WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

learn more, not sure you need to buy more

Your gear, which is very good, is not yet fitted for optimal warmth. That will improve as you learn more. More gadgets will help you rig faster, but may or may not, help you rig better.

Images
    I think this is a first: not warm in an MW4.

However, it is a fair bit past the quilts temp rating. What was that, about minus 16 or 17F? So a good 15-17F beyond ratings, really pushing it.

If your bag is a thick synthetic model, you will get a good warmth boost on your back, but probably not enough to make up for that. If it is 800FP down, you won't even get that much boost.

OTOH, all was toasty but your butt. So it is a very specific problem no doubt related to adjustment. Like Pan said, it was probably cold enough to effect suspension elastics. Still, I have not heard of anyone reporting those problems with a JRB with the old style suspension. And the DIY suspension is probably the issue, along with an overall not optimum suspension adjustment.

I'm sure you had a Parka, though you were not wearing it for sleep. If you find yourself with this problem again, consider stuffing any unworn insulation into the gap area, might get you through in an emergency. And of course the old faithful standby, a small CCF sit pad under your butt.

Good home/safe area test, though!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The suspension showed up today in the mail. I am soooooo excited to test this sucker out next week. Tuesday's forecasting highs of +3 c. and lows of -5 c. Should be perfect hanging weather, as long as I can keep dry.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. And Shug, I will keep at it. Thanks for the motivation.

Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Out to the test area again tmrw night. With overnight lows of minus 9 - 12 0c I should be nice and toasty. I hope to make it till morning for some breakfast in the hammock. Report on Thursday when I am done and video to follow that.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up New Test Report!!!

Mount Washington 4 Test Night Two!!!!

Last night I decided to test out my MW4 UQ in milder temperatures, it only got down to -9 oC, which is about -15 oF. I setup camp the usual way, and noticed that my ridge line was sagging way too much. I tightened up the whoopies, and it was still sagging. It was a problem that I could not figure out how to fix. Its weird because I have hung my hammock between these two trees many times before, and I have never had a problem like this. I decided just to leave it (wrong decision).
    I got out my new JRB suspension and attached it per the instructions on the website, turns out my way was completely wrong. With the UQ tightly suspended beneath the hammock I crawled in, and instantly my back, lower back, buttocks, and legs started to warm up. "Eureka, it is working" I said to myself, although there was a bit of a draft getting in and settling at the bottom. I tightened up the drawstrings a little on both ends and it closed up perfectly, no more draft.
    The night went on, I had a cup of hot chocolate and Baileys and filmed a little for my You Tube Channel. Around one o'clock I was growing sleepy, I crawled into my 0 oC sleeping bag from MEC and settled into the hammy. Right away I noticed more of a curved lay than I was used to. My ridge line was hanging way down and the organizer was touching my body. I tried my best to position the UQ underneath, keeping the sides pulled up around me. Drifting off I remember thinking how warm it was but I wished that I wasn't laying so curved.
    Deer passed by, coyotes howled, and trains blew their horns. I awoke at around six thirty. My whole body was warm, except for my feet which were like ice. My neck was also sore from sleeping at such an angle. I got up, went inside the house and passed out in my bed for a few more hours.
    I think that I am getting closer to figuring this UQ out. Like I said, my body was warm, just my feet were freezing. This could have been because my sleeping bag was not warm enough, in the next test I will use my military bag. I have included a few pics of the old camp setup. I have completely overhauled the site, hammock is hanging from wider trees, fire pit is turned and an addition to the firewall has been built. I hope that with these changes my time spent out here will be more enjoyable. Thanks for all your positive feedback and please check out the video on my Channel.

The following pictures were taken this morning before I changed around my site. Enjoy.

You can see how bad my ridge line is sagging. It's funny because this never happened before.

My new MSR Pocket Rocket. It was on sale, so I picked it up. Works way better than my pop can stove.

