DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

JCP Puffer - wearable TQ & Hood

Picked up 5 of the cheap JC Penny puffer jackets that have been talked about elsewhere. So far I've made a wearable TQ/Sleeping bag and a down hood out of my first 3 JCP Puffers.

TQ is made of 1 unaltered jacket plus another jacket with the arms removed and the half (waist to armpit) of a 3rd jacket. The vest & 1/2 jacket extension are permanently connected. The jacket can then be buttoned to the vest to form a TQ. All zippers are still intact so if desired the various sections can be zipper around me to form a footbox or even a fully enclosed sleeping bag. The two halves can also be disconnected and worn as a jacket or extra long vest. They're plenty large enough that they can also be worn together on those really cold mornings. Since somebody will ask, weight is 30oz.

The hood was formed from the leftover pieces of the half jacket. Weight 2.3oz.

To do yet - UQ, and maybe some booties and mitts from the sleeves.

Hammock
    ENO-Dbl, Grand Trunk-Dbl, BIAS,SmkH
    Tarp
    ENO, SmkH HMS
    Insulation
    homemade pea pod
    Suspension
    ENO Straps, Whoopy
    Great job. I've been working on the same project with JCPenny puffer. I used two 4Xl's full jackets minus the sleeves for the UQ leaving the zippers in place so it could be used as a sleep bag. Now I may see if I can find two more for a a TQ. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    No way! Very cool
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Very nice Lorax.That was the same as I was going to do. Two coats arent long enough for my height (6'-4") and I needed to join a combintion of coats together.

More close-ups/details of your button mod would be nice..

I was brainstorming a zipper mod, and keeping the pieces wearable as well, but you beat me it.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks! Just two weren't long enough for me either. I had thought about trying to splice the sleeves in to get extra length but came to the conclusion that at $14ea it was better to just get a 3rd jacket. I'll post more pictures tonight of how they are joined and the various "modes".

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Very nice Lorax.That was the same as I was going to do. Two coats arent long enough for my height (6'-4") and I needed to join a combintion of coats together.

More close-ups/details of your button mod would be nice..

I was brainstorming a zipper mod, and keeping the pieces wearable as well, but you beat me it.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    OP, so your quilt is essentially two layers right? Are you laying it over you, or somehow getting inside of the jackets?

Man I really like the application of multi-use gear here. Think about it....you could wear half of your top quilt on your hike in...comes time for sleepy time you construct the quilt. Then in the morning, instead of it sitting in your hammock all day or whatever, you just wear it. awesome.

Need to work on one for my RR...probly an underquilt though.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Lorax,
    I asked in the UQ JC Penny thread, but do you think this TQ will get you to 30 degrees with an appropriate UQ?

Also how wide are these jackets?
    Thanks

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I'm in the process of making one, but I'm thinking more in the 40 degree range, using my pad and SPE. They are pretty thin.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Lorax,
    I asked in the UQ JC Penny thread, but do you think this TQ will get you to 30 degrees with an appropriate UQ?

Also how wide are these jackets?
    Thanks

well the one I actually got to wear regularly as a jacket is good down to around 30* but that is active, for sleeping I think around 40* is probably more realistic. it is plenty big though so I could easily nest with another quilt or just wear my jacket. it will be a while until I can test - was 13 below this morning and it definitely is not rated for that!

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here are some more pics and details.

As far as the button mod, I just used Dritz Snap Fastners and affixed them to the edge which I re-enforced with bias tape. They work ok, but it's a pain to get everything lined up and securely crimped together. I've already had one come apart on me too. For anyone wanting to duplicate I'd recommend sew on snaps or just getting a long zipper which is probably cheaper and easier.

Here's the lower part which is one vest with sleeves removed (still need to figure out how to close the arm holes when in quilt mode - probably add zippers).

Quilt/Sleeping bag mode. You can put your arms in the - well arms - which should be nice while reading at night or trying to emulate Shug and making "breakfast from the hammock". You could also switch which side is the top so the zips are either in front of behind you - since the front of the jacket seems to have more down you might even be able to alter the temp rating somewhat by flipping it over.

Worn as a vest or if it's really cold vest + jacket. Since the extension piece still has it's zipper you can open it up and still easily walk. So if it's really cold in the morning you could just unbutton the middle toss the lower part over you and you're ready to go without having to really get out of your cozy warm down.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast