Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie

Thruhiker top quilt kit question

Has anyone here made the quilt kit from Thruhiker? They say on the website that the "kit" is just materials, no pattern or instructions and they refer you to the online instructions which look to be pretty minimal.

I like the price of the materials kit, but I'm wondering if the minimal instructions would get this newbie in over his head. Step 5 and 6 in particular are pretty sketchy for me. I'm not quite sure how they're telling me to attach the foot box to the quilt and where in the foot box the baffle needs to be.

My wife is a fine seamstress who has made several wedding dresses. I'm sure I can get her to help me. But I want to see if I can do this myself with her guidance rather than simply asking her to do it for me.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    although i have not made the quilt, it sounds like you have a fine resource there in your wife,why not let her take the lead and absorb all the knowledge you can from her.
    i'm sure it would be much less frustrating for you this way and you will gain knowledge and end up with a better end result.
    then go solo on the next quilt[s]

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I made a quilt using Jeremy Padget's instructions on thru hiker's website. I did make a modification though. Instead of doing a foot box, I cut the quilt a bit longer and put a drawstring closure at the foot end. This allows for better venting options and gives my size 13 4E feet a bit more room.

I found the instructions pretty easy to follow, but working with down was a bit of a nightmare. I made this quilt back in the day when there were very few options for getting one made for me. Now, for the difference in cost, I would probably look at Enlightened Equipment or one of the many other quilt makers.... I dont really have much desire to work with down again.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch
    ThruHikers "Kit" is Just the materials and you use Jeremy Padget's instructions..However, there are Many ways to make a quilt and Footbox. I've personally found the instructions/threads in HammockForums to be Far More Helpful..and members here are more than willing to share information.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    I made the RayWay top quilt - works great and includes everything you need.
    http://www.rayjardine.com/index.shtml

Sky
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Okay, I am an experienced seamstress, I made my childrens clothing, shirts for my husband, my own outdoor gear, back in the 60's, when it was very difficult to find affordable, durable gear. Pre Columbia Sportsware.

I would suggest you make your project on your own. Just go slowly. You could make a doll quilt first. That would give you a boost on the learning curve. That way you practice on sewing in a straight line, with slippery fabric, you would gain knowledge on how things fit together. It saves a lot of pulling out bad stitches. If you are cutting out fabric, a test quilt would also help save booboos. If you have a little kid in your family a doll quilt would be a valuable item to a child or someone who is cold a lot. Doll quilt could also be a lap-robe.

I just like doing my own gear, sure I could buy it, however if I make it, I like it better, plus I make it to fit me, I am short, most things are too long for me, which is a waste of $, weight and function. I also fix things up so they are a little warmer over my hip area.

Look around HF for suggestions, down is a mess if it is not handled properly. I found some excellent ideas on how to tame the handling of down. Way back when I would get the down wet to handle it, now on HF I found a much easier way to manage down. Complete with a video.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Straight seams are over rated. Always remember that wavy disjointed seams confuse the bears.

• + New Posts