HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner

KC Area Winter Hang Report

Well, had a good turn out of folks show up out at the Woodridge Public Use Area just west of Clinton Lake again this past weekend (Feb 1-3).

I got onsite at about 1:30 on Friday afternoon, saw one truck but no people. Went ahead and setup my hammock, got my gear in order there at the trailhead, and Ramenshaman comes walking up outta the woods from where he'd setup about 100 meters or so down a path. Weather was about 24F and cloudy, so it was cool but bearable...still had some snow on the ground from earlier in the week.

Dudorino came in about 4:30 or so, and we sat down and had dinner, thinking we were the only ones going to make it on Friday.

About 9:30pm or so, Hoot, Radiohead, and Trailboss (Radiohead's daughter) arrived onsite. We ended up sitting around the fire and talking til about 2am before the last of us finally stumbled off to our hammocks. The thermometer says it only got down to around 22-24, but it felt colder...LOL!

Got up on Saturday to a pretty warm day...the ice on the trails started to melt, turning them into slush. Hoot/Radiohead/Trailboss were awesome enough to provide us with breakfast...tons of eggs and bacon!!! Over the course of the day, 1066vik, Fugahwee, and Kerflop rolled in, along with a HF "lurker" (yes, we have those!) who opted to come out and visit as well (Hey Don...pull up a chair and join us!).

Dinner Saturday night was potluck. Kerflop made an awesome dish of fried potatos, onions, and kielbasa style sausage, and Dudorino did up a 15 bean soup that was TASTY!!! I got a late start on my potato soup, but folks didn't seem to mind. For dessert, Ramenshaman whipped out some cherry cheesecakes, and Fugahwee dropped down a tangy strawberry/ruhbarb pie.

Bedtime came early for most of us...I slept like a LOG.

Sunday we broke camp slowly, with Kerflop needing to break out pretty early, and Ramenshaman and I going on a cool hike out to the hilltop in the middle of the grounds. Found me an awesome spot to hang a hammock solo sometime...and we left lots of firewood for the next folks to come in behind us.

Thanks again everyone for coming out...really enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting some new ones. (Watch for a "KC Hangers" FB page to be coming up soon!).

(Wanted to add...working on editing some video from the trip...will post it once I've got it complete)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    Yep, Was a Dang Good Time out there!
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Not a lot to add. Bit it was great conversation, great food and a great time. Here is a pic of my setup for the weekend. My new Hammock Gear Cuben tarp in Camo, Blackbird hammock wrapped in the Burrito Oven and a Kiss As quilt from AOE.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360083891.811260.jpg

And thanks to Vic for the reflectix. My butt was bet thankful

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Had a great time. I failed at taking alot of pics, but heres some.

Kerflop and Owl

Some of us down the hill in the thick of it.

Dudurino and Hoot enjoyed the fact I wrapped my tree strap around poisin ivy. So thats what poisin ivy vine looks like :^(

Ramen made 3 wicked cheesecakes with graham cracker crust. Two were gone in 20mins, there was'nt that many of us.
    Last edited by fuhgawee; 02-05-2013 at 12:14.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    That's me, in my PJs... Sorry I had to bug out early. Super Bowl Sunday party and I was on task to do some cooking.

Good folks, good food, good time!
    didn't take any pics.
    Was home, unpacked, showered, and laundry started by 1 - so SWMBO wasn't even unhappy at me.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    I had a great time. A big thank you to everyone who made it out. It was great seeing familiar faces, and meeting new friends. A special big thanks to Owl for organizing the hang; Dudorino for making the trek down from NE; and Trail Boss for keeping everyone in line, especially Owl.

After taking a little hike Sunday morning with Owl, and then saying adieu, I chose to enjoy the warm weather (50's) and change-out my figure-9's for prusiks on all my tie-outs (Thanks Dude!).

The Hang continues:

Since I already had Monday off (and new prusiks to test) I made up my mind to stay Sunday night. I mustered up the courage to call the little lady to "inform her" of my "decision". (I suspect it is in my near future to "enjoy" a marathon of 'The Real Housewives of..." or "Sexy in the City" (oh, joy!)

