Mamajamba Tarp
    Insulation
    Mat in Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Lightbulb Hennessy Shoe Storage

Hey guys,

I got really sick of hanging my shoes from my hammock ridgeline, which I frustratingly couldn't reach from inside the hammock, as well as leaving it on the floor only to find you've just squashed a slug inside them on a midnight trip to the little boys room... I recently discovered thermoplastic and the amazing things you can do with it! I've made beer holders to go with my hammock chair, (pics to follow) as well as a decent solution to shoe storage for those with Hennessy hammocks or similar hammocks with side tie out points.

Please see my pictures to get the jist of it:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...hp?i=19899&c=4
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...hp?i=19898&c=4
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...hp?i=19897&c=4

They currently weigh around 30g's but I'm hoping to more or less half that when my new soldering iron arrives. (that stuff can be really tricky to work with when you only have boiling water to heat it up with!)

I haven't noticed any difference in the way the hammock hangs whatsoever, and it has kept my shoes dry, creepy crawly free, and quick to hand whenever I need them. It also hangs fine with just one shoe on it, so one of them doesn't flop onto the floor while you're putting the other on. I've given them a **** good shaking and they just don't fall off! I'd definitely recommend anyone else with similar problems to try something similar! Any improvements I can make do you think?

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    That's quite an interesting design. Obviously as improvements weight and size are always there but you seem to have that in the game plan.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Tarp
    Insulation
    Mat in Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Although I've only tested it twice, I can honestly say it's brilliant. The plastic stays very bendy as well, so stuffing it in your pack in anger is never a problem.

The beer holders I made are proof of that!
    Last edited by lucky5tar5; 01-30-2013 at 20:26.

Images
    With a bottom entry HH, I hang my shoes from the ridgeline inside the hammock with the shoes dangling outside the velco closure. If the laces are too short add a loop of line to the ridgeline mitten hook and tie your shoes to it. Shoes are then off the ground and at the ready.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Tarp
    Insulation
    Mat in Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've seen that method of hanging shoes from the ridgeline before, and I have to admit I'm quite envious, as at the time I was only able to get my hands on the side zip model. Seems like a much better way of doing it if you're able!

My shoes always get seriously dirty, so there's no way they'd ever be coming inside the hammock with me unless it was below freezing, in which case I'd use a dry bag or something...

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I like the concept but wonder about the hang direction. I'd hang off the laces at the toe so the heels are down. That gives better air flow for drying/airing out and less water inside if there is a morning sprinkle before you wake up... ;-) Nice job either way.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Tarp
    Insulation
    Mat in Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I can see where you're coming from completely. If my shoes were wet through I'd probably think about hanging them differently, but I very rarely get mine that wet inside despite endless marshes and moorland. When they're both hung the way I put them, the openings at the top of the shoes are more or less flush against each other, which I'm hoping will prevent any damp/bugs/sideways drizzle from getting in. It's worked so far anyways.

There's always room for improvement though. I need somewhere else to hang it that's easily to hand because at the moment it's taking up my beer holder spot! =P

Hammock
    HH Explorer asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    This looks good and you may well be onto something.

However I'm not sure of the advantages over a couple of sticks in the ground with my boots hung upside-down on them, always dry and so far bug free.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    This looks good and you may well be onto something.

However I'm not sure of the advantages over a couple of sticks in the ground with my boots hung upside-down on them, always dry and so far bug free.
    Agreed...but if you do want to hang them couldn't you just use the boots own pull up tabs to clip to the biner?
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Why not make something 1/10the the size and hang from the little loop thing at the back of your boots?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast