Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    PM me wth your address and I will send you enough amsteel for free.
    Wow Dutch! I don't know what to say. I just finished sending a PM to Mikeinajeep that I was likely going to order a pair of Hennessy slings from you since the price of buying rope along with shipping was going to be double what you charge for a set of pre-made slings.

- Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Where did he cut the old suspension off? What is there now? You will also need to address that...
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Where did he cut the old suspension off? What is there now? You will also need to address that...
    He cut the original ropes off about a foot from the hammock ends, tied the remaining bit of rope into a loop and attached a heavy carabiner to each loop. He was using the carabiners to clip onto some Atlas straps. But he's keeping the Atlas straps for his new hammock. The original Tree Huggers that came with the Hennessy are long gone as well.

However, I have watched two or three DIY videos that show how to replace Hennessy suspension with whoopie slings. I''ve already pulled back the little bit of fabric that covers where the original suspension ties into the hammock, so I can see that I will be able to follow the instructions I saw in those videos. Thank goodness for the YouTube demo videos. I would not have undertaken this otherwise.

- Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PineMartyn View Post
    He cut the original ropes off about a foot from the hammock ends, tied the remaining bit of rope into a loop and attached a heavy carabiner to each loop. He was using the carabiners to clip onto some Atlas straps. But he's keeping the Atlas straps for his new hammock. The original Tree Huggers that came with the Hennessy are long gone as well.

However, I have watched two or three DIY videos that show how to replace Hennessy suspension with whoopie slings. I''ve already pulled back the little bit of fabric that covers where the original suspension ties into the hammock, so I can see that I will be able to follow the instructions I saw in those videos. Thank goodness for the YouTube demo videos. I would not have undertaken this otherwise.

- Martin

I would not do that. Use the loops where he was attaching his biners at least for the first few times. Until you have used them I would not lock myself into whoopee slings. As long as you leave what you have alone you can use whoopee's or any other suspension.

It may sound like I am on an anti whoopee campaign. I am not. My point is that they are the lightest but not necessarily the best answer for a lot of folks. Read the suspension threads here and you will see a lot of folks use straps because they like them better. The tradeoff is fussyness in geting the whoopee's set and milked vs carrying a couple of ounces more to get a faster, simpler, setup. There is a place for both. It really takes a bit of use to figure out what you live with best. Spend a little time with the slings before you alter the hammock. That way you will know what you like to live with. I have and use both and know why. It all depends on what the trip is. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I would not do that. Use the loops where he was attaching his biners at least for the first few times. Until you have used them I would not lock myself into whoopee slings. As long as you leave what you have alone you can use whoopee's or any other suspension.
    Thanks for that advice nothermark. You're right. I'm a complete novice here and wouldn't want to burn any bridges (or suspension systems). My plan was simply to remove the cord that was left by the last owner and replace it with whoopies, but not to throw it away. I intend to keep them in case the whoopies don't work out for me, that way I can just re-attach what was there if I want to try out a strap suspension.

Thanks again. The feedback and input from people on this forum is very encouraging. It's all very bewildering, but following these forums has been a huge help.

- Martin

Hammock
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

My cup runneth over.

I'd like to thank all those who took the time to provide me with sources on where I can get the material I need. Dutch has generously offered to send me what I need for this project at no charge. Talk about encouraging newbies! Even my wife, who's been a little reticent about the whole hammocking thing, is now getting intrigued. I have a strong feeling I'll soon be investing in another hammock, tarp, and suspension system for her!

Gratefully,
    - Martin

Hammock
    Tarp
    stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    pad & sleeping bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

A big thank you to Dutch & Keith

A heartfelt thanks from me and my wife to Dutch and Keith for helping me out with this project. He sent me the Amsteel I needed to make two slings for my suspension-less hammock. The rope arrived this afternoon and I just completed the slings! I love DIY stuff when it comes to camping gear. All I need now is a nice day and I'll finally be able to try out my hammock.

My thanks to Dutch, who wouldn't even let me repay the shipping costs, and to Keith, who had to contend with some unusual difficulties in getting the rope shipped out to me. You gentleman are a real credit to this forum.

I hope I have an opportunity to pay forward this helpfulness and generosity in the near future.

Gratefully,
    - Martin

Hammock
    BIAS w.w.
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f
    Insulation
    Hammockgear U.Q.
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    Images

Dutch

Way to go dutch! We Hammocker stick together

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PineMartyn View Post
    I hope I have an opportunity to pay forward this helpfulness and generosity in the near future.
    Gratefully,
    - Martin
    You already have done a great service to the hiking/canoeing/camping communities here in Ontario. We've enjoyed your videos and good information on crown land camping, for example... Now you have been brought over to hammocking...i think it will be this forum that will benefit...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12