It was worth it. Sunday night the air was crisp and mostly clear. The temperature dropped down into the upper 30's, and the wind was light with the occasional gust.

I made a small campfire at the 'love shack' fire ring, made some hickory smoked tuna [ramen] noodle and a tall mug of hot spiced cider. I sat back and enjoyed the sounds of the forest and the warm crackle of the fire.

Sometime around 8 or 9 pm, the band coyotes made their regular appearance; howling, yelping, and bickering. They appeared to pretty [expletive deleted] close, possibly skirting about the trail-head scavenging. They settled down after a bit, and I did as well a bit later...for a bit.

About an hour later, I heard quite of bit of rustling down in the coulee behind my hammock. The sound was that of a slow and methodical approach. Still thinking about coyotes, my nerves were definitely being tested. I'd shine my headlamp down the hill and the rustling would stop. A few second later I'd hear the cracking of dried leaves, the snap of a stick, I shined my light, see nothing, and the sound would stop.

The sound was getting closer. It seemed to be making a bee-line straight towards me. What ever it was, it sounded big. This went on for while until the sound became unnervingly close. I decided it was time to make a stand. I armed myself (with the fire-poker 1066vik had carved--about 2' long and the thickness of my thumb), and made my way downhill to meet the man-eating coyote, Bigfoot, chupacabra, or whatever hideous beast that was stalking me.

I walked about 20 feet down hill when all of the sudden I saw two glowing eyes about 30 feet away, hungrily staring back at me from behind the base of a tree. I knew I was done-for. I trained the beam of light on the glowing eyes to see the face of the beast that would surely devour me. Out from behind the tree came the littlest lone-opossum I have seen. After sizing me up and taking a moment to chuckle at me, the little fella waddled across the crest of the hill, mocking me the whole way. I got a pretty good chuckle out of the ordeal myself.

Not too much later, the day was laying heavy on my eyelids, I boiled some water for a nalgene bottle to keep me warm, and bedded down for the night.

I crashed hard. I woke once in the middle of the night to answer the call of nature, and was soon back in the warmth of my hammock and lala land.

I woke up about 09:00-- refreshed. I made some coffee and enjoyed some hot oatmeal with pomegranate infused craisins.

After a morning walk down to the lake, it was time to pack up. Not a second too soon. The wind began to pick up, and off in the distance I could hear sirens. Listening closely, I determined it wasn't emergency vehicles.

"Wait a second, that sounds like a tornado warning siren."

Tornadoes in February? Stranger things have happened in Kansas.

I checked my weather radio only to find my batteries were dead. Instead of changing them out, I decide it best to beat feet and skedaddle.

In retrospect, I am pretty sure it was probably just the USACE warning siren, used when they open the spillway at the dam.

Driving home, I found myself in the middle of a manhunt. KS Highway patrol vehicles at every on-ramp/off-ramp, and helicopters circling. (Honest, I swear they weren't looking for me.) It was apparently a police chase which originated in Missouri.

All in all a great weekend. I am looking forward to the next time.
    Last edited by RamenShamen; 02-06-2013 at 10:59.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    LOL RamenShamen

Great Report for the Additional Night. Well, after the Horror Story about the Raccoon I guess a Possum was a welcome sight. But, I think I need to pass along a small defensive tool to you. Will be sure to bring it next time we meet.

In case people are Wondering Exactly who Trail Boss is.... That would be RadioHead's 11 year old Daughter.

She is for sure a tough little chic with an Air of Authority about her. Not like most kids these days and for sure determined to be independent and succeed.

I can honestly say she earned her trail name with honors and left with the respect of all who attended.

As for the food on that trip.... I had some of that Grub Kerflop Cooked up Sat Night Hoot Style for Dinner Last night. The wife had an odd Look on her face when I started Chopping Tators, Onions, Peppers and Sausage. But she Loved it!
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Good for you Ramen, wished I could have stayed another night. Heck you're all set up, ya dont want to leave now.

Different mind set when you're hanging alone in the woods. The imagination runs amuk. I can relate, similar thoughts and event when I was up hanging alone at Indian Cave Springs.

I'm ready for another hang

• + New Posts