Images

Hilleberg Tent vs HH with JRB quilts

This is part 1 of a 2 part review

Hilleberg Soulo
    I recently took delivery of a Hilleberg Soulo (thanks Quoddy http://cache.backpackinglight.com/ba...8258_04256.jpg) and tried it out in the backyard last night. The forecast was for a low between 11* and 18*, with wind gusts of 10-15 mph, and clear skies. I used two Ridgerest type pads and a WM Alpinlite 20* bag. I wore a long sleeve shirt, pants, and fleece hat. Needless to say, I was warm.

I woke up at 2:30 am and checked a few temperatures with my digital thermometer (accuracy +/- 0.2*)

The temperature inside the tent was 34.x deg
    The temperature in the vestibule was 29.x deg
    The temperature outside the tent on the ground was 25.x deg
    The temperature outside at ~6 ft up was 20.x deg
    The thermometer recorded a low of 17.4*.

The delta between inside the tent and the outside was quite impressive.

I did have some condensation inside the tent; and on my hat that froze before I'd walked 20 feet from the tent.

I wish there was some snow to try it's snow load abilities

I plan to hang in my HH UL BP with JRB quilt(s) / & bag tonight. I am hoping the temp drops below 18* so I can beat my personal low.
    Last edited by Egads; 01-17-2009 at 07:32.

I ain't lying man, I love my hammock but I'm envious of that tent.

Images
    Part 2 - Hennessey
    I set up my hammock in the dark. It took me at least twice as long to set up as Hilleberg Soulo. I used a HH UL BP, a MacCat standard tarp set up low and tight, JRB RMS underquilt, with a JRB nest under the RMS. I crossed the carabiners on the nest to cinch it up and eliminate air gaps. I used a Mont Bell UL SSDH #0 over me like a quilt. It lofted so much that it nearly touched the ridgeline. I wore the same clothes as the night before.

The weather forecast was similar to the night before, except lighter wind and low level clouds that were expected to dissipate before morning.

I slept warm. My sleep was much better quality, deeper and for longer durations between stirring. I really could have gone much lower with this set up. But, packing this much down would require over compressing or a much larger pack than I would use. My ULA Catalyst is 75 liter and could carry the down, but not much else.

The overnight low temp was 14.4*. Woo hoo, a new low hang by 4*. The temp inside the hammock at the ridgeline was 21.8*. I was surprised at the delta T of 7* between inside and outside the hammock. But this does not compare with the delta of the Hilleberg.

There is no argument from me that a properly set up hammock in most conditions is much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground in a tent. However, I'd take the Hilleberg over the Hennessy if my life was at stake in severe winter conditions.
    Last edited by Egads; 01-17-2009 at 10:59.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Do you still use the Hennesey lashing when you set your hammock up? I've found that, even after only a few times setting it up, I've gotten faster with my hammock than I am with my smallest tent. However, I don't use an underquilt, and I use ring buckles with carabiners for the suspension, which is pretty dang quick.

Images
    Yes, and I always need to retie one end after I sit in it & stretch it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I've taken to prestressing the first lashing before tying the second. That way I have better control on the sag. Lash the first end to the tree, grab the rope, pull as hard as you can. There's not much tightening left in the lashing after that.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Gordon you should have headed to Brasstown Bald (highest point in Georgia). I heard the predicted temps were gonna be -5 or less. I wish I could have gone.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I had been using the stock webbing on a Claytor No Net, tied the way they recommended with 2 half hitches( is that the right name of these knots?). So I finally wondered why I could not use this with my HH? So I tried it - no apparent problems so far, and much faster. So I just go through the webbing or carabiner in the normal fashion, but just one time, just whatever it takes to hold some tension. Then I "slippery" half hitch with a bite ( is that the only kind of half hitch?). Anyway, so far, so good, and much faster tie or untie.

I never have to readjust anymore, after sitting in it. Unless I just hang too high or too low to start with, I'm good to go once I get in. I don't know if this is because everything is all stretched out after a couple of years, or because I tend to attache high on the tree and not pull all that tight, resulting in less sag, or both. Whatever, I rarely have to untie and readjust, but if I do it will go faster with this knot. Can anybody think of any reason I should not use this knot instead of the HH lashing? Reduced strength or anything?

Don't mean to hijack, but if you are having to readjust, you might find this faster.

• + New Posts