Another angle of the hammock. Man thats a saggy ridge line!

My Sawvivor. This thing tears through wood, if you don't have one yet I seriously suggest you get one.

All in all, A Successful Test!!!!!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    Looks to me like your angles are off. From the picture it looks like you might have your straps too high up the tree causing the ends of the hammock to compress towards each other making the ridge line collapse.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Yep, bring your straps down some and tighten the whoopies....or find wider trees. That should fix your sag. Glad you are getting it dialed in. The more often you do it, the easier it becomes. Most of all....Have fun!
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HangingKayaker View Post
    Looks to me like your angles are off. From the picture it looks like you might have your straps too high up the tree causing the ends of the hammock to compress towards each other making the ridge line collapse.
    +1 on that. It appears from the one shot that your tree straps are too high. If you have a smart phone, you can get applications (level or protractor) that will give you the angle by holding the edge of the phone to your suspension.

Or you can do the quick and dirty hold your thumb and index finger like you are making a gun. The angle between the tip of your extended index finger and your vertical thumb is pretty close to 30 degrees. To check your suspension, place the tip of your index finger (while perfectly horizontal) against your suspension. Your thumb should touch the suspension. If it doesn't your angle is greater than 30 degrees. If you thumb touches before your index finger, your angle is less than 30 degrees. So you adjust your tree straps and suspension length accordingly.

Glad your UQ is working out for you.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up UQ Test #3

Retreated to the winter test site last night for another test of my new UQ from JRB. Setup was done in about fifteen minutes, and the quilt was hanging perfectly. Since it was such a beautiful calm night out, I left the tarp up in porch mode on both sides with a little bit of pitch to shed any precip that may happen. Earlier, I swapped out my DIY 3/16 amsteel whoopies for a pair of 7/64 from Dutch and was worried that there would not be enough room at the hammock ends for my UQ suspension. I was wrong. There is ample room for both the snake skins to scrunch up and for both suspension loops, I think I have pictures, you will see what I mean.
    Time to gather wood for a fire. I set off into the woods and return with a full pulk of wood, sit down and light up a cig. Tired sets in. I skip the fire and decide to hit the hay in my warm, cozy hammock. Around two a.m. I woke to screaming winds and rain bitting my face, and not to mention I had to pee. I hesitantly got out of my snug, olive cocoon and proceeded to pitch the tarp for the occasion. It was cold with the northern winds cutting through my base layers. Under the tarp it was a bit warmer, the wind could still get inside by blowing underneath and from the ends. I remember wishing I had the Warbonnet Superfly I previously ordered on Sunday night. With another three weeks till delivery, I sucked it up and retreated back to the temperate safety of my hammock. I slept the rest of the night like a baby.
    I awoke with the sun at around eight a.m. and my feet were ice cold. Seems somehow my UQ had shifted off my foot box and was sagging below the hammock. I cursed the foul weather for disturbing my slumber the night before, and got up.
    All in All..... I am very happy with my purchase of the MW4. I have ordered a UQ protector from 2QZQ to hopefully give me that extra protection and allow me to push past the temp rating. In the summer I should be able to use my UQ and maybe just a blanket for top warmth , which will make my pack a heck of a lot lighter. Now, for the tarp!!

New red & black whoopies, Dutch clips, and DIY toggles (LOL). The red is for my head and black for foot. I have adjusted my suspension angle to roughly thirty degrees, but I am still not flat enough. I am thinking of making an ARL, but really don't know if it will help, or where to start.

I bought some figure nines to make hanging my tarp a cinch. Now I just need a proper ridge line. The one I am using works, it is two pieces of utility cord tied together with a sheet bend.

From inside my cozy cocoon. I had just woken up.

Head and Foot ends respectively. As you can see, I have adjusted my straps to get that thirty degree hang. I can't wait for my new tarp to get here. This one is becoming an eyesore. It will be great for extending my dry space in camp though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12