Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile New HH explorer and new to 'hanging' period

Hi guys. I recently gave up lightweight shelters and heavy solo tents on bikepacking trips for a shiny new HH explorer w/ snakeskins. I have read a lot of the forum and decided to compile a few questions:

-What are the modifications I should make in the order I should make them for lightening up the system as well as easing setup time. I know whoopie slings are the obv answer but are the whoopie hooks the latest and greatest?

-Is the stock fly sufficient?

- guy lines to ground or to rain fly?

- rain fly stored in snakeskins also?

-when purchasing a sleeping bag should i get one a few degrees colder if i dont plan on using an under quilt? What temp rating sleeping bags do you guys use around the southeast?

-new tree webbing with whoopie purchase or are stock straps ok?

-Adjustable ridgeline? or does it really matter

-should i brush up on knot tying? i dont know much

-whats the smallest I can expect this thing to pack with a compression sack?

- any other general tips to help a newbie out? I have watched a million setup videos with rings, whoopie slings, hooks, biners, etc and I basically looking for the most up to date methods and modifications that must be done to further enjoy.

Thanks a million in advance! I cant wait to get out there and hang

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    My first bit of advice is to here and watch all of Shug's videos. You will find a wealth of knowledge and a boat load of humor.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

While it is not specific to HH it all applies to hammocks and that is really all an HH is

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    So 3 main parts: Hammock, Insulation Top/Bottom, & Weather Protection/Tarp. What brands is your choice. Even the suspension. Just remember in needs to be something that can hold your weight and little to no stretch. An under quilt is (IMO) the way to go but a close cell pad works well. Just a sleeping bag will probably not cut it. You will be cold and super uncomfortable. And this is all just things I have learn from trail and error plus reading and asking questions just like you have on the Hammock Forums. Happy Hanging and keep researching is my best advise.
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicRider View Post
    Hi guys. I recently gave up lightweight shelters and heavy solo tents on bikepacking trips for a shiny new HH explorer w/ snakeskins. I have read a lot of the forum and decided to compile a few questions:

-What are the modifications I should make in the order I should make them for lightening up the system as well as easing setup time. I know whoopie slings are the obv answer but are the whoopie hooks the latest and greatest?
    Best advice to give is to attend a group hang or get with a couple of folks in your area and look at thier set-ups. Everybody will have something a bit different, you'll like one, and then make it your own.

-Is the stock fly sufficient?
    Yes, but you will eventually want something bigger. The Hennessey Hex is good, but there are lots of options.

- guy lines to ground or to rain fly?
    What I do is run the guy lines on the hammock (I have an Expedition and a Deep JUngle) to the ground. If I'm using the stock tarp, I hook the guy lines for that to a prusik loop on the hammock guys. You have to be careful to set the hammock guys so that they are in a line with the tarp guys, but what it does for you is it gives you the ability to adjust the tarp from inside the hammock (unless you have a bottom entry)

- rain fly stored in snakeskins also?
    That's OK if the tarp hasn't gotten wet, but if it has, it will get your hammock wet when you store them in the same skins (ask me how I know). Best bet is to get a pair of mesh snakeskins from Mountaingoat Gear or one of the other cottage folks, then lash that to the outside of your pack. That will allow your tarp to dry out a bit while its stored in them. Still a good idea to hang it out to dray after you get home, though.

-when purchasing a sleeping bag should i get one a few degrees colder if i dont plan on using an under quilt? What temp rating sleeping bags do you guys use around the southeast?
    Best advice here is not to rely on a sleeping bag for anything other than top insulation---use it with the zipper open like a quilt. You can get away with a sleeping pad most of the year down south, but sometimes you will slide off of it. Best bet is to get an underquilt. Arrowhead Equipment has a moderately priced one called the Potomac that is desinged for use with Hennessey's. I have one and I love it.

-new tree webbing with whoopie purchase or are stock straps ok?
    I'm not a big fan of the stock Hennessy tree straps---I've never used them. Any one of the cottage guys can privide you with some good 1" wide polyester straps, or you can go to WalMart and buy some cargo straps and cut off the ratchet.

-Adjustable ridgeline? or does it really matter
    I like them, but that's going to be a personal choice.

-should i brush up on knot tying? i dont know much
    I can't help you much here. Its not that I don't trust knots---its that I don't trust MY knots. I have found the prusik loop has a million uses.

-whats the smallest I can expect this thing to pack with a compression sack?
    I found snake skins can be bulky and hard to manage. I finally desinged a custom pack and had it built for me, but you probably don't need to do anything near as drastic. The sack the hammock comes in is about it.

- any other general tips to help a newbie out? I have watched a million setup videos with rings, whoopie slings, hooks, biners, etc and I basically looking for the most up to date methods and modifications that must be done to further enjoy.
    Just get out in the woods with your hammock, especially if you can get out with some folks who have been doing it for any length of time. Learning from each other is one of the best things about hammock camping. Everybody has a good idea, and everybody has tried some bad ones, too. Its a magnificent community filled with knowledgeable and helpful people eager to share their knowledge and learn more than they already know. You will never stop learning new things and new ways to do everything that has to do with hanging in the woods.

You might also get a copy of The Ultimate Hang, written by one of the members here. Its a valuable resource and will anser a LOT of questions.

Thanks a million in advance! I cant wait to get out there and hang
    Welcome to the madness.
    Last edited by sargevining; 02-06-2013 at 23:36.

Images
    Hi ER,
    I'm a mtn biker that hangs.
    Some type of insulation is needed under you since your body weight will compress your sleeping bag.
    Pads work OK but are bulky to stow on the bike.
    A nice down 3/4 length under quilt will compress very small and is easy to stow.

OutandBack- thanks for the fellow cyclist suggestion. What type of under quilt do you have? what are the lighter ones out there?

Also, could I get away with a 45 degree bag and the under quilt? Trying to keep it pretty light. I am already wishing I got the lighter Hennessy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicRider View Post
    OutandBack- thanks for the fellow cyclist suggestion. What type of under quilt do you have? what are the lighter ones out there?

Also, could I get away with a 45 degree bag and the under quilt? Trying to keep it pretty light. I am already wishing I got the lighter Hennessy.
    When the nighttime temps are not expected to get much below 40F I use a HammockGear.com Summer UQ over stuffed with 2oz of down.

I think you could use a 45 degree bag.
    Remember you can always sleep with your warm layer of cloths if required.
    The best way to know is do a little backyard testing so you could bail to the house if required.

Here's a few picts of what I bikepack for winter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outandb...7631519909619/

And a typical fall bikepack

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outandb...7631838923828/
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-07-2013 at 10:11.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest/CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Hennessy hangs fine "out of the box" IMO. I've not hiked any distance with it yet, so haven't found a need to shave the grams off, but it's pretty foolproof as it stands.

My advice, get out there and hang, then refine, then hang, then refine, then hang. Pretty soon you'll have your own system sorted.

I can get down to -6 deg c comfortably on a pad with a coat and a couple of strips of karrimat to keep my shoulders warm. Definitely going to get a couple of underquilts when finances allow, but stock hennessy setup + thermarest + down bag = comfortable nights sleep for me.

I'm not a wealthy person, and not really a gear head, so I really love the innovative hacks and home-brew so abundant amongst hammockers.

OutnBack- I just checked out the quilt on the site. Do you think this is among the lightest/most packable options for me? if I am going to almost buy a sleeping bag again price-wise I want to get something that will pack up teenie tiny. I may be carrying some of the girlfriend's gear as well. sigh

Follow UP: looks like the WB Yeti is the nicest UQ for packability and weight. Anyone have better suggestions?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast