Images

WBUQ and pad PeaPod style

So yesterday I was getting my afternoon old guys nap, hanging in my backyard with my BB plus CS WBUQ. It was a very windy 37*F when I came in about 430PM. I finally remembered to try something I had been thinking about.

You guys may remember I have a friend and fellow hanger from Asheville, NC who uses a 55*F summer PeaPod plus top quilt and Thermarest pad. He places the pad down in the PeaPod underneath the hammock, a pad which he carries anyway in case we have/want to camp above timberline. He loves this set up, and he had zero warmth issues in the 20s and 30s with wind, snow, etc.

I had been wondering how this would work with some of the snug fit type of UQs? So yesterday I took my cut off 20" wide WM blue pad and placed it on top pf the Warbonnet UW. I was actually able to do this while laying in the hammock.

It appeared to work perfectly. A potential problem in the PeaPod would be compressing the down if you snugged it too tight against your back. This appeared to be no problem with the WBUQ. As far as I could tell, the pad was snugged nicely against my back and butt, and the UQ was snugged nicely against the pad ( of course- that is the only thing holding the pad against my back!) and my sides. The fit on the UQ seemed unchanged, as far as I could tell from within the hammock. I could not, in any way, tell that the pad was there comfort wise.

However, I did not notice a big dif in warmth ( maybe a little when the wind blew hard?), but could that be because it was only about 37*F? As I had all 4 layers in the UQ and should have been plenty warm anyway? Not sure. I was out later last night with just the UQ in the 20s( much less wind) and was plenty warm.

So, FWIW, something to think about and consider if you are pushing the limit of your UQ, or things are wet or the wind can not be escaped. Though it did not in any way decrease comfort, I suppose sweat might be an issue for some folks? Maybe with the colder temps coming I can tell if it actually helps temp wise. I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work with a Snugfit or MWUQ( on the BB or maybe even better on the BMBH), but who knows. I will check it out with the MWUQ soon. I might need to use my additional grip clips and shock cord supports, but maybe not.

Of course, with these double layer hammocks I could just put the pad in the pad sleeve, but I'm not sure I am as unaware of the pads presence as I was with this technique. Plus, any readjustment of pad position is a simple matter when the pad is underneath the hammock, not so in the pad pocket of a gathered end hammock.
    And I am thinking this would work even better with a thinner, more flexible pad like a GG.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-14-2009 at 09:33.

Images
    only thing to watch for is if the pad is wide enough that it buckles and the buckles effect the seal on the sides of the uq letting heat out of it. what were the dims. of the pad?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    only thing to watch for is if the pad is wide enough that it buckles and the buckles effect the seal on the sides of the uq letting heat out of it. what were the dims. of the pad?
    20" wide by torso length, not quite as long as the WBUQ. Everything appeared normal on the sides, and as far as I could tell no change on the ends. But you are right, that would be a caution, as opposed to the "closed system" of the PeaPod. OTOH, if things are tight enogh to pull the pad against my back, at least I don't have to worry about compressing UQ insulation, as I do with the PeaPod.

• + New Posts