Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Another "BEARS!" thread

As Stephen Colbert tells us, bears are the #1 threat to America, so I figured I would bring this one up again...

On one hand, I've always learned to do things a certain way to avoid bears - no cooking at your campsite, hang your stuff in bags, and so on and so forth...

Yet, I have seen lots of people on hammockforums using their hammocks as chairs to cook their dinners, keeping snacks in there with them. Is this simply a case of people being outside bear country and not having to worry? Am I being overly paranoid about bears?

I do most of my camping and hiking in the north georgia mountains, and while it's no bear haven, it sounds like there have been occasional potentially dangerous bear encounters around here, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I've considered picking up two of the small bearvaults, with the idea being that I could carry one or two depending on the amount of time i'm spending out. Most of my trips will tend to be weekend overnighters, and I'm not keen on carrying a huge bear canister for those trips.

I've also heard enough horror stories about bear bags that I'm leaning far away from them. Thats what we always used in scouts, but that was over 15 years ago so I suppose the bears have gotten smarter

I know there are some folks on here who do a lot of backpacking in my neck of the woods - what are your typical precautions for bears? If I do some short section hikes of the AT in the Chattahoochee Nat'l Forest, will I look like a tool getting all worked up over bears while everyone else doesn't worry? I've never actually seen any signs of bears in my limited hiking around Georgia, but I remember some scary encounters in the 'ole hunting cabin in Pennsylvania when I was a kid.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Theres bears everywheres!

Lots of folks use their foodbag for a pillow and are still around to brag about it on other forums. Properly hung bear bags which use two trees and a line between are a huge PITA, but would reduce food thefts that destroy stuff sacks in the process.

FWIW, I hiked super quiet and alone more often than not in an effort to see a bear on my thru. I didn't see one until almost Waynesboro when I was night hiking The Priest! I heard plenty of them around camp at night, but they were long gone by the time I got up and out. However, once I saw my first one it was pretty much one after another. All but one of them were big scardy cats.

Oh yeah, I don't think there was a single night that a Snickers/PowerBar/Butterfinger etc. wasn't in the pocket of my ElDorado. I'm a midnight muncher.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Camping smart and taking precautions is the best way. Don't bring smelly foods, soaps, etc. with you in your pack. Cook downwind of your sleeping area and don't sleep in clothes you cook in.

There's always the idea of bringing along a nice hand gun, bear spray, or this ridiculous item...

Portable Electric Bear Fence.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Just had to show you this. Sure, like this will stop a hungry 300+ lbs. bear.

Being a smart camper and understanding how to live in harmony with bears and all creatures, is probably your best bet.
    Last edited by 2Trees; 01-12-2009 at 14:27.

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Coming from bear country, Yosemite and Kings canyon area, You have to be careful. First, it is required in the wilderness areas to carry a bear can. A big pain in the %$#^. I have a bear can and it weighs in at 2 and half pounds. Second, I cook else wear I'll take my pack and stove and some other stuff and hike down the trail 500 yard or so. This is only for dinner. Lunch your on the move and breakfast your going to break camp. Third, you can't leave anything with you, not even chap-stick and toiletries. I pace my can a 100 yards off behind a rock or something. I have seen bears shred through ice chests,cars, and a tent trailer. We used to stay up late at night to watch them feed at the dumpsters. I've seen them open the lid and climb in and chow down. Most places now have locking dumpsters and trash cans. But someone always forget to close them up. They do scare off easily. loud noise, car horn, baning pots and pans, a whistle. Some dub #%$^ was shooting a 45 in the air, not to smart the rangers came and arrested him. Russ
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Because I am a short distance hiker, a lot of the group hikes I did (before HF) were highly beer related. It never ceased to amuse me that they would go off and hang their food and then leave empty beer bottles around the campfire. I use an ursack myself as I do not hike in the regulated areas which require cannisters. BTW there is at least one bear in the "Daks" high peaks who has learned to open cannisters that were supposed to be bomb proof.

