Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB
    Suspension
    WB straps

Cloudburst or Superfly?

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster (never felt the need to post cause you guys are always answering my questions before I ask). So I thank you.

Anyways, I know this has been covered, I have a RR and I'm deciding between the SF and CB

I love the doors on the sf and it would be preferred, but I'm not interested in doing a pole mod. That being said, will the RR actually fit under the sf without the mod? Or should I just sacrifice the doors to get a cloudburst with the properly fitted pullouts?

I love the versatility of the SF but I don't want to get it and then be annoyed with the spreader bars rubbing, and the suspension Rubbing against the doors when they are closed.

I've bven debating this for over a month, and read all the threads but still can't decide.

If anyone has any pics or insight that could convince me one way or another it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Another option you didn't mention would be to just add some clip-on pullouts over where the spreader bars are, and use those instead.

For example: http://dutchwaregear.com/clip-on-tarp-pull-outs.html

Not as much bother as the pole mod, while solving the problem (if it is a problem) of using the SF with RR, and you can remove them if they aren't needed.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Yeah I suppose I could use those as well. I'm just curious how well the tarp actually fits with the RR and the normal SF pullouts

How does yours work with the SF?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have the Superfly. I just did a pole mod but it will work without. It's a little close but if you can hang the RR low and the SP high it will work fine. You are right about the doors - they do contact the suspension 'V'.
    If you were to use the tie outs your clearance should be pretty good. I don't have my tarp out to measure but the pullouts on the SF are not really that much out of line with the RR spreader bars.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    The Superfly is actually a bit larger than the Cloudburst if you pitch the Superfly with the door tieouts used as the corner tieouts. You will in essence replicate the shape of the Cloudburst but have a bit longer coverage along the bottom edge (Cloudburst is a rectangle 132 inches at the ridgeline and 132 inches at the bottom, the Superfly is 132 inches at the ridgeline and 166 inches at the bottom).

The other difference is the side pullout locations to get the tarp off you.

If you add aftermarket pullouts like mentioned above or Grip Clips closer to the ends of the Superfly to match up with the hammock spreader bar locations, you'd actually end up with a similar tarp to the Cloudburst but with another 17 inches of coverage on both sides.

With that said, I'd go with the Superfly and 4 aftermarket side pullouts as you can attach them to sync up with the hammock spreader bars and try the tarp with the doors closed and see how you like it. If you don't, you can simply stretch the doors out and use the door tieouts as the corner tieouts and you have the same configuration as the Cloudburst tarp with more coverage.

It's like getting 2 tarps for the price of one.

At the 6:50 mark of the video below you can see where the stock Superfly side pullouts don't quite match up with the location of the RR hammock spreader bars. If you go the route of the aftermarket tarp side pullouts, you would just add them where the pole mod is in the video.

Some additional info in this thread as well.
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 07-21-2014 at 06:52.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB with door kit
    I debated the same thing; however, not for a month. I decided to go with the Cloudburst and bite the bullet and pay extra for the door kit. I like the bottom cut (straight) of the Cloudburst better than the SF, and the position of the tie outs matches the RR. I did ask Brandon his thoughts, and he said many use the SF with the RR, but it's just not as tailored. It's hard to go wrong with either.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB
    Suspension
    WB straps
    How are you liking the door kit. Does it close well?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    The Superfly is actually a bit larger than the Cloudburst if you pitch the Superfly with the door tieouts used as the corner tieouts. You will in essence replicate the shape of the Cloudburst but have a bit longer coverage along the bottom edge (Cloudburst is a rectangle 132 inches at the ridgeline and 132 inches at the bottom, the Superfly is 132 inches at the ridgeline and 166 inches at the bottom).

The other difference is the side pullout locations to get the tarp off you.

If you add aftermarket pullouts like mentioned above or Grip Clips closer to the ends of the Superfly to match up with the hammock spreader bar locations, you'd actually end up with a similar tarp to the Cloudburst but with another 17 inches of coverage on both sides.

With that said, I'd go with the Superfly and 4 aftermarket side pullouts as you can attach them to sync up with the hammock spreader bars and try the tarp with the doors closed and see how you like it. If you don't, you can simply stretch the doors out and use the door tieouts as the corner tieouts and you have the same configuration as the Cloudburst tarp with more coverage.

It's like getting 2 tarps for the price of one.

At the 6:50 mark of the video below you can see where the stock Superfly side pullouts don't quite match up with the location of the RR hammock spreader bars. If you go the route of the aftermarket tarp side pullouts, you would just add them where the pole mod is in the video.

Some additional info in this thread as well.
    That was helpful. Thanks a lot for the info. That's kinda how I look at it, 2 for the price of 1.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxTiger View Post
    I debated the same thing; however, not for a month. I decided to go with the Cloudburst and bite the bullet and pay extra for the door kit. I like the bottom cut (straight) of the Cloudburst better than the SF, and the position of the tie outs matches the RR. I did ask Brandon his thoughts, and he said many use the SF with the RR, but it's just not as tailored. It's hard to go wrong with either.
    +1...Thought about the SF but ended up with the CB with doors too, the fit to the RR is perfect, I have not looked back. I have another, smaller tarp for when I'm in my Blackbird, and the Warbonnet doors fit on it like a glove too. I can't believe how easy it is to attach the WB doors...or if the weather is nice, not attach.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB with door kit
    I haven't used mine yet, but will when the weather gets colder. They look like they close well on the video.

• + New Posts