Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images

MAHHA't belongs in Shenandoah

Well, I had every intention of making it up to PA for MAHHA, but after working late on Friday and sleeping in a bit on Saturday, I headed directly west and turned south instead. I figured some trail work was in order after the last couple rounds of storms we've had (and boy, was I ever right!), so I opted for some backcountry hangtime in Shenadoah NP to finally test my new Blackbird in the outdoors...where it was born to fly.

The trail itself was in decent shape, but there were several large blowdowns which will require a crew (any volunteers??) to help remove later this month.

This massive tree actually fell away from the trail, and the root system took part of the tread with it.

I found a perfect spot about 1.5 miles from the trailhead off Skyline and set up camp. Took me a while to get the BB hung right (did even more tweaking after the pics were taken), then spent the evening relaxing under the MC Deluxe in porch mode with the dog.

Even got some twilight fishing in before settling in for dinner and one heckuva good night's sleep.

An average SNP brook trout.

Also tested (it was a trip of firsts!) was my new Mini Atomic 2 pop can stove and Heiny pot set up from Minibull Design. The flames went up the side of the pot more than I had expected, but it boiled water and I ate well...works for me.

Temps dropped to low 40s or so I believe. The new 3 season Phoenix performed flawlessly in its first outdoor deployment as well, though it, too, took some tweaking and pulling and shifting to get just right under the bird. All told, a great system. Birds of a feather, eh?

Making breakfast.

I hiked out Sunday and headed to a cabin I had access to for another night of hanging. Unfortunately, it rained from the time I pulled into the parking area until early evening so I was stuck in the cabin after hiking in and I didn't get to test out yet another new piece of gear...the camo Superfly that came in the mail just last week. I did 'hang' it in the cabin in order to fix guylines and play around with some anchoring and door ideas. Big thanks to Bill (aka body942) for the terrific advice on the door lines! The rain finally did let up enough for me to build a great big campfire and roast some hot dogs--about as gourmet as you can get in the woods if you ask me. I ended up sleeping on a mouse turd-infested bunk in the cabin, mere inches away from my packed up BB and quilts. Easily the worst night of sleep in a very long time, and I couldn't wait to get home just so I could hang in the living room.

Glad everyone had a great time at MAHHA; the pics and videos I've seen are awesome! Will definitely make it to the next one as I still have much to learn.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Great report! Where did you go in SNP? I'm looking to get out for about 4 days of backpacking in the coming weeks and am looking for good hikes. Also, what advice did he give about the door lines on the SF, I've been looking at ways to set these up too.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptease View Post
    Great report! Where did you go in SNP? I'm looking to get out for about 4 days of backpacking in the coming weeks and am looking for good hikes. Also, what advice did he give about the door lines on the SF, I've been looking at ways to set these up too.
    Thanks Triptease...the trail I maintain is Upper Jeremys Run (MP 24 or so), just past Elk Wallow wayside. I just did an out and back since I was doing trail work, but there are some good loops in the area which include the AT and Neighbor Mtn. Here's a link to the 14 mile loop I'm thinking of, which could easily be stretched into a 2-3 nighter I think: http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id82.html.

And here's the link to body942's superfly setup: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29556. The shock cord lengths were ~ 4' I think. I'm trying mitten hooks in lieu of the s-biners, but I think I'll end up going with his s-biner idea in the end.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Images
    The Superfly is an excellent tarp. I've set mine up in the rain, and then set my hammock and stuff up underneath. Plenty of room. One of the advantages to using a tarp/hammock over a tent.

SNP is some excellent hiking for sure. I've been going there since 1976 with my parents. Always a great trip, and tons of wildlife! July 2009 I thru hike the park on the AT and saw 7 bears during my trip.

Great photos you've got there. Thanks for sharing. I doubt the MAHHA will move to SNP, with the $15 entrance fee. Pine Grove Furnace was free for us, and a lot more accessible with the group camp site, pavilion with electric, and bathrooms.

Images
    The Superfly is an excellent tarp. I've set mine up in the rain, and then set my hammock and stuff up underneath. Plenty of room. One of the advantages to using a tarp/hammock over a tent.

SNP is some excellent hiking for sure. I've been going there since 1976 with my parents. Always a great trip, and tons of wildlife! July 2009 I thru hike the park on the AT and saw 7 bears during my trip.

Great photos you've got there. Thanks for sharing. I doubt the MAHHA will move to SNP, with the $15 entrance fee. Pine Grove Furnace was free for us, and a lot more accessible with the group camp site, pavilion with electric, and bathrooms. Although I wouldn't mind it as it's one of my favorite places to backpack.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    The Superfly is an excellent tarp. I've set mine up in the rain, and then set my hammock and stuff up underneath.
    Yeah, I just didn't want to fiddle with an unfamiliar tarp in the rain; luckily I had the dry, cozy cabin and some candlelight to play around with some new cordage I brought with me, trying some new self-tensioning systems I read about in the forums, etc. I did actually take it outside and hang it during a break in the rain, but I wasn't the least bit satisfied with my 'handiwork' or with the tiny Ti stakes I had that wouldn't stay put in the saturated ground. So it all worked out for the best...except for the bed of mouse dung, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    I doubt the MAHHA will move to SNP, with the $15 entrance fee.
    Ha...that thread title was my poor attempt at a play on words ('my heart' belongs in...).

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Mahha was great but it sure looks like you had a great time yourself! Nice pictures, thanks for posting.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flangler18 View Post
    Thanks Triptease...the trail I maintain is Upper Jeremys Run (MP 24 or so), just past Elk Wallow wayside. I just did an out and back since I was doing trail work, but there are some good loops in the area which include the AT and Neighbor Mtn. Here's a link to the 14 mile loop I'm thinking of, which could easily be stretched into a 2-3 nighter I think: http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id82.html.

And here's the link to body942's superfly setup: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=29556. The shock cord lengths were ~ 4' I think. I'm trying mitten hooks in lieu of the s-biners, but I think I'll end up going with his s-biner idea in the end.
    Thanks. That Mid-Atlantic website is great, I've never seen that before. One of my favorite spots is Hogsback Mtn (MM 21) and the Matthews Loop area. I usually do that area on overnights, but now that I have a bit of extra time I'm looking to branch out a bit.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Nice trip report, thanks for sharing. I'm glad my two cents were worth, err, two cents. Dont' brookies have the coolest fin colors?
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

• + New Posts