Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Creepy??

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1oz Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    To each their own I suppose. I must say 2 things - 1. I would never buy it, 2. It is cool.

My tent set up is just a bit over that weight, and it is a VERY durable 3 season tent (more like a 4 season as it has full panels that zip in for full double wall protection). Given the protection, I'd rather have my tent - and I've used it in some pretty extreme conditions, none I would be willing to subject my hammock to. I would also not trust this hanging tent in like conditions.

I think it has its place. It is a unique idea. I can't see this thing's intended purpose as being a backpacking shelter. It is entirely too heavy for packing miles. I have packed some miles with my tent, mostly because that is what I started with when I first got in to backpacking. I bought my current tent before my second trip because my first trip was in late fall and we experienced more winter weather than fall weather - and I didn't have adequate gear. Then after a few years of ground dwelling I graduated to hanging. I have yet to sleep in a tent since. My blackbird is a fantastic shelter and offers a ton more advantages over a tent, but it also isn't without it's drawbacks too.

Advantages and drawbacks to a regular hammock vs. this hanging tent - two trees are all you need. I couldn't imagine trying to rig that thing up at some camps. That is where the weight is - the ropes and rigging to set it up like that. A conventional hammock and tarp is more simple.

If you are "camping" and not "backpacking" then this might be a nifty option. It is pretty slick, but you have to have the means to get it where you are going and also the luxury of time to set it up right. My blackbird and big mamajamba tarp/door kit takes enough time to set up for me. I could simplify things with the tarp by itself (and I have done that on numerous trips) but I really like the added protection (especially in the winter and a rain storm) that the doors offer. They just take a few more minutes to complete the set up.

So yea, cool concept for sure. It just doesn't fit well for a backpacking type shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Well, that's true, it doesn't take much time to realize that no matter how much real ingenuity was put into it, its done at a ridiculous pricepoint.
    I would have to agree on the price. Even though I did not price out everything used or the amount of time and work put into making one. Which I am sure takes more time than a tarp, quilt, and simple gathered end hammock put together.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    ... Which is what he did when he implied that two point hammocks are 'saggy and sacklike.' The whole website is just ridiculous and misleading. He basically refuses to acknowledge the existence of true ultralight hammocking. If he pitched the idea based on its true strengths, which have been mentioned in this thread, then I'd be on-board... But he doesn't, he plays to ignorance. Sorry I don't appreciate that tactic.
    I love light weight gear but, I am not going to jump on the band wagon and bash his product just because I do not like his selling points. If we are going to nit pick here, I would definitely not describe the hammock you have in your avatar as "rigid". Either way, I was just hinting at the idea that everyone has differing opinions. It does not mean we can not have constructive criticism though.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I love light weight gear but, I am not going to jump on the band wagon and bash his product just because I do not like his selling points. If we are going to nit pick here, I would definitely not describe the hammock you have in your avatar as "rigid". Either way, I was just hinting at the idea that everyone has differing opinions. It does not mean we can not have constructive criticism though.
    I'm not bashing because I don't like his selling points, I'm pointing out that his selling points are misleading at best and down-right deceptive at worst. We can agree to disagree.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Hard for me to understand that anyone would buy this. I mean there must be a market somewhere if they are being produced so wtf?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

selling points?

I'm not bashing because I don't like his selling points, I'm pointing out that his selling points are misleading at best and down-right deceptive at worst. We can agree to disagree.
    Agreed here, though I suppose I cut a little slack for normal advertising hyperbole, which is fairly typically misleading anyway - not limited to just this guy. But, I do think what's worth "bashing" him on - excuse me, "pointing out" - is that his setup seems so rigid that it seems likely to have some of the same negative issues as with camping on the ground. Perhaps slightly less, don't know for sure, but I know I experience some of the same pressure-point issues when I hang my hammock too tight. Hey, perhaps if we tried it there would be some sort of epiphany from how well it slept. Not going to know unless he gets it out there, and at that cost, its not getting out there.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Agreed here, though I suppose I cut a little slack for normal advertising hyperbole, which is fairly typically misleading anyway - not limited to just this guy.
    The whole site just seems to assume that I know nothing about what ultra-light shelter solutions are out there. I don't appreciate that. If they want to limit their customer base to the ignorant then that's their choice, but I certainly don't have to respect it.

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY "Ahote"
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    I believe every good idea blossoms into a great idea. Maybe this type of system will eventually spawn into something lighter, more reasonably priced, and more beneficial to the hanging community. Gotta love the ingenuity people have when properly motivated. After all, my current set up is a prime example of what motivated, brilliant people ( the HF forum) have come up with.
    Enjoy life's journey, but leave no tracks...

Mahna Mahna...

"The more we hang, the more we have to leave in the end" -Gresh

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Wanna see a truly innovative hammock/tent hybrid:

I can't find the site for this but I saw them a while back. Each of the 'arms' is a sleeping quarters and the inner section is a 'common area.' No mention of lightweight on the site, but instead they focus on the environmental impact benefits... From what I remember anyway. Again I can't find the manufacturer now, this is just a picture linked elsewhere I found.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Insulation
    Self-inflating pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Wanna see a truly innovative hammock/tent hybrid:

I can't find the site for this but I saw them a while back. Each of the 'arms' is a sleeping quarters and the inner section is a 'common area.' No mention of lightweight on the site, but instead they focus on the environmental impact benefits... From what I remember anyway. Again I can't find the manufacturer now, this is just a picture linked elsewhere I found.
    OMG. Here's a foreign language article about them with more pictures.

http://gadzetomania.pl/2012/03/09/po...oko-i-wygodnie

Edit: apparently this is a tentsile from above:
    http://solent.photoshelter.com/image/I0000Mp3t7C_84ZM

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234