Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Daughters First Hang w/Dad

Took my youngest out this weekend for an over-nighter; she's 12. It was her first backpacking trip, over-nighter and first hang in a hammock.

Destination: Shepard's Point Trail, Trail of Tears State Park, Missouri. We fit two hammocks on top of a bluff overlooking the Mississippi and the state of Illinoies. The Bald eagles perched "below" us.

Weather; overcast w/periods of sun; highs in the low 40's, lows, about 26 with a windchill in the teens on top of that bluff

Hammocks; She was in a Hennessy with a Warbonnet Edge tarp and a full length 0 degree incubator top and bottom quilt....needless to say she was warm and toasty at night! I had my Warbonnet BB dl with a HG cuben fiber tarp w/doors; used a 20 degree pheonix UQ and a 40 degree Zpacks sleeping bag (looks just like a Top Quilt with foot box and all, no zipper) that weights 11 oz. I'll have to do a review on that...if you're looking for an ultralight top quilt for 3 season or 2.75 season, this is it!!

Fingernails; glow in the dark

it's a relatively short hike along a small loop; the trail was muddy and it was very brisk but still beautiful.

Discoveries:
    -quite a few Bald eagles; they were really out along the river, saw the largest I've ever seen, absolutely huge!
    -A stand of bamboo; she commented she expected to see a panda bear! Probably a few hundered feet long by 50 ft of bamboo thicket. Not sure how it got to Missouri but it was neat
    -Interesting Ice formations; look like creeks froze at the surface and then the water ran out/dried out leaving a thin layer...okay, you had to see this in person to appreciate it.
    -you can't sit in the underquilt, it won't support your weight, you have to sit in the hammock

Needless to say we were chilly sitting around camp but there were trains passing by at the foot of the bluff we were on and huge barges making their way up and down the Mississippi throughout the day and at night the barges are beautiful with their lights.

Enjoyed a wonderful meal of shepard's pie at shepard's point (that worked out well) that was simply delicious. I used onions, mushrooms, and hamburger I'd dehydrated with a packet of instant Idaho butter mashed potatoes. Heated the water, re-hydrated the corn and stuff and then added the instant potatoes; it was simply outstanding. Breakfast was coffee, hot chocolate, and maple flavored instant oat-meal.

It snowed a "granular" type of snow during the night; interesting looking stuff, like small styrofoam pellets.

We had a great time; her girlfriends (and she's all girl) couldn't understand why in the world she would go out in the woods...go out in the woods with her dad...go out in the woods with her dad in the freezing cold

I carried almost all of the weight but let her use my Gossamer Gear Murmur pack; she carried 2 liters of water, an extra down jacket, a book, a compact, a foundation brush, mascara...you know, the essentials.

The objective of the trip was to give her a good experience, to love her, to try and burn the memories of the trip into my mind so when she's gone, living her life, I'll remember. Many of you know what I mean and because you know, you also know how much it meant to me.

Enjoy the day; it's about the only thing you know you have...at least for right now!

Sorry for the poor mobile phone pics but it gives you the idea.

Gideon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, WWBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    Woopies.
    Fantastic!! Well done dad.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Well done indeed.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Looks like a very special time with your daughter. Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Great job dad.... Thanks for sharing this..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Its always great to get out and have some adventures with the kids. I have realized that my kids enjoy it more than they admit. Last few times I took all my girls camping they didnt seem that excited while on the trip. But ever since then they wont stop bugging me about going camping again.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Well done indeed. I took my 16 year old daughter out last summer with one of her friends on the AT for an introduction to backpacking. It was my first hang, the girls stayed in my tent. I don't think I could convince her to go in cold weather though. I'm sure both of you will remember the trip for a very long time. The photos are great, I particularly like the cocoa one and the father daughter.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I love stories like this, they make me happy.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Good job Dad... one way or the other that trip she will remember forever...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    You da man Dad. Great job and awesome trip. Glad to see father daughter stuff. I don't have any daughters only sons so I like hearing stories like this.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast