Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    When it comes to down bags, pay attention to the fp of the down (800 fp, 900 fp etc)
    IF the bag uses good quality down (IMO, 700+ fp), next look at the bag weight. obviously, lighter is better (and typically more $$)

WM and FF make awesome bags, but personally I could never justify their additional cost. I've owned 1 Campmor, 2 Marmot and 2 Moonstone (out-of-business) down bags with great results. Here is a link to Campmor down sleeping bag page (to get an idea) CAMPMOR Find what you want and the search the web for the best price...you can get a good, quality, light bag for less $$ than you might think

Properly maintained down equipment should last nearly a lifetime
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 01-16-2009 at 09:59. Reason: added Campmor link
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuban Hex tarp
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Campmor

If youre looking for a reasonably cheap down bag I would look into the 20* Campmor down bag. I have the expensive 20*North Face blue kazoo and compared it to a guy who had the Campmor. We were lying side by side in a shelter one time --(uggh.. never again) and we found the bags appeared to be exactly the same. You should have no real concern about keeping down dry in wet weather if you think ahead and are careful

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    You should have no real concern about keeping down dry in wet weather if you think ahead and are careful
    The oversized ziplock bags work grrrrreat to keep that wet down paranoia at a minimum.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL Zip
    Tarp
    DIY Gear Winter
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    SwissGear has come out with a 0* down bag. I saw one on ebay for about $115. Weighed 3.5 pounds.

Ebay auction # 330300299998

# From the makers of the Genuine Swiss Army Knife
    # Elite series
    # Contoured hood with drawstring for additional warmth retention
    # Insulated 5" internal shoulder collar and 3" weatherstrip for additional warmth
    # Convenient, self-repairing coil zipper with anti-snag tape and velcro tab
    # Large foot area for added comfort
    # Size: Adult, 34" x 88"
    # Temp Rating: 0 degrees Farenhite
    # Fill: 32oz. 550 FP down
    # Carry Weight: 3.5 lbs.
    # Outer: rugged, high count ripstop polyester top and bottom
    # Inner: soft, warm high count polyester
    # Includes a Compression Stuff Sack

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm also facing this dilemma now.

Here's my setup:
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight
    JRB WeatherShield2
    1/2" OCF pad (blue Wally World eggshell special)
    emergency blanket
    Marmot 40 mummy bag

I tried everything out last night. Temps probably hovered around mid 30s with a possible dip below freezing. I put the emergency blanket on top of the pad in the WS2. I slept better in the sleeping bag than I thought I would. I noticed that even with all that stuff I could still feel the cold to a degree on my back. It wasn't bad, or enough to keep me up, but that could change if we're down in the 20s as I expect. I needed my knit cap since the top of my head would get cold. I did have some ear muffs which helped. I also need to pitch the tarp even steeper. I'd get a good breeze once in a while. Fortunately I was able to hunker down in the bag and avoid most of it.

All in all I slept well. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I wasn't miserable or anything. I just need to make sure I'm really ready for lower temps. I hope to get home today to find a package with a Super Shelter so that might make a bigger difference than the WS.

I am thinking of upgrading the bag to a 40 down bag. That'll save me about a pound but give me (theoretically) the same temp coverage. Or I can go for a 30 synthetic that weighs about the same as my current bag (2.2 lbs). I can't decide which would be better, weight or temp. I'm kind of thinking weight since I'll have enough on my plate being a FL boy in the mountains but I don't want to be miserable trying to sleep either.

as far as the kelty pack ... i love kelty packs. i have one that i've been using for years and just wanted a new one and found it for less than half price. i dont know how they are making them now but i know the older ones are very well made, they are a little heavy but i'm not an ultra lite backpacker either. plus i do more then backpacking and i like the way they are set up. to each their on i guess.

so the way i take it is i need to look for a down bag 700+ or higher. i'll see what i can find, any other suggestions are welcome and thank you for the ones so far.

Hammock
    Claytor JH, Speer MS, Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Claytor, Speer cat
    Insulation
    3/8" Volara foam
    I recieved my REI 20 mummy bag today. It seems to be real nice. I haven't tried it yet. The cost for it was $45. I don't know if they have any left or not.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by irrationalsolutions View Post
    as far as the kelty pack ... i love kelty packs. i have one that i've been using for years and just wanted a new one and found it for less than half price. i dont know how they are making them now but i know the older ones are very well made, they are a little heavy but i'm not an ultra lite backpacker either. plus i do more then backpacking and i like the way they are set up. to each their on i guess.

so the way i take it is i need to look for a down bag 700+ or higher. i'll see what i can find, any other suggestions are welcome and thank you for the ones so far.
    just kick'n around and came across this...REI it would probably unzip and work well as an overquilt in your hammock...just a thought
    BTW...on a budget, 600 fill power is fine. Take what you can get and work up...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

how does the fill rating effect anything? if the bag is rated for say 20F what difference does the 600+, 700+, 900+ or what ever else matter? i dont understand, could someone please explain?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by irrationalsolutions View Post
    how does the fill rating effect anything? if the bag is rated for say 20F what difference does the 600+, 700+, 900+ or what ever else matter? i dont understand, could someone please explain?
    What keeps you warm really is trapped air, that is still within the down. The more loft (depth of air filled with down), the more insulation you have. The fill numbers describe how much volume (in cubic inches) an ounce of down naturally fills. Ultimately this translates into weight for a given loft.

Example : you want to fill 10000 cubic inches for a quilt. The amount of 900 fill down you need for that is 10000/900 = 11.1 ounces. To fill that same space with 600 fill down you need 10000/600 = 16.67 ounces .

Turn this around, for a given weight of down, the higher the fill number, the more loft and hence the more insulation.

Or yet another way, for a given level of insulation (20 degrees F in your example), the higher the fill number,
    the less down you need to get to that temperature.

Grizz