Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps

The under thingy...to keep my butt warm.

Hi Folks,

I'm old, but new here. My sole experience with hammocks is using them in a little fracas we had in South East Asia almost 40 years ago. They worked great to keep bugs, leaches and snakes out of your bed, but the problem then was mostly keeping dry and cool...not warm.

I plan to be a hanger on motorcycle trips and canoe trips, mostly on the right coast...maybe into Canada some too. This will be mostly April thru November so we're not talking real cold weather for the most part. Weight is not a factor in equipment selection...within reason since I won't be carrying it far from the bike or canoe.

I just ordered a HH Safari Deluxe which I have not recieved yet and am wondering if I can use a twin size down quilt folded in half as an undercover? I'm not sure what I might need to keep it in place yet, but the size I saw in SPortsman's Guide was 58" wide so I'm thinking it will work folded in half. Maybe a full size would give more down on the job, but I'm concerned about keeping it in place. At this point I am very ill informed, but reading here seems to be the answer to many of my questions. Hopefully, it will come together when I the hammock and play with it.

I almost bought the HH super shelter, but was confused about how it works, so I guess once I get the hammock, I can figure out if I need it or can use another method of keeping my butt warm.

I am still confused about this idea of laying on a diagonal and how that will work with the undercover/quilt....maybe that will shake out when I get the hammock and play with it a bit.

You folks have great forum here and thanks for having me!!

Joe

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    hey Joe and welcome to HF. My wish is to answer your questions: (since apparenty, Im the first one up this morning ) I think you will soon understand the diagonal lay, as the HH is an assymetrical hammock. What this means is when you get inside your legs will tend to slide over to the right - and then the mystery is solved. It will allow you to lay flatter. Now, I would suggest you take a look at the JacksrBetter website, specifically the Nest Underquilt. Do you see the slit in the underquilt (UQ) that mates perfectly to the Hennessy?
    I suggest this quilt for 2 reasons: 1st, Jack (Pan) and Jack (Smee) are both hangers, are both members of this forum, and both run a tight shop with customer satisfaction as the primary motive. 2nd, you can use this quilt from temps above 70° down to the mid 30's. (or lower, depending on your metabolism, worn clothing, etc..) The JrB underquilts are wonderful items and the Nest will work great for you. It will pack down about the size of a gallon jug, and fit into a pannier nicely.
    You can as an alternative use a CCF (closed cell foam) pad inside a Hennessy, but i would find it very difficult to wrestle with a pad in a hammock using a bottom entry.
    Last edited by te-wa; 01-17-2009 at 08:55.

Images
    Welcome, Lowrider! You will quickly figure that diagonal thing out. Once you are in, just put your left shoulder and head near the left side of the hammock, with your feet in the other end. That's it.You can lay in other positions or directions, including right down the middle. But you will most likely be most comfy on the diagonal, as per the hammocks design.

You can probably get that "twin size down quilt folded in half as an undercover" to work for you, but it will require some significant fiddling and figuring out a way to get it suspended correctly. But those JRB's quilts are excellent and designed specifically for the HH models, as well as others. There is some money involved, but they will not take up nearly as much room on your motor cycle compared to other equally warm solutions. Plus they are just plain nice and luxurious, and last forever if stored and maintained properly.

For the temps you will be camping in, that HH SS would have worked A-OK also. I can use it in the high 20s with little trouble, especially with the added kidney/torso pads and/or adding a down vest. Up in the 30s by itself, as long as I use the space blanket as recommended. Some folks have managed to use the SS at WAY lower temps by adding various items. There is a learning curve (as with most things hammock related), and a few folks never do get the SS to work ok for them- but quite a few others have very good results. I think it's biggest advantage is the built in wind and rain/snow blocking properties of the UC, with no additional equipment required. A real benefit with a small tarp or if the wind shifts on you or if your tarp pitch is less than optimum. On the down( no pun intended!) side ( other than it just doesn't work for a few folks) is the pad is very fragile and takes up more room than equally warm down.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Not answering your questions, but thank you for your service back in that fracas in SE Asia 40 years ago. Funny, back then I was one of those hippy protesters, but now I realize how important service to our country is. Thank you!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The SuperShelter will NOT fit a Safari. The Safari is far to big to fit.

The Safari is super comfortable, but it's size makes fitting anything underneath more difficult.

The comforter idea can probably be made to work, but will take a lot of fitting. Probably about the only thing that will be big enough.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Lowrider,

Welcome to the Hanging Gang....

Mikeinfhaz states to case of JRB quilts well.... You should know that all of the Standard Family of JRB Quilts will fit you and your Safari HH.... It may also please you to know that I'm also a 100,000+ Beemer rider and that probably half of thse miles have been with Harley mounted buddy both of us then using HH and JRB quilts (A Nest at 7x7x8, takes up about 20 % of the lower tub section of a Harley side case).

The JRB Mt Washington UQ will also fit your HH.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    The SuperShelter will NOT fit a Safari. The Safari is far to big to fit.

The Safari is super comfortable, but it's size makes fitting anything underneath more difficult.

The comforter idea can probably be made to work, but will take a lot of fitting. Probably about the only thing that will be big enough.
    Oh yes, that is correct- my error. The SS are custom fit for either the backpacker/expedition size, or a longer model with wider pad for the Explorer. Not the Safari!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Not answering your questions, but thank you for your service back in that fracas in SE Asia 40 years ago. Funny, back then I was one of those hippy protesters, but now I realize how important service to our country is. Thank you!
    Red Hat,

WIthout starting another discussion.....I do appreciate your comments!!

Thanks so much.

Joe

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Lowrider,

Welcome to the Hanging Gang....

Mikeinfhaz states to case of JRB quilts well.... You should know that all of the Standard Family of JRB Quilts will fit you and your Safari HH.... It may also please you to know that I'm also a 100,000+ Beemer rider and that probably half of thse miles have been with Harley mounted buddy both of us then using HH and JRB quilts (A Nest at 7x7x8, takes up about 20 % of the lower tub section of a Harley side case).

The JRB Mt Washington UQ will also fit your HH.

Pan
    Pan,

Thanks for the info!! Once I get the Safari I'll see if I can figure out how to stay in the thing and then make some decisions on extras. You guys make nice stuff.

I have a Harley and a Buell, but I spend most of my time touring on a Honda ST1300 and my sons ride a Victory and a 1200 Bandit. Can't wait for warm weather...where is that **** global warming when you need it!!

Lowrider howdy to you

I Also am in the finial stages of tweaking a HH expedition for moto touring on motorcycles, a 1300,1100 and a klr. Used the HH last year and worked out pretty good have since added the zipper mod#2, a snug fit, have a trash bag full of speer down getting ready to try my hand at a DIY over quilt.

I visit two forums to keep up to date and seldom post on either one just read the news, this is one of them, the better one I might add it has led me to break out a 55 year old singer and make a cat cut tent tarp out of a sportsman guide camo tarp and a set of tank panniers for the klr saying all that because I have found it quite rewarding in spite of the outcome.

Not to hijack the thread I chose down for the pack ability which in my case is at a premium on either of the bikes I ride because I also pack a tent when hanging isn't an option which has happened out west on occasion

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast