bulk to your pack.

Now you can go ahead and click the "buy" button and I'll see you on the trail.
    Last edited by MAD777; 07-11-2014 at 17:56.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

The Lowcountry - SC (previously Boston, MA)
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Slings, Dutchware
    Welcome from Boston. The Whites are my favorite place to hike. I can't speak to your specific questions, but on tarps, I would avoid a medium sized tarp such as the mambajamba. A lot of folks may disagree, but I think it's best to have a small one like my Wilderness Logics tadpole for better/warmer weather and a larger one like the Superfly for winter/more inclement weather. Of course, if you can spend the money you can go the cuben fiber route and get a light tarp with plenty of coverage, like the Hammock Gear tarp with doors or Winter palace. If you like to hike a lot rather then simply camp, I would go a light as you can, even if you think you don't care about the weight, you eventually will.
    fishwater youtube channel: Check out my channel to see backpacking in New England

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks Trailer Runner and MAD777, so I'll stay with the pads I have a now, learn more as I go and research quilts for a possible upgrade in the future.

Fishwater, yeah I put on miles rather than camp and as you know elevation is easy to find in the Whites so I am always conscious of weight but I understand cuben is an option but probably out of my budget for now.

Still no decision on the tarp yet, more reading and hopefully push the BUY button soon!

Hammock
    WBRR, XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Lynx, Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hello Woody, welcome to the forums from a fellow NH'er, and new hanger. I have the WBSF for my WBRR and love it. My SF is multi cam which is a bit heavier than the plain shades WB offers but the few times I have been in the rain and wind I enjoyed the doors. Go for the SF and you will be happy even if you only use them for a bit of privacy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    In the summer months I don't use a tarp with doors but when it gets colder and windier, doors are worth their weight IMO. The mambajama is more than enough to keep you dry.

With pad use, a common issue is cold shoulders. They work fine but eventually an UQ would be warmer and more comfortable.

Some people get used to hammocking very quickly whereas others neeeded more time and tinkering. Keep at it, have fun with your new purchases and welcome to the Elevated perspective.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Welcome from Manchester, NH!!! Im new here too and am awaiting my regular BB, with super fly.

There seem to be a few of us New Hampshirites on here. perhaps we should do a group hang sometime.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks all for the feedback!

Finally pressed the "BUY" button after an overload of reading the forum threads, and changing my mind a few times.

I ordered the BlackBird XLC 1.1 double w/ straps/buckles and the SuperFly. Now the wait begins!

I'll start out with pads for insulation and see where I progress. Now I have to tell the wife to expect another delivery package of essential backpack gear!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopies

New guy from NH with questions

Welcome from fellow NH citizen - new-ish member here, hanging a WBBB DL. Keep your eye out to see if there is another Great Pumpkin Hang at Cardigan Mt. This fall. I missed it last year but hope to make it there this year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast