Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

seeking ridgeline time & temp

I don't wear a watch. It's not a problem until I wake up in the night and wonder if it's too early to get up. When I do get up, I always want to know how cold it got during the night.

I've been trying to find a little device to hang on the ridgeline that gives me the time and the temperature, small enough to stay in the snakeskins.

Anybody know where I can get such an instrument?
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I don't wear a watch. It's not a problem until I wake up in the night and wonder if it's too early to get up. When I do get up, I always want to know how cold it got during the night.

I've been trying to find a little device to hang on the ridgeline that gives me the time and the temperature, small enough to stay in the snakeskins.

I have one of these, that I like. May be more than what you need as it has pressure trends). When I was in the market for this I found that the tricky bit is finding a device that has temperature memory. I got mine for about $40, which is a bit pricey for clock and temperature only (but I don't recall seeing anything much less that included temperature max/min).

Grizz

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Images
    I've got one of the These. There cheap, they give you the current time/temp, and while they don't have a temperature log they do give you the low and the high for the past 24 hours. For 9.99 this does me well. It also has a built in alarm.
    Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
    The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
    I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I have one of these, that I like. May be more than what you need as it has pressure trends). When I was in the market for this I found that the tricky bit is finding a device that has temperature memory. I got mine for about $40, which is a bit pricey for clock and temperature only (but I don't recall seeing anything much less that included temperature max/min).

Grizz
    Grizz - do you have any notion of the battery life??

Quote Originally Posted by rock_rat View Post
    I've got one of the These. There cheap, they give you the current time/temp, and while they don't have a temperature log they do give you the low and the high for the past 24 hours. For 9.99 this does me well. It also has a built in alarm.
    rock_rat - do you have any notion of the battery life??

Electronic sensors are useless for me in the field unless the device has a minimum 6 month battery life, constant on. I would like a min/max memory reading, but haven't found anything with the battery life yet.

Until then, I rely on the tried and true mechanical bi-metal instrument available in any store that sells cooking supplies. I know the current temperature, but not the history. I'll probably stick with the bi-metal even f I find an electronic sensor with adequate battery life - I need to know the water temperature sometimes when boiling the water.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Grizz - do you have any notion of the battery life??
    I've had this for maybe 3-4 months. 2 watch batteries drive it. Always on. Still running. I'll keep an eye on it and if I'm sure I've exceeded 6 months I'll let you know.

Grizz

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Std HH
    Insulation
    RR
    First time poster.

I also use http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82086 same as Rock_Rat. I can't comment on the battery life because I always take the battery out when not in use. But I have had it over a year on and off. It uses a cr2032 battery w/ and O-ring seal.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grounded View Post
    First time poster.

I also use http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82086 same as Rock_Rat. I can't comment on the battery life because I always take the battery out when not in use. But I have had it over a year on and off. It uses a cr2032 battery w/ and O-ring seal.
    i've got one of those, been on constantly. pretty sure it's been on for about a year. it doesn't have a light which i don't like, and it seems the temp sensor is deep inside, so it takes a while to adjust to changeing temps.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I use the same as rock_rat and some of the others. Battery lasts over a year, may be two. No light is a little bit of a PITA but doable. I've tracked the low against wunderground and it appears to be fairly accurate as far as I can tell. It only has two buttons so I'm constantly doing something I didn't intend to do. Guess I should dig out the instructions again.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

I use something like this. http://www.wasserstrom.com/restauran...Product_113225 It's NSF (National Sterilization Foundation) approved, so it must meet some accuracy standard.

There are several other models with different temperature ranges http://www.millerthermometer.com/Pockets.htm

For time, I wear a wrist watch (and GPS). For getting up, I use the sun. But if you want a clock, something like this might work http://shop-express.amazonwebstore.c...source=froogle

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    rock_rat - do you have any notion of the battery life??
    I've had mine for a little over 10 months now and it's still going. Most of that was summer use with only two trips dipping into the mid thirties so I can't comment on how winter camping would affect it but I have to believe that it would last well past six months. It really shouldn't be using much more power than a digital watch so battery times should be equivalent.
    Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
    The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
    I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole