Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Batona Winter Gear Test

Being as I doubt I’ll be able to attend the group camp at Batona, I decided to go there myself and do a cold weather gear test, since I have my Colorado trip planned for later this year. I had all my gear thrown in my truck, but typically, it wasn’t well organized. Due to work and family, I didn’t get as good of a jump in the morning as I had hoped.

I stopped at the Batsto Office to get my camping permit, and was on my way.

I had brought some firewood, but between the office (by their directions) and Batona Camp, there were several places with stacked wood offered for sale. I didn’t stop, so I’m not sure if they are open for business during this off season time. As I’ve never been to Batona Campground, I was a little unsure of where I was going. The Office did give fairly good printed directions.

Following their directions, I made it to the Carranza Memorial.

The turn into the camping area is on the right, a short bit before the memorial. There isn’t much to let you know you’ve arrived on site. There is one Batona sign, two out houses, and one water pump. No picnic tables and no metal fire rings, just the remains of old fires, and unfortunately evidence of other less than ethical campers.

With my late start, I didn’t have much light left to set up camp.

I had the best intentions to take photos of each stage of my set up, but cold, fading light and general forgetfulness conspired to make me fail. I started with my 12 X 12 Sportsman’s Guide ‘Neo’ tarp in my home made black mesh one piece skin.

Of course, I forgot to take a photo of my Clark NA set up. (I use the Neo tarp, and keep the smaller stock tarp as a stand by)

When the sun was down, but I still had a bit of light, I heard voices. You’d think that with 25º on a January Wednesday night, I’d have had the place to my self, but it wasn’t to be. Two hikers doing the Batona Trail started to set up camp near by. I hadn’t noticed, but they had left tarp covered fire wood there before they started their hike. It turns out, one was a reporter with the Courier Post, and he was doing an article on winter camping. After introductions, I left them to make their camp. They later stopped by to share my fire and we talked for a bit.

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/i...batona-tonite/
    A full story on winter camping is supposed to be in the Courier Post on Sunday, January 25th.

They seemed interested in the hammock set up and Kevin, the reporter, asked questions about gear and winter camping. His partner Don is a manager at the Marlton REI. He was Kevin’s unofficial guide on their trek.

This is how I was set up:

12 X 12 Neo tarp
    Clark NA
    Cheap blue pad inside hammock
    Zero degree synthetic bag
    Bass Pro Red Head top & bottom under layer (think Under Armor)
    Polypro bottoms
    Fleece pants
    Wood sox (one pair)
    3 layers on top, fleece
    Wool hat

That night by the fire, and the next morning, it was 25º. Wind was calm.

While talking fireside, we weren’t ever cold. After they turned in for the night, and I waited till my fire had died down, I started to get cold. I turned in, and have to say I didn’t sleep very well, but not due to cold.

I’m not much of a camper, and I still need to learn to relax and just sleep instead of listening for the approach of coyotes, bears, Bigfoot or the Jersey Devil. If I had just walked 18 miles like my neighbors did, I bet I’d have slept better.

While never uncomfortably cold, my feet were a little chilly. I meant to try the hot water bottle method, but didn’t get a Klean Canteen yet, and didn’t want to trust a Gatorade bottle, leak wise.

I woke right at dawn, and got up to see my new friends off on the next leg of their journey. As we chatted and they struck camp, it started to snow. Very nice. After they were gone, I took a walk around, and got some photos. It was during this walk I policed up the trash that other losers had left behind:

(assembled under my tarp for the photo: 3 plastic bottles, two fireworks boxes, two candy bags, one broken lighter, one box of Graham Crackers {1/2 full}, and one empty Colman Fuel container).

My JetBoil didn’t want to light. I could have used something else to spark it, but I used my Trail Stove instead. I’m sure it wasn’t as efficient as the JB, but more reliable as it turns out. After I lit my Trail Stove, the JB did light once, but when I added water to use it, it again failed to light, and I gave up. I’ll have to work in it.

Since I once again planned a trip having to work the next evening, I was packed and on my way by 10:30. This seems like a good place to stage out from to visit other near-by attractions. There are canoe options, and several trails to walk around on. I did see some deer on the drive in, and have no doubt if you bring binoculars it would be worth it.

As I told my unexpected guests, I was somewhat disappointed that I didn’t have the solitude I expected, but have to admit they were good company. You’d think a vegetarian (Don) and a bow hunter (me) sharing the same fire might result in some controversy, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Funny how people with good manners can have a civilized discussion.

Over all I liked this place, but if I failed this past Wednesday to be alone, I doubt I’ll have much of a chance to summer camp there and be alone with my son. I’m sure you could walk a bit and make a stealth camp if you wanted to. At least four times vehicles rode by in the dark, but since they never stopped I wasn’t sure if it was park police or private citizens.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad the cold hanging worked out well for you. You will adapt to "night sounds" ... every night gets easier.
    Good job on hauling out that trash. It still gets me that people leave all that after they tote it in. I commend you.
    Be ever vigilant!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Article as it ran in the paper.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post

Wood sox (one pair)
    What kind of wood were they made from? Aren't they are little stiff and heavy?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

--Kurt

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    That night by the fire, and the next morning, it was 25º.
    My JetBoil didn’t want to light. I could have used something else to spark it, but I used my Trail Stove instead. I’m sure it wasn’t as efficient as the JB, but more reliable as it turns out. After I lit my Trail Stove, the JB did light once, but when I added water to use it, it again failed to light, and I gave up. I’ll have to work in it.
    That's typical of a JB (or any canister stove) at those temps. The pressure drops due to the cold, so it seems like the igniter isn't working, but its really just the lack of gas pressure.

That's why JB came out with the Helios this year. You either have to switch to something other than canister, or move to a system where the canister is inverted such as the Helios.

--Kurt

• + New Posts