Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Arrow FL>CSF>Jacksonville>Mar 22-24 2013 - First Annual - "Bold City" Hang!!!

Who:
    You, of course! Well actually, you, me, her, him, it, and them - oh! and a bunch of those folks over there too...

What:
    The First Annual "Bold City" Hang!!!

When:
    March 22-25 2013 (edit: updated ending date)

Where:
    Cary State Forest, Jacksonville, FL (no, really its in Bryceville, but who's counting...) -
    7465 Pavilion Road Bryceville, Florida 32009

How:
    Take I-10 to the Baldwin/US 301 exit. From the exit at I-10, go north on US 301 through Baldwin to Bryceville. The entrance to Cary State Forest is on the east side of US 301, ¼ mile north of the Bryceville Fire Department.

The entrance is marked with a brown and yellow Department of Agriculture sign with a green and yellow Division of Forestry Shield hanging below it. Drive down the white lime rock lane to the parking area and kiosk

Why:
    Seriously... you have to ask? Well, I guess you'll just have to come to find out...

Food:
    Since this is our first try at this thing, lets plan on just one Co-Op meal (Saturday night?).
    Still undecided what it will/should be, but probably B.Y.O._. (in all forms!). It will probably be something that we can whip together nicely on a few Coleman stoves and a campfire.

Sign-Up:
    ~ Attendance ~ (must have link to edit!!!):
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&usp=sharing <-- Please sign up as soon as you can - I still have to meet with the land managers to secure enough space for what we need, and I'll need to know now much we will need. So please sign up - pretty please!!! (Thanks!)

~ Food / Supplies ~ (must have link to edit!!!)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&usp=sharing

Cost:
    $10 Per Person ~ $30 Per Family (if you have more than 3 members present)
    This will address all camp fees & permits, it will also help supplement firewood and the food for Saturday night.
    Please make this donation via PayPal (please PM me for account info).
    Please put your HF Username in the notes and update the spreadsheet!
    Last edited by WetRivrRat; 02-05-2013 at 21:24. Reason: updated ending date

Cary State Forest has:
    *Hot Showers
    *Proper toilet facilities
    *Fire pits at each site
    *Ample parking
    **And MOST importantly ... Just enough trees to fit our needs
    Check it out here and here:

Food:
    Maybe something like Taco Salads or something like that - correction "Naked Burritos"...
    Maybe we can do it in such a manner that it covers all the basis, Beef, Chicken, & Tofu (as three separate selections) [please let me know if you have any food allergies, I will do my best to make sure we accommodate as best as possible]

Personally, I think I'm a good cook, but RunnerGirl is always telling me that Pop-Tarts in the Microwave ain't cooking... she just don't know what she's a missin...
    So, if you're comfortable in the (camp) kitchen let us know so we can help put that talent to good purpose
    But seriously though, if you have something that you're willing to bring to help facilitate easier/better food prep, please let me know (asap, please ) so we can make any necessary adjustments/arrangements.

Additional Info:
    Did I mention HOT SHOWERS??? Well, just in case I didn't there's Hot Showers, Proper bathroom facilities (including Mirrors) ~ It's my understanding that a lot of the ladies prefer these sort of amenities

This is absolutely a open to kids (2 & 4 legged kind) - if they're 4 legged ones, just please be sure to have a leash available

From the I-10/I-95 interchange, times is estimated

Park: Distance: Time:
    Cary SF. - 21.7 - 29
    Last edited by WetRivrRat; 02-05-2013 at 21:39. Reason: Added info about kids [of all kinds]
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Well, I can make it up on Sunday, but not Saturday (I've already taken two weekends off, this month and last month). Is it likely to still be going on Sunday evening? The initial thread indicated that it might, but the dates on this one don't.

Thanks in advance!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    {...} Is it likely to still be going on Sunday evening? The initial thread indicated that it might, but the dates on this one don't.{...}
    Yah, I did mean for it to through Monday - updated the dates to show that
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    Yah, I did mean for it to through Monday - updated the dates to show that
    Thanks!

Also, as a cross post from the other thread, I looked at Google Maps, and it seems that the bike lane on 301 disappears north of Baldwin (which matches my memory of the single time I drove that section of 301). Does anyone know a good route from Baldwin to the forest that doesn't involve heavy traffic and/or has a bike lane, one that won't take me twenty miles out of the way?

If not, I can wrangle the car for that weekend. But I would like to try the ride up, if doable (it's a good, solid ~60-miler); seeing more of north FL at twelve mph is always fun...
    --Floridahanger

Not sure about any alternate routes in that area - However I do know for sure though that there isn't a bike lane on 301 by the entrance - There's some massive construction going on -
    No matter though, if you need a lift from where the lane ends just let me know and I'll be sure to throw the rack on the truck for the weekend and come pick you up when you get there
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    Not sure about any alternate routes in that area - However I do know for sure though that there isn't a bike lane on 301 by the entrance - There's some massive construction going on -
    No matter though, if you need a lift from where the lane ends just let me know and I'll be sure to throw the rack on the truck for the weekend and come pick you up when you get there
    Thanks for the offer! I'll see what I can wrangle as far as alternate routes go, first, though. We'll see if my Google-fu is strong enough...
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    May the Farce be with y'all. Hate to miss the first local hang but I have to re-cert on the chainsaw or the USFS says I can't chop up any trees. If it gets cancelled I'll hang with ya.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Hate to miss the first local hang but I have to re-cert on the chainsaw or the USFS says I can't chop up any trees. If it gets cancelled I'll hang with ya.

<making frantic phone calls...>

No worries - it'll be canceled...

dagnabit... Your trees are going to be lonely...
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Spear
    Tarp
    Integral Silponch
    Insulation
    thermocell pad
    Suspension
    Spear straps
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    May the Farce be with y'all. Hate to miss the first local hang but I have to re-cert on the chainsaw or the USFS says I can't chop up any trees. If it gets cancelled I'll hang with ya.
    Cary tell them stinking feds they can chop up there own trees, Osceola is the only place you will need it. Mine ran out in jan and I wont be rectifying.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast