Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Condensation IN the hammock

I have an ongoing problem, at least a problem in cold weather: I SWEAT! A LOT! To the point I get condensation EVERYWHERE, to the point of it poolling in the water proof weather shield under my insulation. At least 2 tablespoons after one night Friday night. (Leaving the question: how much was IN the under quilt?). Friday it got to 10, I still woke up wet! I tried to stay as cool as possible, to no avail! I did stay cool, never let myself get truly warm, , , , ,
    To give perspective, back when I was a groundling tarp camper, I heard that "You never get condensation on a tarp cause it's too well ventilated!" I ALWAYS had condensation, with 1' gap tween the ground & the bottom of the tarp, NO DOOR(s)! Dry weather & as best I could tell, dry ground. Temps in the 70s or 80s.

So, what can I do to at least reduce getting everything wet? Back in my long distance bicycling days I had friends who sprayed antiperspirant on their feet to keep them dry in cool to cold weather. I always thought this was at least somewhat unhealthy & in my case spraying me all over would suck a lot.

I have considered a vapor barrier tween the hammock & my underquilt(s) & MAYBE the top quilt, but I have never liked the feel of sleeping on/in plastic. And even then, I would be in a pool of water, whereas now it's 2" to 3" below me, even though only separated by my damp quilt.

HELP!
    Last edited by Doctari; 02-03-2013 at 12:52.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    are you using a sock?

was your tarp pitched tight or porch mode?

What cloths were you wearing?

instead of setting up to block a breeze, you might need to set up where you get a slight breeze, even in the cold. If there is no breeze, I think that tarp needs to be in porch mode on both sides. or porch mode on the head end at least. If you are wearing more than shorts and a shirt, you might be wearing to much. When you wake up during the night, waft your quilt. you might get chilled for just a minute... but you release all of that moisture.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    The average human sweats & exhales 8oz of water per night. Drinking alcohol just before going to bed can increase the amount "night sweats"

Hammock in porch mode or have slight openings at the peak of the tarp, I would not use a vapor barrier.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I have an ongoing problem, at least a problem in cold weather: I SWEAT! A LOT! To the point I get condensation EVERYWHERE, to the point of it poolling in the water proof weather shield under my insulation. At least 2 tablespoons after one night Friday night. (Leaving the question: how much was IN the under quilt?). Friday it got to 10, I still woke up wet! I tried to stay as cool as possible, to no avail! I did stay cool, never let myself get truly warm, , , , ,
    To give perspective, back when I was a groundling tarp camper, I heard that "You never get condensation on a tarp cause it's too well ventilated!" I ALWAYS had condensation, with 1' gap tween the ground & the bottom of the tarp, NO DOOR(s)! Dry weather & as best I could tell, dry ground. Temps in the 70s or 80s.

So, what can I do to at least reduce getting everything wet? Back in my long distance bicycling days I had friends who sprayed antiperspirant on their feet to keep them dry in cool to cold weather. I always thought this was at least somewhat unhealthy & in my case spraying me all over would suck a lot.

I have considered a vapor barrier tween the hammock & my underquilt(s) & MAYBE the top quilt, but I have never liked the feel of sleeping on/in plastic. And even then, I would be in a pool of water, whereas now it's 2" to 3" below me, even though only separated by my damp quilt.

HELP!
    Do you need the weather shield? Are you still using that huge tarp? Removing it will let the UQ breath.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Doctari, if I were you I'd avoid socks, any of them.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Vapor barrier whether it's clothing or some UQ cover have to be on the "warm" side or you're going to get condensation. First time I tried my 2QZQ UQ protector in sil I got the puddle just the same. I sent it back and switched to the breathable version and the problem went away. It may not block the wind or water quite as well but I don't get the pooling either.

Images
    I think you should look into the new ShamWoW quilts stormcrow is making...

swank

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

VB The Way to Go

I'm a big sweater myself. I got tired of wet down. So, I used both the VB pant, shirt, socks & even a bag on my head. I also used a VB Bag. I was selling it here, but the thread is about to close. You can see it here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=67306

What I do, is wear a thin silk underlayer. That way you don't feel like your next to plastic. I had an easier time using the VB bag, but it's harder to get into using a hammock. I had a Hennesssy, so I got in from the bottom, pulling the bag 3/4 of the way up, and then, just sitting down.

The only reason I sold my VB gear is I can't fit into it anymore, & I had a Mod 4 Zipper done by 2QZQ.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    I'm a big sweater myself. I got tired of wet down. So, I used both the VB pant, shirt, socks & even a bag on my head. I also used a VB Bag. I was selling it here, but the thread is about to close. You can see it here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=67306

What I do, is wear a thin silk underlayer. That way you don't feel like your next to plastic. I had an easier time using the VB bag, but it's harder to get into using a hammock. I had a Hennesssy, so I got in from the bottom, pulling the bag 3/4 of the way up, and then, just sitting down.

The only reason I sold my VB gear is I can't fit into it anymore, & I had a Mod 4 Zipper done by 2QZQ.
    Vapor Barriers can be a good way to go. The way OneThing describe looks pretty appropriate. Just make sure you cover nearly your entire body with the VB (either through clothing, a bag or something similar). If you only do something on the bottom, top or leave gaps all over the place, the vapor can still escape in so many spots that it doesn't really accomplish what it needs to.

As a note on the pooling, if you have DWR treated quilts/sleeping bags, hopefully it's mostly pooling on and not inside the quilt.

You might also need to stick with some synthetic options - like what Arrowhead provides, so that if you have some condensation, the insulation isn't affected as much as down.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Vapor barrier whether it's clothing or some UQ cover have to be on the "warm" side or you're going to get condensation. First time I tried my 2QZQ UQ protector in sil I got the puddle just the same. I sent it back and switched to the breathable version and the problem went away. It may not block the wind or water quite as well but I don't get the pooling either.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post

Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Vapor Barriers can be a good way to go. The way OneThing describe looks pretty appropriate. Just make sure you cover nearly your entire body with the VB (either through clothing, a bag or something similar). If you only do something on the bottom, top or leave gaps all over the place, the vapor can still escape in so many spots that it doesn't really accomplish what it needs to.

As a note on the pooling, if you have DWR treated quilts/sleeping bags, hopefully it's mostly pooling on and not inside the quilt.

You might also need to stick with some synthetic options - like what Arrowhead provides, so that if you have some condensation, the insulation isn't affected as much as down.
    So I was scrolling down through the thread planning to (EDIT) blow every one away with a far out suggestion - VB - and a bunch of you guys have already beat me to it! Oh well.

And it does raise the question about how much (Edit) moisture is in the UQ. Weigh it sometime. Just don't forget: condensation can happen when vapor hits cold enough temps, regardless of how breathable a fabric is. Think frost bib! Way breathable, but breath condenses right on it, does not much go through. I think you might be proving this fact!

I will only add: Doctari, the breathable approach does not seem to be getting it done for you, so why not experiment with the opposite approach? At least all your sweat will stay right next to your skin where it does minimal harm. Except of course won't help with condensation from what you breath out, you'll need that frost bib for that.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-05-2013 at 21:54.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast