Polar Fleece underblanket

I have camped lots, but hammocked seldom. For me, hanging is now preferred except when car camping in National/State Parks. I don't camp below 45F (7C) if I can help it. Various sleeping pads have worked well, but of course tend to shift or bunch up.

I am wondering about a polar fleece underblanket. The standard material is not windproof, but the Windstopper variety is both windproof and breathable (I believe it might be a GoreTex product).

Has there been a thread discussing this 'mid-level' insulation rather than the now traditional (down etc.) UQs?

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    It will probably work to a degree if you can keep it right up against the hammock with no air gaps. Polar fleece has not well accepted as a UQ mainly because of its bulk. Too bulky and heavy for packing but might be OK for car camping. Let us know how it works.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If I remember correctly the "neat sheet" product has been used for windproofing a a fleece underquilt. I think some have sewn the fleece right to the neat sheet while others have layered them. But I am not any good and finding archived threads.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I don't know about a thread on fleece underblankets. Spend some time with the search feature, you may find something about it.

I have a microfleece topquilt blanket in which one side is covered by ripstop nylon, not silnylon... so it breathes, and it is good down to 50 deg. I bet this would work as an underquilt as well. I typically use my JRB Hudson River as an underquilt when I use this fleece topquilt. It was easy for ZQ to make and didn't cost alot for comfort down to 50Deg. Below 50 I switch to using the JRB Hudson River as the topquilt and a Speer Snugfit underquilt on the bottom. This takes me down to mid 20's.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    We have talked about the pros & cons of fleece here before.
    My feelings are that you could get the same warmth with less weight & bulk by making your underquilt with one of the "puffy" type insulators, like down or synthetic.
    For a lightweight summer quilt, I think one could do well by using a sheet type synthetic covered by very light weight nylon shell. That would also provide some degree of wind protection. How much depends on the type shell.

Bottom line for me is that you can do better than fleece in most cases, although I still like my fingerless fleece gloves.

The "Windstopper" thing always seams a little amiss to me.
    If there is a layer of wind blocking material between two layers of fleece, the outer layer of fleece isn't doing much in the way of insulating when the wind is blowing.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Polartec Windbloc, not Gore Windstopper

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    I am wondering about a polar fleece underblanket. The standard material is not windproof, but the Windstopper variety is both windproof and breathable (I believe it might be a GoreTex product).
    I used a fleece sleeping bag liner (not wind blocking type) in my recent -27F night camping with Shug. It adds about another 10* to your system, but was one of the most frustrating aspects of that night. Not easy getting in/out of a mummy liner in a hammock. As a liner, you don't care about blocking wind.

You are confusing Gore Windstopper with Polartec Windbloc. You want the latter. I have a LLBean Wind Challenger jacket and a balaclava my wife made for me, both of Polartec Windbloc. Good stuff. I hike/snowshoe in my Windbloc jacket at temperatures down to 0F. It is NOT breathable however. If you put it up next to your mouth, you cannot blow through it at all. I have to be careful with perspiration beneath the jacket. OTOH, its warm as h*ll in the wind.

For a cheap experiment, just go to a fabric outlet and buy 2 yards of Windbloc. Should cost you <$20.

Now, if you really want insulation and wind protection, make a down quilt with a Gore Windstopper shell. I am currently testing a Montbell Permafrost jacket for BGT, and it is unbelievably warm. This is the jacket I've used as under-hammock insulation on all my Winter camping outings this year.

--Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I used a fleece sleeping bag liner. As a liner, you don't care about blocking wind.
    Yes, I have one for ground camping and it is quite usefull to have available. I agree though, it can sometimes be a little confining/confusing as a liner even on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    You are confusing Gore Windstopper with Polartec Windbloc. For a cheap experiment, just go to a fabric outlet and buy 2 yards of Windbloc. Should cost you <$20.
    Great information, thanks, and rather what I had in mind. I can sew well enough or get someone to put some darts in the ends. And if it is not snug against the HH bottom it won't matter that it doesn't breath. And it might have other uses around camp in cool weather. Thanks again for the lead.

Images
    Fleece tends to be heavy and bulky, but cheaper and easier to work with than others.

I used to lay on a fleece blanket indoors when it got chilly. It would only work into the 60's maybe 50's for me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I am not a hiker. I canoe, use the pontoon boat, or car camp, so maybe polar fleece is OK for my situation. I am now on the hunt for some PolarTec material to make an simple underblanket for the shoulder seasons. The shape of this blanket will duplicate the hammock, so maybe won't be that big. If I put a small ring at each end I should be able to attach it to the suspension line at night, but use it as a cape/shawl in the evenings or mornings. Here is a link to the selection of fabrics available. Malden Mills . And thanks for the direction.

Images
    I will say I love the polar tec fleece. I have a couple that are made out of that and wear them a lot.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts