Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brushybill View Post
    i had a lost hunting dog take off with one of my moccasins one night.
    i was not happy.
    i still just put them under the tarp though, some people never learn, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    One night I went to get up to relieve myself and realized my boots were not where I put them, I found them and put them back next to my hammock and heard something a few minutes later and it was a little raccoon trying to take off with them. I finally scared him off but had I not realized what was going on I could have lost one of my Asolo boots which would have been bad.
    See, it's not just paranoia!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    In my old HH with the birth canal, I had a biner attached to the bottom of the opening and I would tie the laces together and they would free hang right where I needed them and always off the ground.
    I've done that a lot also. In the Rockies, I have had porcupines or other creatures tear up a friends pack shoulder straps getting at the salt from sweat, and I have heard of similar things happening to boots.

How would you like to be a 15 or 20 mile hike in from your car and have one of your boots disappear or be damaged? Concern about this is why I did pretty much the same thing as Lorax on my first trip with a hammock, which was a bottom entry HH with Super Shelter. But I had a thin line coming down from near the end of the RL, and I would haul the boots up to the RL just inside the hammock. But sometime I just take the chance, and they are out side on the ground.

PS:
    A coincidence: right after I posted about the Porcupines, I went to the thread about the alpine hammock kickstart, and saw this picture of the pass above where the PPs gave us so much trouble, on both sides of the pass down in the trees! ( scroll down to 3rd picture)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...alpine-hammock
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-05-2013 at 11:52.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    BW webbing
    I hang my riding boots on the bike upside down to air out and dry. My camp shoes I set on my camp chair under the tarp so i can reach then from my hammock.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    Black Cat
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I usually do not hang my shoes, but this one time I had to. A bunch of us were hiking in the Huallaga canyon in the upper Amazon of Peru. We set up our hammocks and went down to the river to eat. One of us came back to the camping area and a bunch of leaf cutter ants were chomping down on our shoes and the cords. We hung our shoes and sprayed the trunks of the trees with some DEET. Didn't have any issues after that.

Dave

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Been putting my shoes underneath my hammock for years. Only had a problem once, a really big hairy spider took up residence in one of my shoes. Fortunately, she (I'm guessing here, but in the spider world, the females are usually much bigger than the males) was more scared of me than I was of her. I also remember someone telling me a female mouse got into his boot and had babies during the night. Make sure you check the insides of your shoes or boots before you put them on!

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivalStudent View Post
    I push two sticks into the ground to finish about the same height as my hammock when im in it, then put a shoe/boot on each.. keept them handy, off the ground and beasty free.. also allows them to dry over night.
    THis is what we do. Keeps them upside down so rain and debris dont get blown in. Easy to shake to get the scorpions, spiders, and other critters out.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SurvivalStudent View Post
    I push two sticks into the ground to finish about the same height as my hammock when im in it, then put a shoe/boot on each.. keept them handy, off the ground and beasty free.. also allows them to dry over night.
    I like that idea

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345