Using PeaPod as UQ

I have a HHUExplorer with the #2 zipper mod (thanks 2Q+ZQ!). I also have the HHSS and a Speer PeaPod 30* model. What I was thinking about doing was to use the PP as an UQ inside the UC. I have it setup in the backyard and using a 20* synthetic sleeping bag, I was able to get in and was quite comfortable. After about an hour I thought I should get out and check the UC to make sure it wasn't too tight and compressing the down. I did have to loosen it up all the way and will give that another try. The PP is certainly long enough and plenty wide enough for this application. I could sew on some tabs and run the side elastics through them to keep the PP spread open when getting in and out.

Anyone see anything wrong with this? Seems to work OK. It'll be in the 20s tonight so will give it the real test later on.

I was able to get in the hammock, climb into and fully zip up the mummy bag pretty easily. Seems much easier when there is no pad in there.

If I decided to use the UP, ,should it go beneath the PP or over? Or would it not matter? Condensation issues maybe?

Images
    I would indeed expect some compression of the down from the UC, but you may still have enough loft for a significant help. Yesterday I had my WBUQ in there, and the CS was compressed a bit. I would say that at the most compressed point, I had about a 50% loss of loft. Other places it was more fully lofted. Unless you figure out some approach like kwpapke is using- with an Exped multimat in the UC, which apparently causes just enough gap for something like the PeaPod to fill without much compression? But you better have some kind of vapor barrier ( like the space blanket or heat sheet) or that down will end up soaked from condensation.

The UP and space blanket( vapor barrier) should be first against your back.

The PeaPod would probably work OK as a giant UQ surrounding the SS. But will this zipper mod allow you to get the net completely over to the side? If so, why not just use the PeaPod as designed, completely surrounding the hammock, or the hammock and sb/up, or surrounding all of the above and the SS UC/UP/SB? Or just forget about the SS and use the PeaPod as designed, stuffing some clothing you are not wearing to bed down into it, or a pad, or add a space blanket, or all of the above- to GREATLY boost it's bottom rating?

Looks like you have some fun experimenting to do!

I kind of like bugnet to be on there as it helps keep the air a bit warmer. What I will try though is to use the heatsheet and not tie out the side elastics. Also, the end elastics for the UC will be unhooked so that the UC will be somewhat free to move if it needs to. That might keep the compression of the PP I would think. I went back out there this afternoon and took about a 45 minute nap. I was snug as a bug in a rug.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    I kind of like bugnet to be on there as it helps keep the air a bit warmer. What I will try though is to use the heatsheet and not tie out the side elastics. Also, the end elastics for the UC will be unhooked so that the UC will be somewhat free to move if it needs to. That might keep the compression of the PP I would think. I went back out there this afternoon and took about a 45 minute nap. I was snug as a bug in a rug.
    Sounds good! So you had the PeaPod INSIDE the UC, between the UC and the HH pad? Maybe I should try that! But if I had the zipper mod, I would just use the pod closed over the top, which should be a lot warmer than the extra heat I would get from the bug net. But, an UQ pod approach would give you a more "open" experience, might be more pleasant over all.

I didn't use the HH pad. Just the UC, the PP, heatsheet and then the hammock. The reason for not taking it over the top and the reason for using an HH is that I really like the wide, flat and open feeling of the HH Explorer. I'll bet the UQ would really add some warmth to that whole setup. I will take that with me to Mt Rogers and give it a try.

I slept in this setup last night and was warm and toasty all night.

Images
    Sounds like you have found something that is working good for you! As long as you keep a VB (heatsheet, etc) between you and the PP/UC, you should be fine, otherwise condensation will probably be a major problem. I need to check out your approach of not suspending the UC, and see how much that prevents down compression. How cold was it for your test sleep?

It got down to about 28 last night. Not real cold. After I was in the hammock, I unzipped the bugnet to see how loose the PeaPod was and I could easily move it around, so there wasn't any compression. Now, I thinking I may remove the velcro and install shock cords and the tieouts on the PeaPod. Also thinking about doing up a custom made heatsheet similar to the shape of the underpad.

• + New Posts