Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Any good sign to watch for before the weld break? I'm using some from Home Depot that are rated 200 lbs atm. I only weigh 135 lbs atm though (I'm short) so maybe it wouldn't work for the majority of people and I'm just lucky to be a tiny guy.

yeah, look at the weld. if it just looks like they pushed the 2 cut ends together perfectly and you can't really see any melted metal, then it's probably not a strong weld, but if there is a bit of a bead going around the seam (called a flare) and if it looks like the ends of the wire deformed/melted a little in the process, then it's probably going to be much stronger.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Ya it seems to be pretty well welded.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post

dave,
    the yates site does say: "Screamers are very useful in documenting maximum loads in a given situation"

it is nylon, pretty sure it's their 11/16" which is around 2500#. those things look to be 6 layers thick, so that's equivalent to around 15,000#nylon webbing as far as stretch characteristics go, and it's only 6" long. i'd guess it would stretch only a tiny fraction of what the rest of the much longer suspension would be stretching. 6 layers of 2500# nylon should stretch less than 1 layer of 2000# polyester, certainly no more. i mean you're going to get some stretch from the polyester webbing around the trees, probably alot more than the un-activated screamer. you're going to have some stretch in the suspension no matter what you use, i don't think the screamer would add any signifigant amount.
    Brandon, I think you will know how well they work for this application after you try them. Fundamentally something that stretches, like a spring loaded gauge, is not the right tool for this because the way it works can impact what it is trying to measure. My guess is the stitches are ripping out because of a controlled stretch. But you are right in that it is all relative and it may not be significant.

Along those lines, you don't want the trees you are tied off to impact things for your experiment. If they are bending then they will limit the minimum sag angle. That is a tough one to spot at times but obviously bigger is better. And the minimum sag will be at the maximum span distance. Those are one use items so you want to think through what you are doing a little more than normal.

About this 'screamer' name, is that because of the sound they make when the stitches start ripping or the sound a climber makes when they hear the seams ripping?
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post

About this 'screamer' name, is that because of the sound they make when the stitches start ripping or the sound a climber makes when they hear the seams ripping?
    supposedly it's the name the device makes as the seams rip, but you're right, it;'s probably not audible over the one coming from the climber.

good point about using bigger trees.

explain how a longer span would allow for the lowest angle, i thought the closest span would minimize total inches of stretch you got from your cordage by using as little as possible.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Thats the first thing I thought when I saw em'.

Images
    well, it's probably doubly named because a big fall is usually called a screamer as well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    That's what i was thinking when i saw it. either way it's a cool device.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...but not the new omega pacific rap rings, they're too fat and won't work i don't think.
    I'll find out this weekend.

My indoor tests, using either an anchor hitch or a clove hitch for the fixed side, indicate the Garda hitch with the Hennessey suspension line holds just fine on Omega Pacific rappel rings.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    ok, somebody said that they slipped, don't remember who. i think they were using webbing so maybe that makes a difference.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    teedee, you got to 18deg for an occupied hammock with a 3:1? that's lower than i thought possible

i'm still gonna try cinch buckles and re-tightening.

that do-hickey sounds like something i'll be buying sometime soon. so it reads the angle off horizontal? did you have to make sure the rl was true horizontal before weighting the hammock? seems like the result could get thrown off if it wasn't.
    Yes - it can read both the angle with the vertical and the horizontal.

Here is what it looks like - hmmm - I paid $6.00 in the store, but the no S&H. Use one base for angle with the horizontal and the other for the angle with the vertical. No batteries to replace either.

Horizontal rl ?? I have one of those plastic line levels on my ridge line and so it's pretty level, head slightly higher, but that doesn't matter really for the forces involved on the suspension, you are really interested in the sag angle at the tree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast