Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    diy, tewa, speer
    Suspension
    whooooopie
    Images

Diy booties help

Howdy! So I have one of those Jcp jackets and made some down sleeves. Now I want to make some down booties but don't know where to start or how to go about such a project. Any pointers or tips you may have?

I posted this in another thread but due to lack of responses I wanted to try this area of the forum.

Thanks for the help!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    I've been thinking about that same thing. I would imagine that going about it in the same way that shoes are made. I should say I have never made down booties these are just my thoughts.

Get a pair of shoes with whatever socks you will be wearing inside of the down booties but make sure it is a bit loose. Then make up some Plaster of Paris (The non cooking type) which is relatively cheap and easy to make and put it into the shoe and let harden. After it hardens cut off the shoe from the mold which would make a last with a razor blade or dremel. You can use this as a 3D model for measurements of the inside material. From there it is all down to how you would like the exterior to look. I would suggest making a paper model on top of the last if you do not have the math skills to calculate out the measurements you are looking for, DON"T FORGET SEAM ALLOWANCE. Don't forget bottom insulation. I would suggest closed cell foam made from your measured out last. The bottom layer of your bootie should be a higher denier water proof substance, nothing slick though you do want some traction on the snow. I'm not sure on the loft you will want on the booties I guess it depends on the weather you are going to use it in. My friend has some feathered friend down booties they have about just under an inch of loft I think. Don't forget to make some over covers something water resistant and breathable. I would probably try and remove the entire sole in one piece on your shoes and sew, glue and seam seal these by hand to bottom of the covers, may not be a bad idea to add some sort of heat reflective material to the bottom sole area. Not sure how to do that and still retain the ability of it to secure to the covers. Perhaps doing something like Columbia Omni heat might work where you punch out a bunch of round holes and sandwich this between.

Again these are just my thoughts.
    Last edited by bgraybackpacker; 02-02-2013 at 15:29.

Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bgraybackpacker View Post
    I've been thinking about that same thing. I would imagine that going about it in the same way that shoes are made. I should say I have never made down booties these are just my thoughts.
    Wow, you really have been thinking about this...

I don't know what you want to do with these booties, but I've made some very simple ones from just making a cardboard pattern, oversizing it, sewing it up and stuffing it. Not sure how you apply this to the JCP material, but it's not necessarily complicated if you just want booties to sleep in.

HFG

Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

TDStand Instructions

TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

My super simple method

Just made some down socks/booties from two of my JCP Puffer sleeves - super simple 5 minute process. All I did was turn the sleeves inside out and then sew the shoulder opening together turn it back right side out and fold the two ends of your new seam in towards the middle and just tack the points together (this step isn't necessary but I thought it made the toe look a bit better). Put your feet in through what was previously the wrist opening and the elastic should hold them up at about mid-calf without being too tight. Done.

This style wouldn't really be for wearing around camp without adding an outer layer of something more sturdy but perfect for sleeping at night.

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lorax View Post
    Just made some down socks/booties from two of my JCP Puffer sleeves - super simple 5 minute process. All I did was turn the sleeves inside out and then sew the shoulder opening together turn it back right side out and fold the two ends of your new seam in towards the middle and just tack the points together (this step isn't necessary but I thought it made the toe look a bit better). Put your feet in through what was previously the wrist opening and the elastic should hold them up at about mid-calf without being too tight. Done.

This style wouldn't really be for wearing around camp without adding an outer layer of something more sturdy but perfect for sleeping at night.

I like it its more like modifying an already made product but I bet it works great. Might have a bit of a cold line down the middle of your foot but it works. I have very few down clothing products (2 total) so I have never even considered cutting one up.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    There's a pattern in this thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=45232
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bgraybackpacker View Post
    I like it its more like modifying an already made product but I bet it works great. Might have a bit of a cold line down the middle of your foot but it works. I have very few down clothing products (2 total) so I have never even considered cutting one up.
    Yeah until Christmas I had zero down items - now I've got a couple of JCP jackets that I'm (GASP) actually using as jackets plus a wearable TQ, down hood and now down "socks" and will be working on a UQ and maybe a pair of mitts and a hat depending on what pieces are left over. Those JCP Puffers are so cheap and just begging to be remade. (And this forum is a bad influence )

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    easy quick way for a pattern, put on a pair of socks, tape them loosely with duct tape, then take sock off. Cut the sock + tape into a pattern sheet custom for your feet.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    easy quick way for a pattern, put on a pair of socks, tape them loosely with duct tape, then take sock off. Cut the sock + tape into a pattern sheet custom for your feet.

That sir is far too sensible may have to try this as I plan my over boot so my socks can be worn around to camp. Thinking sun shade foam should be sturdy enough to provide basic protection and some extra warmth.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    The pattern from http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=45232 is great. You can trace the bottom of you foot for the base piece (I recommend giving yourself a little wiggle room), which you can also do in down or a more sturdy material, depending on how you intend to use them in camp.

Post pics when you make/finish 'em.

cK--