Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by psilokan View Post
    The difference is you're hanging off the ground where air is free to travel under you and wick away the precious warmth your body is generating. The same issue does exist in a tent, except it's the ground sucking your heat out of you, and this is why we sleep on foam pads. You can also use a foam pad under you in a hammock but I find it to be uncomfortable having *anything* underneath me in a hammock. So this is why I also no longer use my sleeping bag + pad in a hammock, it was a nightmare gettng in and out of it, constantly squirming about trying to get it in just the right position. I can't even begin to tell you how much more comfortable it is having nothing between you and the hammock, a TQ/UQ setup is expensive but far superior in terms of warmth and comfort.
    I was on my second hang last weekend. I simply took my sleeping bag out of the hammock, steped into it, zipped up, and mine has double full length zips, and got into the hammock, lay down and I was out as a candle. No squirming around at all, and warm as toast all night.

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    Quote Originally Posted by gagodfrey View Post
    I was going to start a DIY TQ project but I'm just not sure it's worth it.

What are the advantages of using a TQ over a quality sleeping bag? Is the main advantage weight savings? You lose some versatility going with a TQ, but if the weight savings was significant I guess I can see the advantage.

The way I see it, I'm going to spend about the same amount of money so why not go with a good bag that has more versatility. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are right on the money. In fact, depending on the temp rating, many down bags can be found this time of year (close out/ last years model) for much less than a TQ. Whether a TQ is worth the extra money depends on how far you plan to carry it.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPappy View Post
    You are right on the money. In fact, depending on the temp rating, many down bags can be found this time of year (close out/ last years model) for much less than a TQ. Whether a TQ is worth the extra money depends on how far you plan to carry it.
    That makes sense. If I'm going to spend $250 on either a quality bag or a TQ. I feel like the bag is a lot more versatile...it can be used as a TQ as well.

So a quality 15 degree bag is going to weight about what? 32 oz? Does a comparable TQ weigh a lot less than that?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Quote Originally Posted by psilokan View Post
    The difference is you're hanging off the ground where air is free to travel under you and wick away the precious warmth your body is generating. The same issue does exist in a tent, except it's the ground sucking your heat out of you, and this is why we sleep on foam pads. You can also use a foam pad under you in a hammock but I find it to be uncomfortable having *anything* underneath me in a hammock. So this is why I also no longer use my sleeping bag + pad in a hammock, it was a nightmare gettng in and out of it, constantly squirming about trying to get it in just the right position. I can't even begin to tell you how much more comfortable it is having nothing between you and the hammock, a TQ/UQ setup is expensive but far superior in terms of warmth and comfort.
    I can second this from a tenting perspective. I got caught in freezing temps with no mat and a light hiking bag. My emergency banket kept the heat from excaping through the top of my bag, but the cold came in from ground on the bottom.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies

what about the zipper

I use a mummy bag as a tq and am wondering if anyone thinks the zipper will ever be an issue? possibly tearing the hammock, or your back?? thinking about removing it. any thoughts

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar View Post
    I use a mummy bag as a tq and am wondering if anyone thinks the zipper will ever be an issue? possibly tearing the hammock, or your back?? thinking about removing it. any thoughts
    Hi Gnar and welcome.

It may do, I have ripped a hammock like this with a metal zip on a cheap bag.

Not fatally, but it punched a hole.

Making sure its kept down the foot end or even better with a piece of gaffer tape wrapped round any sharp bits of the zip.

I like the options and flexibility my bag gives and won't remove the zipper. Nice smooth rounded plastic zippers should be fine though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234