Being careful is the best protection. But being paranoid can be self defeating. I think the issues of cooking around the camp are maximized by frequenting the heavily established campsites and shelters. If you solitary camp outside of the usual sites I suspect you have less to worry about. Bears have excellent smellers but they are also incredibly lazy preferring to take the path of least resistance. Why should they seek out the solitary hanger when there are so many idjiots just waiting to be yogied.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    As Stephen Colbert tells us, bears are the #1 threat to America, so I figured I would bring this one up again...

On one hand, I've always learned to do things a certain way to avoid bears - no cooking at your campsite, hang your stuff in bags, and so on and so forth...

Yet, I have seen lots of people on hammockforums using their hammocks as chairs to cook their dinners, keeping snacks in there with them. Is this simply a case of people being outside bear country and not having to worry? Am I being overly paranoid about bears?

I do most of my camping and hiking in the north georgia mountains, and while it's no bear haven, it sounds like there have been occasional potentially dangerous bear encounters around here, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I've considered picking up two of the small bearvaults, with the idea being that I could carry one or two depending on the amount of time i'm spending out. Most of my trips will tend to be weekend overnighters, and I'm not keen on carrying a huge bear canister for those trips.

I've also heard enough horror stories about bear bags that I'm leaning far away from them. Thats what we always used in scouts, but that was over 15 years ago so I suppose the bears have gotten smarter

I know there are some folks on here who do a lot of backpacking in my neck of the woods - what are your typical precautions for bears? If I do some short section hikes of the AT in the Chattahoochee Nat'l Forest, will I look like a tool getting all worked up over bears while everyone else doesn't worry? I've never actually seen any signs of bears in my limited hiking around Georgia, but I remember some scary encounters in the 'ole hunting cabin in Pennsylvania when I was a kid.
    Bears in other areas have figured out to just grab a simple bear line, but not in Georgia. In north Georgia it depends on where you are at and the time of year as to how much you should worry about bears coming around your camp at night. Well used camp sites may be frequented from time to time by particular bears. I usually just throw a bear line over a limb and don't worry about it being a long ways away from me (I don't sleep under it either). I keep the line tied high on a tree so a critter doesn't accidentally snag it when walking by.

The only places I have had problems were bear cables where varmints learn how to get to the suspended bags because they are in the same location night after night so they can find any weaknesses and perfect their technique. I often just throw my own line somewhere else. Bears have been known to snatch unattended backpacks and taking off with them.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Here is something to consider.

There are a lot of people that don't hang food or take any special precautions. There are also very very few bear attacks. I am not saying which you should do, but something to consider.

This theory also works well for me when I am sleeping alone in the middle of no where and hear a noise.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    This theory also works well for me when I am sleeping alone in the middle of no where and hear a noise.
    That's when I do my impression of a lighthouse with my headlamp! I swear the smaller the critter, the more noise they make.

I should clarify my earlier post; I was referring only to the AT, not other more dangerous areas. Would I keep a Snickers with me in Grizzly territory? Heck no! But East Coast means Black Bears and they are not known for aggressive behavior; doesn't mean they aren't capable, just not as likely.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    One thing I'm going to start doing is making dinner before I get to camp. Maybe a mile or 2 before where I want to camp. This way when I get to camp there is no food smell around me, and I fool the sneaky bears into thinking I'm a mile back.

I also don't pack my food in a picanick baskit, Yogi has nothing on me.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    One thing I'm going to start doing is making dinner before I get to camp. Maybe a mile or 2 before where I want to camp. This way when I get to camp there is no food smell around me, and I fool the sneaky bears into thinking I'm a mile back.

I also don't pack my food in a picanick baskit, Yogi has nothing on me.
    Infantry scouts have been doing that probably since the Spartans or before, it is a sound practice. Have a protein shake when you get to camp and hang the food bag. Also, the best way to hang a food bag, IMHO, is the PCT method.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast