custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

longer UQs

hypothesis...

If you have a longer UQ, then you should be able to cinch it up more on either end, much like a peapod, without affecting your lay too much, right?

I've been thinking about getting a full length one and I'm wondering if a long one might be better in terms coverage in a long hammock like the BIAS? I'm 5'10" so technically I don't need the length, but I wonder if the added length means being able to cinch the ends more and still be nice and flat in between?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i'm 5'10" and use the full length. I'm a gram weenie, but its worth the extra weight in my opinion. seals up better, feet stay warm and I don't carry any other padding. just the quilt. you will be nice and flat

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

Triangle thingies

Cinch the quilt ends to however they fit best for when you are in the hammock. Since some cinching is good, are you sure that more is always better? Note that those using short quilts are not looking to tighten the ends of their quilts.

Some of that tight cinching may be left over from using hammocks without ridgelines. Then the UQ's horizontal tightness was what held it up against the hammock.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i think the OP sees what i see --- and that extending a UQ up to near the ends of the hammock creates efficiency. you are shrinking the closure required on the ends. even if its minimally insulated, or not at all --- you are creating a solid seal across the entire length of the hammock.

i'd like a UQ that is built with the dims of the of the speer peapod, but chop off the top "pod" portion, so it is essentially just a super long UQ, shaped like a football. perhaps it would have "hoods" on the ends too, to fully wrap over the top of the hammock at the ends, maybe 1' from each of whipping side. hmm, maybe perpendicular baffle walls outside of 72" along the center , allowing a differential fill amount at the head / foot end. any custom UQ designers listening?! i'm a great test subject stormcrow, jacks, ugq, leigh, tewa......echoooooooo)))))))))))

that's my theory and i'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by rip waverly; 02-04-2013 at 22:51.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Exactly Rip! If you get some distance between your feet and the end of the UQ, you leave enough room for the quilt to efficiently form around the gathered end of the hammock, instead of conforming to your lay - as 'heyyou' pointed out with shorter quilts where you don't want to cinch as much if any.

Now, I'm asking you guys out there because I don't know. I have a short quilt and I'm wondering about getting a full one, and more specifically wondering if it isn't worthwhile to get a 'long' version UQ - perhaps instead of a draft collar.

Just watched a video of an UGQ review and noticed the little clips along the sides down the length of the quilt - must have been a dozen of them, 6 a side (guess I could go back and watch and count?)... the reviewer noted how the quilt came up high on the sides of the hammock, and I guess with those clips, you could make essentiall a peapod type of wrap with the UQ. Rip - that gets you closer to what you're talking about, right?

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    I will watch that video, and see if it aligns with my thinking.

As far as the modified pod, imagine a kayak. One entrance hole carved out of the top,,,,apply this to an insulated UQ.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts