Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Anybody ever hunt from a hammock?

Just wondering. Anybody have any hunting stories involving a hammock. I know here in Indiana deer hunting sometimes involves long waits in the bitter cold. One could sleep overnight in the woods and just hunt right from the hammock...
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Warbonet Super Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    I tried some beaver hunting from a hammock once and was so comfortable I missed a chance to take a shot. It was also hard to get around into position to take the shot without the hammock swinging, when a beaver showed up in an unexpected location.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    So now not only will Shug be having breakfast from the hammock, he'll be killing breakfast from the hammock?
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I shoot a lot, so no, not a chance.

But if I did, half asleep and from a swinging hammock,it would go something like this:
    BANG, ouch, uh oh.....

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think from the position of sitting down in the hammock with maybe a shooting stick to level your aim, can't see why it couldn't be done...Get some of that burlap camo stuff with some holes in it...

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinDWhite View Post
    I tried some beaver hunting from a hammock once and was so comfortable I missed a chance to take a shot. It was also hard to get around into position to take the shot without the hammock swinging, when a beaver showed up in an unexpected location.
    Is this for real? Or a joke? Either way it's pretty funny...

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If I were going to put the hammock in a blind maybe,,but still,,for deer hunting? One, it moves, 2, not stealthy at all, three, would break my chain of thinking as me getting too lazy. 4. Big bucks would notice. 5. Can't think of a 5 cause I am still thinking about someone considering deer hunting in Indiana with a hammock as our hunting in Indiana is tough enough. I spend hours and days in the stand to shoot a big buck every year. 20ft or more above the ground and it pays off finally, But I have to move from stand to stand as depending on which way the wind is blowing or the weather is changing, or playing the thermals that rise and fall depending on the time of day. Can't see doing any of that in a a hammock for deer hunting.

As far as stand sitting all nite,,done that one years ago quite a few times,,and that is very tough on you,,tieing your self to keep from falling out while asleep,,taking sleeping bags with me. Go for it and see how hard that is, and most big bucks, rutting, are moving more at nite than day and will notice you more at nite when yu least expect it. You can't see them,,but they can see and hear you.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Cant imagine trying to make a good shot from one...but maybe thats cause when I think shooting I think bow...

But it would seem like haning next to your stand could be a smart way to be in place early, and without worrying about what you may alert on your way to the stand.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    One of these "chairs" HERE designed by [o]tter would work better, if you could stay awake. Not the stand, just the hammock part and use trees.

I tried to hunt and hang. I strung one side real high (6') and one end low (2'), created a chair of sorts, trees were closely spaced, maybe 6'-8' apart. It can work. But you need some insulation, the hammock, the gun, etc. Ended up being more hassle, IMO. Setting up created more noise than just unfolding a chair. Plus the sway would be problematic.

But the hammock/chair is comfortable. Bowhunt from one?..no way.

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    If I were going to put the hammock in a blind maybe,,but still,,for deer hunting? One, it moves, 2, not stealthy at all, three, would break my chain of thinking as me getting too lazy. 4. Big bucks would notice. 5. Can't think of a 5 cause I am still thinking about someone considering deer hunting in Indiana with a hammock as our hunting in Indiana is tough enough. I spend hours and days in the stand to shoot a big buck every year. 20ft or more above the ground and it pays off finally, But I have to move from stand to stand as depending on which way the wind is blowing or the weather is changing, or playing the thermals that rise and fall depending on the time of day. Can't see doing any of that in a a hammock for deer hunting.

As far as stand sitting all nite,,done that one years ago quite a few times,,and that is very tough on you,,tieing your self to keep from falling out while asleep,,taking sleeping bags with me. Go for it and see how hard that is, and most big bucks, rutting, are moving more at nite than day and will notice you more at nite when yu least expect it. You can't see them,,but they can see and hear you.
    Well, I don't go after the big bucks, rather have a medium sized doe. On the other hand, I've never had the skill or good fortune to actually shoot a deer at all. I'm usually just sitting in the woods freezing my A** off. I do have friends that I butcher their deer for and they keep me in venison, so maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to hang out all day!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast